No announcement yet.

DC-DC Charge install Reflection 29RS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, not a victron video. It's been a while, lower budget flic.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

First time out with the new Renogy DC-DC charger and I am very happy with the install. Started out with about 70% batteries and had full charge when we stopped after the first 2 hours of our trip, solar was on as well but this was very early in the morning. I did have it switch to only 1/2 output and seen 10 amps at times on the Victron app. I did not test at full capacity but will try in the future. This is a great way to get charge to the batteries while traveling, especially in non sunny conditions if you have solar. The 12 v fridge was running the whole trip and the batteries were at 100% apon arrival.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers Hey Brian,

What did you run (ground) the negative on the INPUT side of your renogy dc to dc charger to? Best I can tell is the 7-pin ground runs to the same chassis ground as everything else in my system so I assume that is fine as well.

Just want to make sure I'm not doing something dumb by running the INPUT negative right to the chassis ground in my camper... Since (almost) everyone that wires these directly to TV run heavy gauge wire to the positive and negative TV terminals.

Thanks,

-Mike

Click image for larger version  Name:	Renogy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.7 KB ID:	92165
        2021 Reflection 150 260RD
        2022 Chevy 2500

Comment

netazure

I believe I used the ground from the 7 pin wire for the input, the output ground went to a buss bar that is also grounded to the chassis and the battery.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by netazure View Post
            Country Campers Hey Brian,

What did you run (ground) the negative on the INPUT side of your renogy dc to dc charger to? Best I can tell is the 7-pin ground runs to the same chassis ground as everything else in my system so I assume that is fine as well.

Just want to make sure I'm not doing something dumb by running the INPUT negative right to the chassis ground in my camper... Since (almost) everyone that wires these directly to TV run heavy gauge wire to the positive and negative TV terminals.

Thanks,

-Mike

Click image for larger version Name:	Renogy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.7 KB ID:	92165
            Mike, your signature does not indicate what tow vehicle you have. I connected mine as you have shown, using the 7-pin charge line. I have a 2022 F-150, which has some sort of "smarts" upstream of the 7-pin circuit. Anyway, when I connected it up for the first time, it worked, with the Renogy 20a DC-DC unit putting out about 17 amps (or, more accurately, my TT's batteries were drawing that). I recently took the first long trip with it, and noticed that the batteries were not notably charged more after 8 hours' driving. My conclusion is that the circuit did not like ~25 amps going in, and the truck shut it down. No fuses are blown, when I connect it now and start it, it will charge. What I do not know is how long it runs before the truck says no more. I'll be installing a solenoid, dedicated wires, etc. next.

To answer your question, I tied the input and output negatives together at the batteries, which is only a foot away from the DC-DC.
            Ottertail, Minnesota
            2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
            2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Thanks Alex & Brian!

Interesting about the long trip and it not charging the entire time. I do have solar as well (that can manually be shut on / off) but have read maybe the renogy thinks the battery is full if the solar is operating. If only manufacturers sent all RV's ready for boondocking from the factory =) hah.

I'll update signature! its a 22 chevy 2500.
              2021 Reflection 150 260RD
              2022 Chevy 2500

Comment

netazure -- I can't give you an engineering-level rationale reason for this input, but I'd attach the 12vDC negative directly to the 7-pin's negative. Probably not writing this 100% correct, I'll give it a go anyway: attaching the negative to the camper's frame means the electrons have to "find" their way back to the battery versus a direct path.

If you have a Mictuning box (which many of us have installed in lieu of the OEM-provided junction box) it's very easy to do.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                  attaching the negative to the camper's frame means the electrons have to "find" their way back to the battery versus a direct path.
                  There is nothing wrong with considering the trailer frame as an extremely large AWG wire.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                    There is nothing wrong with considering the trailer frame as an extremely large AWG wire.
                    I would think so, too. My input comes from the experience I had with the Hydrastar hydraulic brake controller. MORryde attached the negative to the camper frame while the instructions specifically said to attach to the vehicle's negative. When I swapped the wiring (long thread somewhere here on the subject) it did make a difference in the lag between truck and camper brake application.

From the Hydrastar manual:

Click image for larger version

Name:	hydrastar.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	92196
                    In email conversations with Hydrastar regarding the lag I was experiencing (and the wiring issue I found courtesy of MORryde) the Hydrastar engineer followed up with this hand-drawn schematic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydrastar wiring_Page_1.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	92197

Some may say this is an apples-to-oranges comparison (DC to DC Charger vs the Hydrastar). My input is based on the assumption that it's a good practice to eliminate as many connections (within reason) between the + and - electrical path in a low voltage application.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                      Good point Scott. The Renogy is made to be isolated but in fact both input and output negative terminals can be chassis grounded for the smaller 20amp model.

Jim
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-08-2022, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X