Happijac Warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happijac Warning

Warning to Grand Design owners with Happijac Sofas. During a cross country trip in our 2021 M351 the Happijac sofa started moving on its own while I was getting ready to depart. I was not plugged into any external power source at anytime during the trip. I tried to stop it from lowering and by pressing the up button it would stop when held but releasing button It just continued down. I ran out and switched off the 12 VDC disconnect in the pass through and came back in and watched in horror as this happened. It was still powering down even after removing switch plate and disconnecting RJ14 connection to Up/Down switch. Luckily, I did not have our Ultra Glide in the back and Just my powered paraglider. The amount of torque as this continued to lower would have done CONSIDERABLE damage to cargo. I have not had any further issues and everything is working properly but I will never take off the Rachet Strap unless I need to lower the sofa. I have reached out to Grand Design and informed them this happened and requested cost on replacement sofa and they had no comment about this happening and to send an email to parts department.
    Last edited by howson; 04-21-2022, 05:52 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling of actual product ("Happijac") so the search engine finds it.
    Bill & Kathy
    2021 Momentum M351
    2016 F350 Diesel CC SRW Lariat

This is concerning for sure. Is there 2 switches that will activate the motors? I can not imagine how with the switch disconnected that it continued to move down.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Azppg -- Brian's post got me thinking. By any chance can you control the Happy Jac via your phone (and the CompassConnect or OneControl app)?
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Could it be a bad clutch in the motor?
        John
        2018 Momentum 395M
        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

The Happy Jack can only be controlled via the up down button on the switchplate in the toy hauler section. This rocker switch has a RJ14 connection that goes to the motor control assembly up top. This connection switches a relay at the motor control. Only thing that could have happened here is the relay stuck in the down position. The limit switches lock out travel in that position by opening the circuit from the relay to the motor.
          What really concerns me is turning off the 12 Volt disconnect and happy jack still has power.
          Bill & Kathy
          2021 Momentum M351

Comment

Originally posted by Azppg View Post
            The Happy Jack can only be controlled via the up down button on the switchplate in the toy hauler section. This rocker switch has a RJ14 connection that goes to the motor control assembly up top. This connection switches a relay at the motor control. Only thing that could have happened here is the relay stuck in the down position. The limit switches lock out travel in that position by opening the circuit from the relay to the motor.
            What really concerns me is turning off the 12 Volt disconnect and happy jack still has power.
            Concerning for sure. I'll be sending you a PM.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Azppg View Post
              By any chance is there a washer and dryer installed in your unit? If so, which brand and when were they installed? (At this point I have no idea what if anything that has to do with the Happy Jack...just need to the info, please.)

Howard

Comment

we have washer and dryer plumbing and electrical in the toy hauler section of our M351 but have never used it. We are not retired yet so no current need for a washer/Dryer
                Bill & Kathy
                2021 Momentum M351

Comment

I have installed safety pins on all 4 rails so this never happens again. Thank you all for your help. I just don't want this to happen to anyone else.
                  Bill & Kathy
                  2021 Momentum M351

Comment

Azppg

I like what you did, question, did you use the holes that are already there or did you drill new holes and do you remember what size your pins are?
                    This is a great idea.
                    Thanks
                    Jim
                    Jim and Cindy
                    2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
                    2021 320G

Comment

I thought that the Happy Jack came with pins to lock it up or down in position, maybe?

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Brian

Mine has some small holes but I wasn’t given any pins, maybe I should have?

Jim
                        Jim and Cindy
                        2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
                        2021 320G

Comment

Originally posted by rebel23 View Post
                          Brian

Mine has some small holes but I wasn’t given any pins, maybe I should have?

Jim
                          Like I said I am not sure but I recall reading a post at one time about some pins or clips that were used, memory may be failing me.

Brian
                          Brian & Michelle
                          2018 Reflection 29RS
                          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hogdrv -- the HappiJac Owner's Manual shows there are bunk pins available. If you want the OEM version consider contacting LCI.

The manual (pin diagram on page 7) is here: https://support.lci1.com/happijac-support-happijac-beds

LCI contact info here: https://support.lci1.com/contact

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pins (Mobile).JPG
Views:	748
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	82721

(Nothing wrong with your memory, Country Campers !)

Comment

For those of you that didn't get the "pins" with your systems, how do you keep the bed at the top while lowering the dinette/benches for use? Mine came with pins.
                              Jim (& Sharon)
                              2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
                              2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
                              The toys:
                              2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                              2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Working...
                              X