Momentum 21G Generator wiring location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreggGDMomentum View Post
    Hi, new here and hope all my signature shows up, but just purchased a 21G myself and ordering the Onan 4.0 Jenny myself. Just to be clear, did you say you had to wire the AC output to the box under the slide out and behind the Nautilus water system AND wire the 12VDC power direct to the batteries for starting purposes? Thanks for all your help! Oh, Gen Prep installed from factory so it appears I have the same install.
    I have a 21G with generator. I'm not sure what generator prep means - I'm hoping it means all wires are in place and you just need to connect wiring to generator.

I can tell you how mine is wired....

AC output should go to an ATS (automatic transfer switch). On my 21G the ATS is attached to the backside of the main distribution panel (it's at the top of hte backside and is attached to the panel with a couple screws.)

There is a 2AWG cable from the generator to the battery bank. Refer to installation manual for minimum cable size here. If batteries are on trailer tongue, I'm assuming the 2 AWG cable is sufficient. This is mainly for the starter

I HOPE you have the remote gen start button with your "convenience center" inside above the TV. If you don't....ouch. That is a real pain to run wires to, trust me.

I found some pictures below that might help.....

If you have other questions I can try to answer them for you, but warn...I am not a professional

This is a picture I found with the bed cover removed. note the AC wiring coming through the side of the generator compartment into the "wet bay". Is this part of the pre-wire package?

Click image for larger version

Name:	gen.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	101278

Also, a breaker in the main distribution panel for the generator is shared with the GFI outlets. Do you have this as part of the pre-wire package?

Name:	panel2.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	101279

Below is the remote gen start with remote fuel gauge (ignore the panel situation to the left....but, this is how I know it is a HUGE pain to get wiring to this location). I really hop this is installed as par tof the prep package

Name:	remote gen start.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	101280

Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Thanks, I read your other thread about your solar package you installed and I was impressed! (since you said you are not a professional, lol). Anyway, I do have the Gen prep factory installed with the 5 wire harness in the Gen bay and the same start/hour panel as yours and the fuel lines in the galvanized bay with the insulation around the galvanized generator housing. But, there seems to be no additional wiring for AC or DC preinstalled. I honestly only had it a week and a half and it's freezing and wet here is the pittsburgh area so I'm planning my install now for a warmer and drier day. I understand about the wiring and don't want to get into the floor insulation if I don't need to. My TV and radio had no signal and my satellite box came wired incorrectly and just getting those wires out of the wall were exciting enough. It appears that they will need installed and I appreciate you telling me where yours go. Thanks again!
      Current: 22" Momentum 381MS, 2020 F350 Dually 6.7 diesel, 4.10 rear 32k Reese 5th wheel hitch
      In the past: 22' Momentum 21G, 21' F150 XLT Screw 5.0 w 3.73, Andersen Hitch
      Q7 Diesel, 22" Ozark THX 1900. 11' F350 Crew, King Ranch, 8' bed, dully, 08' Weekend Warrior LED 3505 triple axle 5th wheel. 04' F250 diesel, 05' Keystone tailgater with old Reese WD hitch, no sway control

Comment

Thanks, I read your other thread about your solar package you installed and I was impressed! (since you said you are not a professional, lol). Anyway, I do have the Gen prep factory installed with the 5 wire harness in the Gen bay and the same start/hour panel as yours and the fuel lines in the galvanized bay with the insulation around the galvanized generator housing. But, there seems to be no additional wiring for AC or DC preinstalled. I honestly only had it a week and a half and it's freezing and wet here is the pittsburgh area so I'm planning my install now for a warmer and drier day. I understand about the wiring and don't want to get into the floor insulation if I don't need to. My TV and radio had no signal and my satellite box came wired incorrectly and just getting those wires out of the wall were exciting enough. It appears that they will need installed and I appreciate you telling me where yours go. Thanks again!
        OK, I think that's a good start. When you get a chance, pull your distribution panel to verify you have an ATS on the backside. I hope you do. If you do not, you will need one. I highly recommend the WFCO T-30 because it's meant to work with your distribution panel and it's good quality (much better than the large plastic box style). Click on this link for more info https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/...sfer-switch-2/

