Dead battery when disconnected….

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

According to discussion about this, that I have had with folks at Grand Design, they build to the requirements of their governing organization, RVIA. Having a "battery switch" and having certain circuits that bypass it are part of these requirements.

Rob
    Hmmmm. I can't see it as a safety device as it will be in the on position when you are inside/using the trailer and it obviously doesn't isolate...
    Do you remember what the 'intent' of the battery switch is? Personally, I don't use it but I like to know the logic behind decisions even if I don't agree with the result.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
      Hmmmm. I can't see it as a safety device as it will be in the on position when you are inside/using the trailer and it obviously doesn't isolate...
      Do you remember what the 'intent' of the battery switch is? Personally, I don't use it but I like to know the logic behind decisions even if I don't agree with the result.
      A while back, Joseph Jlawles2 found what appears to be access to RVIA requirements. https://my.rvia.org/store?category=a0L410000075wYaEAI

However, when trying to purchase one of these documents, I encounter the statement "During the process you will be asked to affiliate your company to your account." This would fit with the information that I received from RVIA several years ago, that their requirements (that we each pay for when purchasing an RV) are available only to members of their organization.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

As with all industry-generated organizations, their 'requirements' are industry suggestions. Not legally binding to members. There are competitive considerations to using or not the RVIA recommendations. The publications should be publicly available to inform the customer as to what and why of construction.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
          As with all industry-generated organizations, their 'requirements' are industry suggestions. Not legally binding to members. There are competitive considerations to using or not the RVIA recommendations. The publications should be publicly available to inform the customer as to what and why of construction.
          I was able to review a copy at school (2020 version) of the ANSI/RVIA Standard for Low Voltage Systems in Conversion and Recreational Vehicles (Trivia note: "Low Voltage" is now defined as <60v.) The document was remarkably uninformative--and often vaguely referenced a slew of other standards including SAE, UL, NFPA and ASTM. Most of us here would find it mind-boggling to try and determine what's applicable in all of these standards (and what's not) let alone the average RV buyer.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I was able to review a copy at school (2020 version) of the ANSI/RVIA Standard for Low Voltage Systems in Conversion and Recreational Vehicles (Trivia note: "Low Voltage" is now defined as <60v.) The document was remarkably uninformative--and often vaguely referenced a slew of other standards including SAE, UL, NFPA and ASTM. Most of us here would find it mind-boggling to try and determine what's applicable in all of these standards (and what's not) let alone the average RV buyer.
            Thanks Howard!
            You just saved me a lot of searching, trying to trick their authorization system . . . and $45 .

When I first opened an access panel and saw the wiring and plumbing . . . then learned that all towable RVs are built this way . . . I tried to track down what was included in the "RVIA inspection" that we all pay for. There was no way that they were going to tell me this. Anyone who has read this forum for a while will know my (personal) opinion of the RVIA regulations and inspections.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have read some exerpts from the RVIA documents. Still, there is no reason to make them difficult to find as confusing as they may be to read. I'm always interested to find CYA documents. I used to be involved in writing informative, advisory, and CYA industry documents in a former life.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Excepting the rvia I guess, but low voltage in the rest of the world is anything under 1000v
                2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                  Excepting the rvia I guess, but low voltage in the rest of the world is anything under 1000v
                  Liability is the issue with the battery switch.

At a minimum, a label should be placed next to the battery switch to explain how its configured. This would prevent frustration and an expensive battery replacement. I also learned this lesson on our first trip where we had been plugged in at home with the battery switch turned off when loading. When we arrived at our dry camp, the battery was at around 25%.

Jim

Comment

Replacing the factory battery switch with a complete 12V electrical system on/off switch makes sense to me. If the switch is off, nothing can discharge the battery. If I have accidentally left it this way, I will be reminded when I go to hitch to the truck . . . because the landing gear won't work .

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob I agree Rob. Actually where the disconnect switch is in the 303 is a hazard. Should it get accidentally bumped, several important things loose power like the fridge controls.

I agree with the true disconnect, or at least add a second long term disconnect for those people who store their units. I have not found an internal battery box that is easy to access when properly installed. The current battery box (which the dealer did not put the screws in) requires screwing the top half to the bottom half for proper isolation and ventialation.

There are probably a few campers out there, but most of the ones I have looked at in the past couple of years all have a powered jack. Put the disconnect on the negative side of the battery, and ensure nothing is between the disconnect and the battery, then all should be good. I guess it's one of those CYA things b/c people will turn the disconnect back off after connecting to the TV.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2
                        On the battery box . . . typically the lower half is securely fastened into place with many screws, but only a couple of screws are needed to hold the top half in place. Makes checking on the battery reasonably easy.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

This RVIA makes me wonder.. Do they not realize that ultimately we are the end user and we pay everything that they get? Maybe in the beginning it was a better thing than it is now but I think having absolute "control" and makes it impossible to obtain any information tells us what they really are.
                          I think now with other agencies available to take action on our behalf on safety issues and social media that the RVIA is just a open wallet that we fill.
                          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                          Nash County, NC
                          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Cate&Rob Rob, wonder how many boot leg things are out there. https://archive.org/details/ansi-rvi...icles/mode/2up
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Cate&Rob Rob, I have 4 screws holding the upper section in place. The placement of the box is not ideal for having to use screws to hold the lid in place, plus needing tools defers one from wanting to check the fluid levels.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2
                                Thank-you Joseph ! This should be an interesting read.

Rob
                                Cate & Rob
                                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X