Is it fine to use regular generator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it fine to use regular generator?

I've got 12,000 watt pulsar portable generator that I have as an emergency backup for my house. It never gets used, but I have to run it every once in a while to keep the gas cycled and make sure it works.

Can I plug my RV 50amp plug into it a few times a year and use the RV through it?

My primary concern is its obviously not a true sign wave, ehich i know isnt good for sensitive electronics. Not sure if RV's have got that figured out by now though.

Thanks!
    2021 Grand Design Momentum 381m
    2020 Ram 3500 8ft

I would say that the newer RV's are even more electronically controlled and likely more sensitive to dirty power.
    The second issue is the plug. Since RV's use specific plugs you would have to verify that you even could plug into that gen without using an adapter of sorts.
    I have a 6500/220 gen that I use for backup in the house and I never could get it to work properly with my previous RV even after purchasing an adapter. For some reason the gen wouldnt increase voltage during a load and it just lugged along at 108v which I didnt like. I gave up on the idea of using it with the trailer very quickly.
    I ended up buying a Champion 4650 Inverter gen for the 5th wheel. The unit has an "RV" 30a plug and runs the trailer very well.
    I am sure some of the electrically smart people will be along shortly to give you a better answer than mine
    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

If the generator is safe for your house it’s safe for the Rv. Your house has much more expensive and sensitive electronics than an RV.

If it’s the PG12000, it has a standard 14-50R RV outlet on it. Pulsar doesn’t publish THD for their equipment, but the type of generator it is would lead one to assume it’s low. If I owned one I’d call them and ask what the THD is.

Two things to be aware of though. That generator is extremely noisy and not suited for use where others are camping. And you may not be able to run the the same things in your RV from it that can from a 50A shore power connection.
      John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
        If the generator is safe for your house it’s safe for the Rv. Your house has much more expensive and sensitive electronics than an RV.

If it’s the PG12000, it has a standard 14-50R RV outlet on it. Pulsar doesn’t publish THD for their equipment, but the type of generator it is would lead one to assume it’s low. If I owned one I’d call them and ask what the THD is.

Two things to be aware of though. That generator is extremely noisy and not suited for use where others are camping. And you may not be able to run the the same things in your RV from it that can from a 50A shore power connection.
        I have found the following comment from a rep online:

"We test at 50% load, sea level, +15C baseline and find between 5-8% THD. Over half load it can decay a bit more."

So does that mean it's safe to use?

As I said, I don't plan on doing this often and I am aware of the noise production.
        2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

Originally posted by timelinex View Post

I have found the following comment from a rep online:

"We test at 50% load, sea level, +15C baseline and find between 5-8% THD. Over half load it can decay a bit more."

So does that mean it's safe to use?

As I said, I don't plan on doing this often and I am aware of the noise production.
          5-8% is good to go.
          John & Kathy
          2014 Reflection 303RLS
          2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Be aware, for safety and especially if you have an RV electrical management system (e.g. Progressive Industries) in your trailer, you will need to bond neutral to ground on the generator, assuming you have a floating neutral. Lots of info out there concerning this.
            2020 Reflection 273MK
            2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
              Be aware, for safety and especially if you have an RV electrical management system (e.g. Progressive Industries) in your trailer, you will need to bond neutral to ground on the generator, assuming you have a floating neutral. Lots of info out there concerning this.
              My model comes with a bonded neutral. I know this because I contacted the manufacturer to get their instructions on how to float the neutral in the event I need to connect it to a transfer switch.

I also did just buy that progressive Industries surge protector for the RV!
              2020 Ram 3500 8ft

Comment

Working...
              X