No announcement yet.

Going from one battery to two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

familytruckster4 Option to install a double box if the batteries fit? ​​​​​​​https://www.camco.net/camco-vented-r...-by-side-55370
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by familytruckster4 View Post
      I added a second battery but I am struggling to find a vent kit anywhere. Amazon and E trailer dont show anything. I have seen systems that had a "T" in the top of the main case and the hose from the second battery connects there. If someone has a source please share it with me.
      Thanks
      Scott
      Home Depot has everything you need, either in the tool section where they keep thier shop vac stuff, or the PVC pipe section to get the Y fitting You can cut a hole in the top and bottom of a standard battery box and use s flange hose fitting. The Y I got in the pluming department after taking the hose in with me to get a fit. Just use washer head sheet metal screws to attach everything. The reason for the hole in the bottom is to get full ventilation.

Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Everything Camco has seems to be Type 24 and my batteries are both Type 27 so they arent any help.
        After posting yesterday I went out in the barn and poked around for possible supplies and came up with exactly what Yoda suggested. I have a piece of 1 1/4 shop vac hose from a discarded unit. My plan is pretty much what he says. I am going to the local farm store today for some other items so I will locate a T and build the setup myself.
        Just like Red Green says, if you cant be handsome you should be handy
        2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I found an 1 1/2 plastic "T" at Rural king and repurposed the hose from a previous small shop vac. The hose fit perfectly into the T and it had a smooth plastic connector on the other end that I fit into a hole I made in the new box cover and secured it with a screw. I also sealed off the 2 small rectangular vents in the new lid and glued a foam strip to the inside of the lid areas that protrude out for wire clearance. This essentially sealed the lid better.
          The hardest part of the job was reconfiguring the wires on the original battery. When it was installed the wires were sloppily run and the cover fit worse then in the picture. Unfortunately This is the best I can get it unless I remade the wires and routed them better. I think what I have now is good enough to serve the purpose, especially since its all out of site in a compartment we dont open often. Click image for larger version  Name:	20220918_183338.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.8 KB ID:	95142
          Last edited by familytruckster4; 09-19-2022, 07:28 AM.
          2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I ended up putting in a bus bar for the grounds (12V negatives) so that helped with being able to reroute the negative wire. The positive was long enough to work, not pretty, but it works.

The exits for the wires are at the center of the short size and extremely difficult to get the wire bent into properly to make the cover seal.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
            X