Going from one battery to two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going from one battery to two

When we picked up our new 397thr it only came with one battery. I may eventually switch over to lithium but for now I just want to add an additional battery to make sure our residential refrigerator works during travel and occasional parking lot boondocking. We almost always be hooked up to shore power except when traveling or maybe an occasional boondocking weekend. My question is, when adding the second battery is there anything else I need to do other than connecting the two batteries together with battery cables? My battery currently has a generator, inverter and solar hooked up.

When I first got my Reflection Travel Trailer, it came with one lead acid battery. I added a second and connected it up in parallel (Negative to Negative, Positive to Positive. It worked fine without changing anything (until I upgraded to 5 Battleborn batteries).
    Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
    2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

You should be good to go connecting a second battery in parallel with your existing 12v with heavy gauge connector cables. I believe you should try and keep the battery chemistries the same though, IE both traditional LA, or both LA AGM, but hopefully someone with more experience will weigh-in there.
      2019 Imagine 2400BH
      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

You should be good to go with a couple of caveats. 1. The age of the original battery…you don’t want to mix older and newer lead acid batteries. If the original is fairly new…no problem. 2. Make sure you hook up in parallel…not series. Parallel maintains your 12 volt system…series turns it into a 24 volt system.
        Alan and Julie Hartford
        2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 303RLS
        2015 F-350 SW Crew Cab 4x4 King Ranch

Comment

jimmy2546 I hate to be Darndave downer, (Debbie's little known big brother) but I think you will find that even with two batteries, you will be challenged to make it thru the night with that res refer. Especially if you like tv, lights, fans, etc. We have four new very expensive 6 volt AGM batteries which we probably didn't need. The night before leaving on our thanksgiving trip, I hooked the truck to the trailer (which had been plugged in for weeks and unoccupied), pulled it out of the rear yard and into our driveway, where we also have an electrical hookup. I didn't plug in, thinking "its just one night". I also neglected to unplug trailer cord from truck. And in the morning, everything was dead. After the trip, (which went well with no further issues thanks to hookups) I ordered new, bigger batteries (again, 6 volt) and decided to install them myself. I had originally trusted that the dealer knew how to correctly install batteries (that I supplied) since every RV has at least one. For whatever reason, they had one pair (wired series/parallel to make 12 volts) attached to the trailer house wiring as you would expect. The other pair were connected only to the generator (like a really expensive starter battery). So now I have four batteries out in the garage there is nothing wrong with.

If you are only able to do two batteries for now, I would abandon the dealer supplied (probably cheapest thing they could buy in quantity) battery and install the largest pair your budget will allow. I would recommend two 6 volt units vs two 12 volt. They are more tolerant to deep discharge. FWIW, I looked into the lithium option and couldn't make a cost case for it in our situation. We almost always have hookups; two nights boondocking is a very rare exception to our routine. We get thru one with no problems, and don't have to worry about power conservation.
          Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
          2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
          2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
          2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
          Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

Originally posted by DarnDave View Post
            jimmy2546 I hate to be Darndave downer, (Debbie's little known big brother) but I think you will find that even with two batteries, you will be challenged to make it thru the night with that res refer. Especially if you like tv, lights, fans, etc. We have four new very expensive 6 volt AGM batteries which we probably didn't need. The night before leaving on our thanksgiving trip, I hooked the truck to the trailer (which had been plugged in for weeks and unoccupied), pulled it out of the rear yard and into our driveway, where we also have an electrical hookup. I didn't plug in, thinking "its just one night". I also neglected to unplug trailer cord from truck. And in the morning, everything was dead. After the trip, (which went well with no further issues thanks to hookups) I ordered new, bigger batteries (again, 6 volt) and decided to install them myself. I had originally trusted that the dealer knew how to correctly install batteries (that I supplied) since every RV has at least one. For whatever reason, they had one pair (wired series/parallel to make 12 volts) attached to the trailer house wiring as you would expect. The other pair were connected only to the generator (like a really expensive starter battery). So now I have four batteries out in the garage there is nothing wrong with.

If you are only able to do two batteries for now, I would abandon the dealer supplied (probably cheapest thing they could buy in quantity) battery and install the largest pair your budget will allow. I would recommend two 6 volt units vs two 12 volt. They are more tolerant to deep discharge. FWIW, I looked into the lithium option and couldn't make a cost case for it in our situation. We almost always have hookups; two nights boondocking is a very rare exception to our routine. We get thru one with no problems, and don't have to worry about power conservation.
            I can’t disagree with “downer Dave” in anything he wrote. I actually bit the bullet and did a lithium upgrade for the exact reasons brought forth. However cost is a huge consideration and, unlike the OP’s situation, our rig doesn’t have a generator, inverter or solar. All of those things extend the useable amp hours of dual lead acid batteries.
            Alan and Julie Hartford
            2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 303RLS
            2015 F-350 SW Crew Cab 4x4 King Ranch

Comment

The only other question I would have is after connecting the two batteries in parallel should I connect the in flow terminals like solar and generator to different positive and negatives than the out flow terminals like inverter and coach power. ?? Or does everything get hooked up to the same positive and negative which would obviously be positive on one battery negative on the other.

Comment

jimmy2546
                -- best practice (as explained to me) is shown below. (Remember I'm just an owner like you...)

Click image for larger version

Name:	best practice.JPG
Views:	877
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	81947
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Do not forget to vent the new battery similar to the stock battery.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                    jimmy2546
                    -- best practice (as explained to me) is shown below. (Remember I'm just an owner like you...)

Click image for larger version

Name:	best practice.JPG
Views:	877
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	81947
                    Yea. That's the duel battery parallel connection. I understand that. What about the power in and power out ? I do know if I was only connecting the camper I would attach positive to one battery and negative to the other. I'm just wondering about all the other connections such as generator, solar and inverter?

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy2546 View Post

I'm just wondering about all the other connections such as generator, solar and inverter?
                      Short answer is, it's the same, in that you would connect them to the same positive and negative points. That's assuming that the solar, inverter, etc. connect directly to the battery now. IE, in addition to the trailer positive and negative cables connected to your battery, you have connections for those elements. If they don't, and that they connect somewhere else on the DC system, you won't need to do anything different, and just connect up the batteries.
                      2019 Imagine 2400BH
                      2019 F150 XLT Super Crew, EcoBoost, 6.5' box, Max tow package with 3.55 ratio

Comment

I worked on many different truck and trailer units which have additional accessories added. We always follow the manufacturers recommendations and they strongly suggest to NOT hook all accessories to one battery. They also say to connect the positive terminal to one battery and the negative to another battery. Never had any issues. I’m not an electrical engineer I’m just stating what I have been experienced to.

Comment

If you decide to add another 12 volt battery to your existing (it would need to match--brand and capacity and group size), I would follow Howard's diagram; above. There is a different diagram for dual 6 volt system.
                          Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
                          2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
                          2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
                          2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
                          Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

I added a second battery but I am struggling to find a vent kit anywhere. Amazon and E trailer dont show anything. I have seen systems that had a "T" in the top of the main case and the hose from the second battery connects there. If someone has a source please share it with me.
                            Thanks
                            Scott
                            2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

familytruckster4
                              Hi Scott,

For my second battery, I got the box, vent line and outlet from Grand Design (through my dealer) and installed a “mirror image” battery through the front compartment floor on the curb (right) side. There are pictures of this somewhere on this forum, or I can repost if you are interested in this idea.

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X