So, it sounds like you'll need to run AC from the generator to the ATS. Side note: if you're not familiar with an ATS, it is the device that does not allow both shore power and generator power to flood the distribution panel at the same time. So you will have shore power coming into the ATS and generator power coming into the ATS. There will be one output to the distribution panel. The T-30 prioritizes generator power meaning if it senses both shore and generator power it will block shore power and allow only generator power. One thing to note about this, once you start the generator and the ATS senses power from the generator, the ATS will delay switchover to generator power about 30 seconds. This is to allow the generator to "warm up" before it is given a load. So when you start the generator, allow about 30 seconds before it is connected to the distribution panel...if that makes sense.

OK, once you have AC to the ATS, you'll need DC to the batteries. Below is a picture of the generator from the outside. The DC +/- is run through the floor and to the battery on the tongue. The fuel lines are also run through the floor then to the fuel tank in the rear (sounds like your trailer already has this).

AC runs along top into trailer and the 5 or so colorful wires do the same.

Name:	gen2t.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	101289

Under the generator compartment you see the DC+/- through the floor and to the battery at the tongue. The fuel lines go through floor and head back to fuel tank....they are protected by PVC pipe.

Name:	gen3t.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	101290

Concerning AC wiring, when you get a chance, I would look for 3 things:

1- Do you have an ATS, if so is there an AC wire to both generator and shore power input. If you do, there is a good chance you already have the AC wire pre-wired. Forums below will verify
        2- Remove bed and plywood "cover" over generator/wetbay area (easily done by removing 7 or 8 screws, then lifting it off the area), look for any AC pre-wiring for the generator - I hope it is there.
        3- If your trailer is not pre-wired with AC wiring, plan a path from distribution panel area to generator area.

I hope this is helpful. Keep us updated.

Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Thanks so much for all the detail, I only have the 2 fuel lines on the left front of the bay and my 5 wire harness comes out of the right rear and that is my only wires that are installed and the same colors that you have marked in the photo that go to the control panel. I'm heading out of town for the weekend to visit my son 4 hours away, unfortunately it will be a hotel weekend lol. We are planning a trip to NC over the holiday's that I will get her broken in and I can dig around remove some panels some and look for the AC hookups, ATS and such. Mine only came with 1 group 27 battery and I will be adding another. I have a Cummins/Onan P4500 portable we can use over that time frame from the previous camper.

I like the idea of the delay on the startup and I'm going to make sure that is built in, if not I'm adding it because you never know when someone (wife) might turn the air on then turn on the generator. My last camper had the transfer switch built in and charged the batteries when on shore power and when the generator was on. FYI 90% of the time this camper will be on shore power at my house then in a field with a generator hooked up for 2-3 days on the weekends and a few nights at campgrounds randomly.

Once again thanks for all the details and showing me where to look and what it looks like after install, it's time to dig in and see what's going on with my specific build. We went to get a 23G with the generator built in already but after they filled up the tanks the tongue weight was 1300lbs and that was too much for me to start with with only a dirt bike and miscellaneous on the rear axle. I've had my share of 3/4 and 1 tons, been there and done that and there is only 2 of us now (kids are grown). Anyway I couldn't pass up the deal on this one and worth installing the generator myself. I'm ordering the generator 12" extension pipe and exhaust kit this morning and hopefully I can get a couple nice days in January to install it. I will update and take some pictures when I dig in while in NC in a couple weeks.
          Current: 22" Momentum 381MS, 2020 F350 Dually 6.7 diesel, 4.10 rear 32k Reese 5th wheel hitch
          Q7 Diesel, 22" Ozark THX 1900. 11' F350 Crew, King Ranch, 8' bed, dully, 08' Weekend Warrior LED 3505 triple axle 5th wheel. 04' F250 diesel, 05' Keystone tailgater with old Reese WD hitch, no sway control

Comment

GreggGDMomentum

" a couple nice days in January", in Pittsburgh? Ha, you are wishful thinking.

