Electrical Issues GD 297RSTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Issues GD 297RSTS

I’ve had my RV for almost a year now, and it’s been nothing but a pain in the butt. Now it appears my converter is bad or my battery is bad, I’m not yet able to determine which one. The battery is definitely at a low charge so I disconnected the negative lead cable, and then check the DC voltage with the OneControl app. And it finally came up to 12.7 V. Trying to bring the slider in though once the slider reached almost all the way in all of the voltage in the trailer dropped when they maxed out the DC voltage the air conditioner shut down and everything reset. Once I release the slider control at all came back up and worked.
    2021 Refection 297RSTS
    2020 Ford F150 Turboboost

Originally posted by Mike & Charlotte View Post
    I’ve had my RV for almost a year now, and it’s been nothing but a pain in the butt. Now it appears my converter is bad or my battery is bad, I’m not yet able to determine which one. The battery is definitely at a low charge so I disconnected the negative lead cable, and then check the DC voltage with the OneControl app. And it finally came up to 12.7 V. Trying to bring the slider in though once the slider reached almost all the way in all of the voltage in the trailer dropped when they maxed out the DC voltage the air conditioner shut down and everything reset. Once I release the slider control at all came back up and worked.
    The heavy loads in the camper (the slides fall into this category) should not be run without a good charged battery in the system, even if you're on shore power with a working converter. Lead acid batteries don't survive many discharges to"dead", so if it has died on your a couple times that could be the case. The easiest way to test the battery is too pull it and take it to an auto store, they'll test it for you and tell you how it is doing.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Mike & Charlotte

I changed the title to reflect the post, I did not change because of the content of the original title.

I agree with Neil that the issues that you are having will probably be stemming from a battery being low in charge or has been discharged to a low point that is has caused damage to the battery. Although an RV may be plugged into shore power almost all of the items in the RV require a good battery to perform, slide out motors are one that requires a heavy draw on the battery.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Mike & Charlotte View Post
        Good evening Mike
        Excellent advice. On question. Is you battery disconnect in the ON position (Key can not be removed). If it is OFF the battery will not charge. From time to time folks have found thiers OFF when they thought it was on (got bumped or in my case a senior moment. Second and I have learned this too. It does not take more than one or two occurrences of a dead (depleted flooded battery) to kill it where it will not hold a charge or provide any current for long.

Look at the bright side - this gives you a chance to upgrade your batterys to something good. Stock dealer batterys are pathetic..

As a side question - did you reconnect the negative battery cable before running the slide in. if not you were running only on the converter, and it is not meant to produce that amperage for long.

Hope this helps
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

New converter and battery. All is well. I installed another battery cutoff today. There are just too many vampire power draws when the mfr cutoff is off.
          2021 Refection 297RSTS
          2020 Ford F150 Turboboost

Comment

Mike and Charlotte, unfortunately as you probably have figured, anything the dealer is left to install is of the utmost cheapest low quality they can get away with. Batteries are expensive but relatively cheap things when you look at them. Poor quality ones and decent quality ones are not much different in cost, but much different in life expectancy.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
            X