No announcement yet.

Connecting a Solar Generator to 2022 Reflection Inverter Prep for boondocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting a Solar Generator to 2022 Reflection Inverter Prep for boondocking

I have an Ecoflow Delta Pro, which is one of many different models/manufacturers of Solar Generators. This one has a 30 amp 3 prong RV plug port to use its 3,000+ watts of inverted AC power. My question is, can I connect it to the orange (out/dead) cable (one of the RV's 30 amp inverter breakers) to feed all of the outlets, excluding the Air Conditioners and Fireplace? I plan on connecting the correct orange cable in the front storage compartment to a 30 Amp Generator Power Inlet Box. Then use a short Power Cord with 30 AMP Male Standard to 30 AMP Female Locking Adapter. This is all new to me, which is why I am posting for confirmation and or needed corrections/additions. I have 800 watts of portable solar that I plan on connecting to the Delta Pro's built-in solar controller.
    Gary & Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 226RK
    2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Diesel

SoccerDad

​​​​​​Welcome to our owners technical forum.

I am certainly not an expert on the Ecoflow Delta Pro, but if I understand this correctly, this is basically a battery.

There are two parts to battery power supply. Maximum power output (watts) and time that this power is available (hours). Thus, a fully charged Ecoflow 3.6 kWH unit can deliver 3600 watts for an hour or (for example) 900 watts for 4 hours. 900 watts at 120V is 7.5 amps. Before getting too deep into this, it might be wise to calculate your expected energy usage to understand whether 800 watts (or often less) per hour of sunshine will supply what you need during the day and recharge the Ecoflow sufficiently for what you need after dark.

I realize that this does not answer your "how to connect this?" question, but sizing the connection will need to comprehend maximum current draw.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by SoccerDad View Post
      I have an Ecoflow Delta Pro, which is one of many different models/manufacturers of Solar Generators. This one has a 30 amp 3 prong RV plug port to use its 3,000+ watts of inverted AC power. My question is, can I connect it to the orange (out/dead) cable (one of the RV's 30 amp inverter breakers) to feed all of the outlets, excluding the Air Conditioners and Fireplace? I plan on connecting the correct orange cable in the front storage compartment to a 30 Amp Generator Power Inlet Box. Then use a short Power Cord with 30 AMP Male Standard to 30 AMP Female Locking Adapter. This is all new to me, which is why I am posting for confirmation and or needed corrections/additions. I have 800 watts of portable solar that I plan on connecting to the Delta Pro's built-in solar controller.
      Gary,
      I'd connect the Ecoflow to your trailer the same way you'd connect to a campground pedestal. Your camper has a 50A service connection, so you'll need an adapter added to your existing cable or get one exclusively for use with the Ecoflow. Something similar to what's shown below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	adapter.JPG
Views:	437
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	74723
      When you're using the Ecoflow and have it connected to the camper, while it's not intended as an on/off switch it would be a good standard practice IMHO to turn off the converter circuit breaker. At least I assume you don't want it charging the trailer battery.

If weather (or sticky fingers) are a concern (manual says do not use around water...duh, huh?), I'd figure out a way to route the cable through a storage door by creating a custom access hole to route the cable through to the EcoFlow that would be in the storage compartment. That or weather-proof locking container with ventilation. FYI, as you might know the battery is a LifePO4 (they call it a "LFP") so using it in a storage compartment shouldn't be a problem as long as the device doesn't get too hot per the manual.

Guest -- you might be interested to know the Delta Pro is the first manual I've read that recommends what you've been advocating for some time:

Storing a battery with a low charge for a long period shortens its lifespan. DELTA Pro mitigates the damage by putting the battery into hibernation mode. To get the most out of the battery, make sure it is about 60% before putting DELTA Pro into long-term storage, and then once every three months, discharge the battery to 30% and recharge it back to 60%.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard.

They not only suggest storing the battery close to the mid point but suggest cycling it to keep it working properly over long term storage. Very nice!

The high end charger I use for my RC planes will charge or discharge to the midpoint for storage, and cycle the batteries fully (to check capacity) or to the midpoint after a full cycle.

Oh and balances packs as well. Here is one example of a newer unit from what I have.

https://www.progressiverc.com/produc...gle%20Shopping

Thank you for sharing. These auxiliary battery/chargers are perfect for those with CPap machines.

Jim
        Last edited by Guest; 01-17-2022, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoccerDad View Post
          I do not see any reason why your prospective idea will not work. Just make sure that you have the solar generator OFF before hooking to shore power, and vise versa. Pictures of the setup would be great to see. I am guessing that you will be putting this generator in the front compartment?

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thank you @Cate&Rob for the welcome and thank you all for responding to my question. howson - I know that I can fall back on that option, but I was hoping that I could find a means to connect without going outside of the RV and/or without adding a transfer switch. If I do end up going that route I will likely purchase or make a 12-15 foot, 30 to 50amp cable that will be lighter and easier to manage on those boondockihg trips.

I also have an additional 4 x 200 watt solar panels for the roof that I will eventually install, along with a "Just-in-Case" 2,500 watt Champion generator.

I'm still hoping that someone will be able to confirm or not if I can use the built in 30amp, 10 gauge orange cable with the built -in 30 amp inverter breaker to connect my Delta Pro.
            Gary & Judy

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

I do not see any reason why your prospective idea will not work. Just make sure that you have the solar generator OFF before hooking to shore power, and vise versa. Pictures of the setup would be great to see. I am guessing that you will be putting this generator in the front compartment?

Brian
              That's what I'm thinking also Brian, but I wanted to put it out there in case anyone sees an issue with it. Yes, in the front compartment and I'll try to get some photos for you. I know what you mean about turning off the Delta Pro prior to connecting to shore power, but from the schematics someone presented in another thread I am thinking that the Inverter out / dead line might be bypassed when connected to shore power. I won't plan on that until I find out for sure. I still have so much to learn about the inverter prep setup and solar. It would have been nice if they published more details about the factory inverter prep and solar setup.
              Gary & Judy

Comment

The Inverter prep is a loop. As discussed in the other thread it "leaves" one breaker and "returns" on another breaker. When changing from shore power to the solar generator you will have to turn off the breaker that you are using for the solar generator. The breakers for the Inverter prep both tied into the completer 120 v ac power system. The inverter prep option does not come with an automatic transfer switch.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                X