2022 247BH FRidge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 247BH FRidge

THis is my first post so if its not correct I am sorry. I am thinking of buying a new 247BH> I have a permanent campsite without power so dry camping for 5 months starting May 15th. I have both shade and sun where I park now. The dealer in Calgary Alberta want to add 1-190 watt solar panel with 2-6V trogan or maybe 2-100amp hr lthium batteries.. we typically camp for 3-6 days per stretch. I am retired guy without too much knowledge of these new 12 fridges. He also said possibly a smart charger for the lithium. We don't usually spend too much time in the trailer unless the weather sucks. Is the dealer correct with his set up? will i have to worry about the batteries all the time if so i will find a used trailer with propane. The 247bh comes with a 8cubic foot 12v fridge. It can get hot at the campsite upwards 25-35 degrees. any advise would be great. Thanks

Randy Zahn Welcome to the forum, Randy. While I don't have a 12 volt refrigerator, I do have a residential unit which runs off of the batteries through an inverter. From what I've read on here, they both seem to be very efficient at running down the batteries. Performance of these new refrigerators sounds like a major improvement over the old absorption gas/elec units. With that said, I'm not sure that is the best option in your situation. Most of the units with the 12V frig already come with a solar panel. So the dealer wants to add in another? That would be a good start. I think the two lithium batteries is your best option here; far more amp hours available than the two 6 volts. You will also likely need a portable generator to augment the solar. You can find multiple conversations on here about this. Use the search bar, above. The fewer words the better. Good luck

Dave
    Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
    2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
    2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
    2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
    Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

I would think that the 2 lithium batteries would serve you well, if the furnace is not used, if you need the furnace they will only last about 3 days. A generator will help you out as well and serve you better than the solar panels. You should also upgrade the converter/charge to lithium compatible if the stock one is not. All of these items you can get and install yourself if you are handy.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Randy Zahn -- definitely go with the lithium batteries and converter upgrade. In addition, I strongly suggest a battery monitor like the Victron BMV-712 (or the similar SmartShunt). The monitor is basically a "Gas Gauge" so you can track how much power is left in the battery bank without having to worry about it. There are lots and lots of YouTube videos on the Victron.

A small generator (see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...r-model-100402 ) would be a great addition, too, so there's no worry about running out of power.

Adding a solar panel? Maybe...but would be at the bottom of my list. Lithium batteries first, charger upgrade second (or possibly even a dedicated converter mounted close to the batteries to facilitate a faster charge) and then the generator.

Good luck!

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
        X