12 volt plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 volt plug

Does anyone happen to know whether or not the Imagine 2670mk has a 12 volt plug? I have done a fairly thorough search but haven’t found it yet. Need it for my inverter.

I don't believe there are 12V plugs in any GDRV products. But they are fairly easy to install as a modification. Many of us have done so. We'd be happy to help you with suggestions when you're ready.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      I don't believe there are 12V plugs in any GDRV products. But they are fairly easy to install as a modification. Many of us have done so. We'd be happy to help you with suggestions when you're ready.

Jim
      Thanks Jim

Comment

Originally posted by philwa55 View Post
        Does anyone happen to know whether or not the Imagine 2670mk has a 12 volt plug? I have done a fairly thorough search but haven’t found it yet. Need it for my inverter.
        Around here, when someone says "inverter" they're usually talking about a unit with a 1,000-watt to 3,000-watt capacity. I'm guessing and hoping that yours is much smaller than that?

I ask because typical 12-volt plugs will rarely withstand much more than about 30 amps of current; some won't even do that for long before dangerously overheating. A 400-watt inverter - enough for charging mobile devices but not much more - is about as much as you can safely plug in that way, and maybe that's all your're asking about.

If your inverter has a higher capacity then consider other safer ways to connect it to your battery power.
        Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

Around here, when someone says "inverter" they're usually talking about a unit with a 1,000-watt to 3,000-watt capacity. I'm guessing and hoping that yours is much smaller than that?

I ask because typical 12-volt plugs will rarely withstand much more than about 30 amps of current; some won't even do that for long before dangerously overheating. A 400-watt inverter - enough for charging mobile devices but not much more - is about as much as you can safely plug in that way, and maybe that's all your're asking about.

If your inverter has a higher capacity then consider other safer ways to connect it to your battery power.
          Yes, it is just a small inverter that I occasionally use when dry camping

Comment

Yes, it is just a small inverter that I occasionally use when dry camping
            I've had those before. It's good for charging a phone or running a device like an LED tv. As long as the inverter comes with a 12V plug already installed, it should be fine. All we'd need to do is make sure that the 12V wiring the wiring and fuse in the RV is large enough for the 12V socket's current draw.
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

I am doing the exact same thing in the exact same camper. I run a small 300watt inverter to just run the TV and a blue ray player which worked perfectly plugged into my cigarette lighter in my previous Jayco. If you look at the wiring for the TV elevator you will notice it is easily accessible and the gauge appears to be about a 10 gauge (much heavier than the Jayco) Since I would never use the TV elevator and the TV (running on inverter) I see little chance of blowing a fuse. My plan is to test first, then splice a power port under the TV to plug my inverter into.

I will try to remember to post my results in the spring when I have my install done.

Steve
              2019 Imagine 2670MK
              2020 F250 6.7 Lariat
              1983 Hottie Wife

Comment

Originally posted by bydabeav View Post
                I am doing the exact same thing in the exact same camper. I run a small 300watt inverter to just run the TV and a blue ray player which worked perfectly plugged into my cigarette lighter in my previous Jayco. If you look at the wiring for the TV elevator you will notice it is easily accessible and the gauge appears to be about a 10 gauge (much heavier than the Jayco) Since I would never use the TV elevator and the TV (running on inverter) I see little chance of blowing a fuse. My plan is to test first, then splice a power port under the TV to plug my inverter into.

I will try to remember to post my results in the spring when I have my install done.

Steve
                Thanks Steve
                we also are coming from a Jayco with the 12 volt socket by the tv. I am looking forward to seeing your install. I was thinking of putting it in the same place but didn’t really want to run a dedicated line.

Comment

Well bad news to start. I set up a test by simply unplugging the switch for the tv lift and ran those wires direct to my inverter. It did not work and as of this moment I am not sure why.

The DVD player plugged into inverter worked perfectly but the TV would not power up. The TV when turned on would flicker on it would immediately turn off. I suspect one of 3 possible causes. Note the TV works just fine when camper running on shore power.

