Smart Plug Inlet Installation on a 315RLTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart Plug Inlet Installation on a 315RLTS

Sorry for the finger across the lens and the shaky video. Tough to video and work at the same time, so don't expect a super-duper quality "Changing Lanes" style video.

It's about 6 minutes long--I edited out most of the non-applicable stuff. As I mention at the end, the plug side will be done tomorrow.

What I didn't mention in the video is that when the OEM cable twists I've get "Open Ground" errors on my Progressive Dynamics Electrical Management System ("EMS"). One time was my mistake (incorrect installation) and the other was from the 90 degree adapter twisting the cable far enough to cause a ground fault. The Smart Plug is expected to eliminate the issues completely.

Last edited by howson; 12-02-2020, 08:37 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Hi Howard,

You will not be disappointed in SmartPlug. Mine has been in place for 2 years now and no regrets. The dealership noticed it last year and said good things about it too.

I bought the 30 foot 50 amp cord from SmartPlug too. Ridiculously expensive but love that too. I have a spare plug in my toolbox in case I run into any issues in the field (not anticipating it with 2 years under my belt).

Lyle
    Barb, Lyle and the two four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

Comment

Got the cord end done this morning. No video necessary--fairly straight forward modification. The installation instructions are available from SmartPlug's "Dropbox" if you want to review before tackling this yourself: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/z6b0ktsnp...eKDdOXFua?dl=0

Click image for larger version

Name:	NewCord1.JPG
Views:	830
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	8255

I had this cord cutter from my inverter project, so snipping off the end of the cord was an easy task. (Right tool always makes a job easier, doesn't it?)

Name:	CordCutter.JPG
Views:	766
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	8256

If you don't like the idea of cutting up and rewiring your power cord, consider what CloseToRetirement suggested in post 2: get the inlet and an entirely new cord. https://www.technorv.com/smartplug-power-connections/ (I have no affiliation with TechnoRV. Link and picture are provided as an example--get them from your favorite RV retailer.)

Name:	TechnoRV.JPG
Views:	792
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	8258

Here's the finished setup on my 315RLTS. Works as advertised! Very pleased with the results.

Name:	NewCord2.JPG
Views:	796
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	8257
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Thanks for tackling this project Howard. I need to put it on my "to do" list.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          Sorry for the finger across the lens and the shaky video. Tough to video and work at the same time, so don't expect a super-duper quality "Changing Lanes" style video.
          Great video. Since we always discuss safety. Are those OSHA approved flip flops? If so, where can one find a pair?
          Last edited by howson; 12-02-2019, 07:22 PM. Reason: Made quote shorter to make post easier to read. :)
          Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
          2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
          2020 Momentum 351M
          2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Added the Weatherproof Cover--well built and designed. The cover clips onto the power end as if the power cord is installed into the camper's power connection. The cover won't come off and the material feels substantial.

I just installed the cover so I do not have any experience with how long it will last, but from initial handling and use of the item I expect good service from it.

Name:	Smartplug 1.JPG
Views:	725
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	9987

Name:	Smartplug 2.JPG
Views:	701
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	9988

Comment

howson Hey Howard I wanted to check in and see what you thought of this after a few months. You probably have not been moving around much plugging and unplugging it, but I am still curious. Considering upgrading mine.

Thanks!

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                howson Hey Howard I wanted to check in and see what you thought of this after a few months. You probably have not been moving around much plugging and unplugging it, but I am still curious. Considering upgrading mine.

Thanks!
                The camper is plugged into a 50A service at my home. I've disconnected and connected the power cable numerous times recently due to projects in the back yard (allow delivery of rocks, staining the storage buildings, etc) and find the connector easy to use.

The only minor gripe is the tabs on the side of the male connector don't always "snap" into place as firmly as I'd like. I have to give them a little extra help to seat, thus ensuring the connector is fully secured together. But that's reaching to find a nit-pick,

Easy mod--I'd do it again.

Howard

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

The camper is plugged into a 50A service at my home. I've disconnected and connected the power cable numerous times recently due to projects in the back yard (allow delivery of rocks, staining the storage buildings, etc) and find the connector easy to use.

The only minor gripe is the tabs on the side of the male connector don't always "snap" into place as firmly as I'd like. I have to give them a little extra help to seat, thus ensuring the connector is fully secured together. But that's reaching to find a nit-pick,

Easy mod--I'd do it again.

Howard
                  Thanks, I would imagine even with the extra help its less hassle than the plastic lockring.

Thanks!

Neil Citro

Comment

howson TucsonJim CloseToRetirement onAny input on whether the Smartplug cables are better (more flexible, durable) than the OEM Furrion cables?
                    Erik
                    Last edited by Popga; 05-30-2021, 08:23 PM.
                    Erik & Tea
                    2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                    2005 Ford Excursion 6L diesel
                    ProPride hitch

Comment

I plan to upgrade to the Smartplug, just not sure if its worth $300 for the cables too....
                      Erik
                      Erik & Tea
                      2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                      ProPride hitch

Comment

1 more thing, I promise....has anyone EVER needed 30' of cable?
                        Erik
                        Erik & Tea
                        2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                        ProPride hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Popga View Post
                          howson TucsonJim CloseToRetirement onAny input on whether the Smartplug cables are better (more flexible, durable) than the OEM Furrion cables?
                          Erik
                          I’ve never seen their cable, I just cut the end off my factory cable and put the smart plug end on it.

To your other question, I’ve needed 30’+ on a few occasions. A couple of the Ontario provincial parks I’ve been to were a quite long run to the post. I have a 50’ 50 Amp extension on top of my 30’ shore cord but I don’t normally carry it unless I know I’m going somewhere I’ll need it. Otherwise I get by with the 30’ shore cord and a 50’ 30 amp extension with an adapter. It’s a it lighter and way easier to manage than the 50’ 50 amp beast.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by Popga View Post
                            Erik
                            I bought this surgeguard flexible cable. Even in cold Colorado I can coil it into my 12x12 milk crate. $130 at rvupgrade. Way more flexible than the Furrion.

The Surge Guard 50A30MOSE Super Flex 50 Amp 30' Replacement Cord features a temperature rating from -58 degrees F to +221 degrees F. Outer jacket is super flexible Seoprene Thermoplastic Elastomer (TPE). TPE, along with stranded bare copper conductors, makes FLEX50A the best combination of flexibility and durability on the market. Cord features (3) 6 awg and (1) 8 awg conductor rated for 50 Amps. Length: 30' with male 50 amp head and 6" bare leads on the opposite side for easy installation.
                            • Limited lifetime manufacturer warranty
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	50A30MOSE-2T.jpg Views:	0 Size:	12.0 KB ID:	55962
                            Ted
                            2021 Reflection 310RLS
                            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Popga
                              Like Neil, I also just replaced the end on the original cord.

Good information on extensions and who-does-what-and-why in this thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...e-cord-lengths

Howard

Comment

Working...
                              X