Brian, just north of you.
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

GreggGDMomentum

Good luck with everything and enjoy your trailer. We have enjoyed ours.

About tongue weight...with all my modifications my 21G tongue weight is note 1350#. before mods tongue weight was about 1200#....the 920# figure on the website is misleading....It get's heavy fast. The generator will add some tongue weight as well :(
              Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Yeah, it was 920 when I measured at the dealer with it sitting in the lot. With full propane and one battery it was 1000. I put my bike, some gear and portable Onan P4500 generator, easy up, tool box behind the axle "in the garage" and other miscellaneous and leveling stuff in the storage bays up front and I was 840 for the ride home when I bought it, no gas in the gas tank behind the axle yet either. (weighed it when I got home) I realized even after they winterized it going up the hill on I-70 out of DC at the rest area they left me 3/4 tank of fresh water in the belly when I went to check on my load, but I'm not sure what that did to my tongue weight, yet. I drained it of course because I didn't need it and figured why carry it. I will find out soon what a full tank of water does to the tongue weight when I fill up the tank, but I suspect a full tank of water won't change the tongue weight but 50-75 lbs since the tanks are above the front axle at least what I can tell when I found the drain plugs in the dark and very foggy. I did notice a little more sway after I drained the water but at 840 I in my opinion that was light, I want it around 1100 tongue because I should be almost 8,600-9,000 loaded with water and other miscellaneous, and just under 8,000 without water.

If anyone is reading this and you do not have a hitch scale just by one, it will be the best $130 you ever spent in your life and answers every question about what you touch and move in your camper immediately. I have 2, one does 0-1,000 lbs and the other 0-2,000 lbs. Search Sure-line hitch scale.

Back to topic, lol I ordered the generator on Friday while driving, long story short I sent them a check so I have some time before they ship it. Even though it says "EVAP" in the part number there is no EVAP for the return line with the unit according to the "sales" guy. So, I have 2 gas lines and I'm not a mechanic by trade, but have had by share of turning wrenches enough to know that one is a feed line and one is a return line. So here is the question, can someone send me a picture of the sticker with the model number on their RV4000 EVAP generator? AND a picture of that their fuel lines are connected to? Thanks again for all the help and yeah a couple nice days in January in Pittsburgh, it's 25 and grey now, blah.

Comment

GreggGDMomentum

About tongue weight, I agree you will want something north of 1000#. 1100# with 8000-9000 trailer sounds good. With the F150, this trailer will want to move the truck around dues to extra height and width.

Concerning generator, I believe it does hav2 fuel lines. When the rain eases up I'll go snap a better picture.

I do have a picture of the tag "on file"

Name:	gen tag.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	101568
                  Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Awesome, that's the model I ordered, I'm going to check into the option section on your tag and see what that means. The one I ordered will be "good er nuff" till I get it, hopefully it will be nice enough outside by then you can get a picture of the fuel lines, lol. I don't think it hit 30 here today. I believe the EVAP come part of the unit, however someone said earlier it doesn't, but in another search today I found it in the drawings on page 30 of this Cummins/Onan document.

https://www.rvpartfinder.com/RepairP...ts+Manual+2016

I hope that link works if anyone is interested. I had some sway but I think heavier will definitely help. My Andersen hitch has arrived and I will be retiring my 20+ year old Reese hitch with no sway control, never had sway control before actually so I'm curious how it reacts. I read a lot of what others said about towing with a 1/2 ton on this site before I even bought the trailer and it all seems subjective. The better half and I leave Sunday for NC so I will learn the Andersen hitch soon. It wasn't bad driving home from the dealer with the 20 year old Reese, but I was expecting some sway and I have been blown around before with the 5th wheel and dully in the past when passing trucks so I already have some tolerance. If there is any possible way that I can avoid driving a 12mpg (not towing) brick I will. I would love to have another diesel but it is just been ridiculous $ for too long. I went for a 4 hour drive up route 22, 80,81 to Wilkes-Barre last weekend and got 24 mpg out of that 5.0 at 68-74 mph with the wind at my back on 93 gas.(Sheetz had a special on 93 locally) Impressive, would would like to stick with that when not towing. Only got 21 on the way back but I will take it. Thanks again for your assistance!