1. The TV is a cheap off-brand unit I have never heard of and it is slightly larger than the Jayco unit (LG). Perhaps the cheaper TV and larger size requires more power than the 300 watt inverter can put out. That said the inverter set up in the garage will fun the 46" garage TV (SONY) just fine.

2. Ambiant temp. It was COLD the day I tested in the camper. Perhaps with the TV being cold it was requiring more than normal power for the start up phase. Will test again in the spring when it is warmer.

3. OEM wiring. Perhaps it is too long or not heavy enough. In the spring I will test some 10 gauge wiring direct from battery (fused of course) to the inverter.

If you have better luck I would really appreciate you letting me know how you made out.

Steve

Thanks Steve
                  we also are coming from a Jayco with the 12 volt socket by the tv. I am looking forward to seeing your install. I was thinking of putting it in the same place but didn’t really want to run a dedicated line.
                  2019 Imagine 2670MK
                  2020 F250 6.7 Lariat
                  1983 Hottie Wife

Comment

Well bad news to start. I set up a test by simply unplugging the switch for the tv lift and ran those wires direct to my inverter. It did not work and as of this moment I am not sure why.

The DVD player plugged into inverter worked perfectly but the TV would not power up. The TV when turned on would flicker on it would immediately turn off. I suspect one of 3 possible causes. Note the TV works just fine when camper running on shore power.

1. The TV is a cheap off-brand unit I have never heard of and it is slightly larger than the Jayco unit (LG). Perhaps the cheaper TV and larger size requires more power than the 300 watt inverter can put out. That said the inverter set up in the garage will fun the 46" garage TV (SONY) just fine.

2. Ambiant temp. It was COLD the day I tested in the camper. Perhaps with the TV being cold it was requiring more than normal power for the start up phase. Will test again in the spring when it is warmer.

3. OEM wiring. Perhaps it is too long or not heavy enough. In the spring I will test some 10 gauge wiring direct from battery (fused of course) to the inverter.

If you have better luck I would really appreciate you letting me know how you made out.

Steve

Here's one other possibility.. Is the 300 watt inverter a "Pure sine wave" type or not? Some electronics will not function correctly unless the input is a pure sine wave. The photo below shows two different sine wave patterns. The smooth pattern is a pure sine wave. All electronic devices are designed to run on the alternating current pattern. The choppy wave is called a modified sine wave and many lower cost inverters put out this type of pattern. Your TV may not be happy with that kind of input signal.

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie
                    2024 Solitude 310GK

Comment

Steve

Just curious, have you tried plugging the inverter into your truck and plugging your tv in from there? Might give you a clue as to whether it is the tv or the line. Most TVs require far less than 300 watts

Comment

I installed a 12V outlet next to the radio for a XM radio. When I tried plugging a 180W PSW inverter in I got a low voltage alarm, the 14ga wire wasn't good enough for the heavier load of the inverter.
                        2017 Imagine 2650 & 2019 F-250 (Got tired of the F-150)

Comment

thanks. Sounds like I will have to run a dedicated line.

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Here's one other possibility.. Is the 300 watt inverter a "Pure sine wave" type or not? Some electronics will not function correctly unless the input is a pure sine wave. The photo below shows two different sine wave patterns. The smooth pattern is a pure sine wave. All electronic devices are designed to run on the alternating current pattern. The choppy wave is called a modified sine wave and many lower cost inverters put out this type of pattern. Your TV may not be happy with that kind of input signal.

Jim
                            Sorry for the delay in reply. Yes, it is a pure sine wave inverter.
                            2019 Imagine 2670MK
                            2020 F250 6.7 Lariat
                            1983 Hottie Wife

Comment

Just curious, have you tried plugging the inverter into your truck and plugging your tv in from there? Might give you a clue as to whether it is the tv or the line. Most TVs require far less than 300 watts
                              This is kind of exactly the plan. When it is warm enough (hopefully Easter weekend) I will test fully. I will post my findings in a few weeks.

Camper is storage and I am unable to put the slides out. I also want to have the tv warm as I think perhaps the below freezing temp may have had something to do with the TV not working perfectly.
                              2019 Imagine 2670MK
                              2020 F250 6.7 Lariat
                              1983 Hottie Wife

Comment

Working...
                              X