WAGO connectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WAGO connectors

Greetings - I saw Wago connectors being discussed on another thread.

Question: why them and not just standard wire nuts? I can see a factory using them since seconds count, but I will not use them. Behind the electrical distribution panel one can easily "wiggle" the connectors on solid wire, meaning to me not a very solid connection.

I just began some wiring mods (lithium x 2, inverter, transfer switch, etc.) on our new 2500RL and was quite surprised to see those wago connectors in a 4x4 metal junction box under the trailer, just waiting for salt water spray some spring day when we are heading home... Same with what looks like a fuse/distribution terminal for the 12v. Yes, they were filled with some sort of grease, but...

That stuff under the trailer just doesn't seem like it's gonna stay happy!
    Ottertail, Minnesota
    2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
    2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Speed of assembly would be my bet. I am not a fan of them. If I find any that are outside the compartments or interior I replace them.
    Whenever I have tried to use them they wont pass the pull test so I just end up using a standard butt splice or I solder and heat shrink.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Wago connectors are UL approved and work great. Old school people might not trust them, and I didn't trust them when I first saw them. However, do some Internet searching and you should find that they are more reliable and easier to use than wire nuts.
      Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
      2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
      2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

I am new to the RV’ing world and had never seen them prior to our purchase last year. I simply used them because that’s what came from the factory and I found them very easy to use. I made the mistake of first buying a knockoff and immediately saw that there was a huge difference in quality…plus…the knockoffs were not UL listed as are the Wago’s. I then bought the Wago Lever Nuts and have not had any issues. I did try pull tests and it took quite a bit of force to pull the wire out…so much so that, with proper wire lengths for movement of the splice, I figured there was no way the connections would ever be subjected to. Just my two cents…
        Alan and Julie Hartford
        2021 Reflection 5th Wheel 303RLS
        2015 F-350 SW Crew Cab 4x4 King Ranch

Comment

The wago connectors are far better than wire nuts. That being said, a good compression connector beats both. If you are in a difficult area to access I would use a permanent compression connector. In an accessible location, a wago connector may suit your needs best. A wire nut, or a scotch lock, imo, is for an emergency repair until you get the needed parts/get home etc..

Wire nuts are for stationary buildings.
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

I have encountered them on light fixtures (recessed) in my home. I like them in a stationary setting with solid wire. On a trailer thats subject to much vibration AND uses stranded wire I wont use them.
            2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I like them in a vibration setting more than a wire nut, even if its taped. I agree a crimped connection done properly is better, but the WAGO allows an easy way to splice wires of different sizes, which I need to do in the RV a fair bit. I have been using them for years and have been quite happy. If its stranded, I will solder if possible, I think thats the best way to go.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                I like them in a vibration setting more than a wire nut, even if its taped. I agree a crimped connection done properly is better, but the WAGO allows an easy way to splice wires of different sizes, which I need to do in the RV a fair bit. I have been using them for years and have been quite happy. If its stranded, I will solder if possible, I think thats the best way to go.
                x2 on Neil's summary. Wire nuts have no place in something that moves. They are not allowed in automotive/marine/aero . . . and should not be allowed in towable RVs (my opinion . . . and obviously not RVIAs) Taping a connector with stretchy electrical tape is not a solution for vibration resistance. A properly crimped connector is best. WAGO works well on solid copper wire and seems to work well on stranded . . . but, I like the idea of soldering stranded wire before inserting it into a WAGO.

If a wire nut type of connection must be used, there is a vibration resistant version. Quite common in Canada, but harder to find in the US. Not really a "wire nut" . . . but, a screw clamped connection inside what looks like a wire nut. See attached picture.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	4359793-24.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	82918
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The WAGO's Ive used are made for stranded, but WAGO's are meant for one wire per latch terminal. I had a couple wagos on my trailer that had two inserted in one terminal, which I changed. I also found one white wire that was inserted into a connector....but not stripped..lol

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  WAGO works well on solid copper wire and seems to work well on stranded . . . but, I like the idea of soldering stranded wire before inserting it into a WAGO.
                  I'll bet that soldered wire would break from vibration before an un-soldered wire would.

Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

I was skeptical about WAGOs at first, but I really using them now, especially since you know it's "locked" on the wire.
                    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                    2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                    2020 Momentum 351M
                    2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Thanks to all for the replies. I believe the Wago connectors are surely advantageous for speed and ease of use.

I will be a contrarian and maintain that a properly installed wire nut cannot be beaten for reliability. The key is how they are installed, and it does take some experience to properly install them. (I do have the advantage of having installed thousands of them when I worked as an electrician during my school age years.) Here is an example of what two 14g solid and one 14g stranded look like upon wire nut removal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wire nut.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	84326

A very important step in installing them is to insure that the ends of the solid wires are aligned with one another axially. If a stranded wire is involved with solid wires, it should be stripped longer than the solids, and wrapped around one solid before installing the wire nut. Also very important is to let the wire nut thread its own way on, without pushing it onto the wires. Finally, the wire nut should be turned until the wire bundle is twisted as shown (the wires were not pre-twisted). The comparisons between Wago and wire nuts that I found on a casual search did not exhibit this wire twist, telling me they were not properly installed.

Upshot? Go with the Wago connectors unless you want to spend some time on the learning curve of using wire nuts.
                      Ottertail, Minnesota

Comment

I’ve been an electrician for 20 years, when Wago’s first came out(especially the push on style) a lot of people hated them, I’ve come to like them for trouble shooting lighting circuits. They are UL listed and with the millions and millions of them used to wire Silicon Valley, they haven’t been a cause of a fire that I’m aware of yet.
                        2022 303RLS (9/21 build)

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPeterson View Post
                          Greetings - I saw Wago connectors being discussed on another thread.

Question: why them and not just standard wire nuts? I can see a factory using them since seconds count, but I will not use them. Behind the electrical distribution panel one can easily "wiggle" the connectors on solid wire, meaning to me not a very solid connection.

I just began some wiring mods (lithium x 2, inverter, transfer switch, etc.) on our new 2500RL and was quite surprised to see those wago connectors in a 4x4 metal junction box under the trailer, just waiting for salt water spray some spring day when we are heading home... Same with what looks like a fuse/distribution terminal for the 12v. Yes, they were filled with some sort of grease, but...

That stuff under the trailer just doesn't seem like it's gonna stay happy!
                          You can cut, re-install new Wago connectors and use a Wago gelbox to seal the connection.

https://www.wago.com/us/discover-wir...lbox-from-wago

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Chris A View Post
                            I’ve been an electrician for 20 years, when Wago’s first came out(especially the push on style) a lot of people hated them, I’ve come to like them for trouble shooting lighting circuits. They are UL listed and with the millions and millions of them used to wire Silicon Valley, they haven’t been a cause of a fire that I’m aware of yet.
                            Chris - this is great information, thanks. Do you use them routinely or are wire nuts still the typical rough-in connections?

Alex
                            Ottertail, Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPeterson View Post

Chris - this is great information, thanks. Do you use them routinely or are wire nuts still the typical rough-in connections?

Alex
                              I'm a journeyman over three decades in the trade. In industry, think equipment vibration, marrettes were common loose connection issues. Especially when there were more than two wires within the connector. Terminal blocks and wago connectors were more reliable, however, they can fail as well, just not nearly as often.
                              AlexPeterson If you take extra care on installation with those wire nuts you will likely be fine.....but don't trust factory wire nut connections imo.

Comment

Working...
                              X