Tow vehicle with 400watt AC inverter and delivered to the truck bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tow vehicle with 400watt AC inverter and delivered to the truck bed

So I have 2022 Ram with an intelligent inverter delivering 400 watts of AC to the truck bed. There is of course a lot of discussion about a DC to DC charger for the LI batteries. But since I already have a managed 400watts of AC available -- it seems to me it would be straight forward to run that AC thru a 12 volt smart charger to charge my batteries as I spend the day driving down the road. Has any one tried this? Am I missing a down side to this?
    Mark & Julie
    2021 GD 303RLS; GooseBox Hitch; towed by Ram 3500 SRW

Originally posted by TheMcLellans View Post
    So I have 2022 Ram with an intelligent inverter delivering 400 watts of AC to the truck bed. There is of course a lot of discussion about a DC to DC charger for the LI batteries. But since I already have a managed 400watts of AC available -- it seems to me it would be straight forward to run that AC thru a 12 volt smart charger to charge my batteries as I spend the day driving down the road. Has any one tried this? Am I missing a down side to this?
    400W is not much to work with can you share the full specifications? Whats the duty rating on the 400W inverter on the Ram? I suspect your 400W truck inverter might have limitations. Also is it a true sine inverter? 400W at 120V is just 3.3 amps which is not much or roughly 30A 12V assuming normal transformer losses to a smart charger. I think you can do better DC to DC wise. - just things to consider.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
    X