Comment

Awesome, that's the model I ordered, I'm going to check into the option section on your tag and see what that means. The one I ordered will be "good er nuff" till I get it, hopefully it will be nice enough outside by then you can get a picture of the fuel lines, lol. I don't think it hit 30 here today. I believe the EVAP come part of the unit, however someone said earlier it doesn't, but in another search today I found it in the drawings on page 30 of this Cummins/Onan document.

https://www.rvpartfinder.com/RepairP...ts+Manual+2016

I hope that link works if anyone is interested. I had some sway but I think heavier will definitely help. My Andersen hitch has arrived and I will be retiring my 20+ year old Reese hitch with no sway control, never had sway control before actually so I'm curious how it reacts. I read a lot of what others said about towing with a 1/2 ton on this site before I even bought the trailer and it all seems subjective. The better half and I leave Sunday for NC so I will learn the Andersen hitch soon. It wasn't bad driving home from the dealer with the 20 year old Reese, but I was expecting some sway and I have been blown around before with the 5th wheel and dully in the past when passing trucks so I already have some tolerance. If there is any possible way that I can avoid driving a 12mpg (not towing) brick I will. I would love to have another diesel but it is just been ridiculous $ for too long. I went for a 4 hour drive up route 22, 80,81 to Wilkes-Barre last weekend and got 24 mpg out of that 5.0 at 68-74 mph with the wind at my back on 93 gas.(Sheetz had a special on 93 locally) Impressive, would would like to stick with that when not towing. Only got 21 on the way back but I will take it. Thanks again for your assistance!
                      Let me know how the Andersen hitch works out. I have my eye on that. With my F250 I have never experienced sway with the 21G and Eqaul-i-zer WDH. I get about 9 to 10 mpg towing and 16-22 mpg without towing (diesel). If fuel costs were back to normal, I would say diesel is the way to go...but now it's really not.

Definitely 2 fuel lines back there

Name:	gen fuel.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	101603
                      Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

Let me know how the Andersen hitch works out. I have my eye on that. With my F250 I have never experienced sway with the 21G and Eqaul-i-zer WDH. I get about 9 to 10 mpg towing and 16-22 mpg without towing (diesel). If fuel costs were back to normal, I would say diesel is the way to go...but now it's really not.

Definitely 2 fuel lines back there

Name:	gen fuel.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	101603
                        Will do, hopefully I can travel 70mph rather comfortably with the new hitch and proper tongue weight, 64 was max with the old Reese hitch on I70-I76 with a bunch of semi's for the first travel. I have a rear sway bar installation on the schedule the 2nd week of January and that will only be another aid in the right direction of stability. Can't understand why American trucks don't come with them from the factory. 🤔
                        Last year I had a 2021 F250 gas for a month when my Q7 diesel was in the shop and it got 12-13 tops not towing so a diesel in that range is still definitely worth it for the torque and engine braking alone. I had no issues towing the 20ft Ozark, loaded is was 6,600 with water with the Q7 and with air suspension I didn't even need the WD hitch either with 770 on the tongue. But she was old and the suspension valve body was going and the DEF system was acting up and it was just time for it to be in the hands of someone who wanted to tinker with an older German car and I will put that 10k on something else. So, F150 here we come and get a 4.5 foot longer, 2 foot taller, 2200 lb heavier camper 🤣
                        You would have no issues with a 3/4 ton and a 21G, the longer wheelbase, weight of the truck itself is an huge advantage over sway, you could probably go as fast as you want with that setup rather safely and the diesel is just icing on the cake. Cheers

Comment

Working...
                        X