380FL Diesel Gen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 380FL Diesel Gen?

Full timer here asking before hand, 2021 solitude 380FL 41.5 foot planning on diesel Owen gen 6,000 with fuel cell. This rig fits best in a diesel fuel station. Anyone done this? Ps it is prewired for gen
    Last edited by MikeCurtis; 04-28-2022, 02:15 AM.

MikeCurtis -- can't help with your question, but wanted to say "Hi". If you'd like to know more about this place, check out the Welcome Letter to New Members here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

My suggestion would be to contact the Onan ? facility closest to you and ask them what youre alternatives are. They would be the most knowledgeable about your options.
      2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

MikeCurtis Welcome to the family and the forum!

After seeing the amount of LP needed to boondock this beast in mid winter, this one will get changed over or the next one will be diesel.
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

We have the same year make and model as you (pre-wired generator prep). I was going to have an Onan generator installed until I found out price to install. Since we are hooked up to 50amp shore power 95% of the time I decided to go with two Firman W3650IR generators with a 50amp parallel kit for any future boon-docking or power outages.

Comment

I was all set to do this when we ordered our 2021 375. But then I did the math. SOmeone else was talking about it but I'm not sure if it was here or the other forum. I also don't know if they ever did it.

Your numbers will be different as you need to buy a geney either way. In our case the QD geney alone was $6,500 more than a factory installed QG5500LP. I never got as far as figuring out how or where I was going to mount the fuel tank.

Using Onan's numbers, at half load the QD burns .4 gallons an hour the QG-LP .8 gph. (so far we average just over .5 gph of LP over a couple of hundred hours) Fuel prices vary but using $4.00 a gallon for each to make the math easier it costs an extra $1.60 per hour to run the QG-LP. Over 4000 hours to break even not accounting for fuel tank, lines,etc and install. On boondocking trips I haul 2 extra 40 pound tanks along with the OEM 30's. Just about 33 gallons all together.

If you use a geney a ton then I think it could be worth it. The QD has pure sine wave output for cleaner power, its more obviously more efficient, and a little quieter. But I couldn't justify it myself. If you do it please keep us posted, I would be very interested in the project.
            Jim & Heidi
            2021 Solitude 375RES-r
            2024 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW

Comment

Working...
            X