Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 2500RL, Upgrades: lithium, inverter, converter, transfer switch, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 2500RL, Upgrades: lithium, inverter, converter, transfer switch, etc.

I completed modifications to the electrical system consisting of:

1. Two Renogy 100amp-hr lithium batteries.
    2. 2000w Renogy Inverter
    3. 20a DC-DC charger
    4. Watchdog 30amp
    5. Homebrew transfer switch
    6. Moved all DC wires/circuits/fuses from the frame to a fuse panel in the storage pass-thru.
    7. Upgraded the converter to a lithium capable one, WF-8955LIS-MBA

Here is the electrical schematic of what I did (see updated diagram in later post!):

Click image for larger version  Name:	2022 2500RL Electrical System Design 2MAY22.jpg Views:	24 Size:	88.6 KB ID:	83815

Here are some photos of the install:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220502_131322494.jpg Views:	16 Size:	138.6 KB ID:	83816

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220502_131333135.jpg Views:	17 Size:	136.5 KB ID:	83817

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220502_131408867.jpg Views:	17 Size:	157.6 KB ID:	83818

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220502_131455770.jpg Views:	17 Size:	87.8 KB ID:	83819

Discussion:

The transfer switch uses two relays - one to keep the shore power hot and neutral separate from the inverter's hot and neutral, and another one to disconnect the converter while on inverter power. Coincidentally, the electric theater seats are powered from this same circuit breaker, so no need to worry if they are on when on inverter power. The relays are:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QXWZP3R
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DWIKF2A

In the 2500RL, the power distribution system is in the wall between the bath and bedroom, at the floor. I was able to fish a couple 10-2 NM-WG wires from under the sink to the little enclosed box (universal docking station) in the storage pass-through. I wanted to bring the shore power into the storage area so that I could install a hard-wired surge protector. I then routed it back to the distribution panel via the transfer relay.

I intentionally used the normally closed contacts of the relays for shore power operation, with the relay coils becoming active when the inverter is activated. I decided the small power drain is not a big battery penalty, since most of the time when in storage or in hook-ups at a campground the relays will be "idle". Most of the inverter use will simply be to make coffee or use the microwave without having to start a generator when dry camping. The remote on/off/monitor switch for the inverter is in the bathroom wall, a relatively easy location to fish the wire to. I did notice that the inverter "stumbles" a little on initial power up, meaning I hear a couple clicks/rattles of the relays before they "hard" engage. The inverter instructions say to let it power up for a few seconds prior to adding any load, and this is probably why. I could add some sort of delay relay in, but probably won't bother unless a good reason presents itself.

The battery disconnect actually, well, disconnects the battery! I did not like, but understand why, the factory design has so much junk still running even when disconnected. I want to know that all power is off. Someone mentioned in another thread regarding the break-away switch. I debated keeping this on full time, but ruled it out. One will not connect the trailer without battery power since the tongue jack is electric. I could make arguments either way on this one. I removed the factory disconnect switch and labeled it as "not used".

The wires that were down on the frame on the circuit breaker were fished back up through the hole they went down through initially, also in the docking area box. I will re-foam the area I disrupted to do this. The tongue jack and break-away switch wires were spliced along the frame and heat shrunk to seal them. I also tied the ground wire back to it's original location on the frame.

I may add a horizontal support under the floor, between the two frame members, to give added support and stiffness to the floor of the storage area. The batteries are about 60 lbs or so. The rest of the hardware is mounted to a 1/2" piece of plywood, mounted to a fairly stiff vertical wall. I really don't know if additional support is needed or not. I suspect there are toolboxes weighing that much in some storage areas. A green treat 2x4 spanning most of the way left/right screwed under the floor would do a lot if needed. I believe the floor is plywood so it will not likely sag (as compared to OSB types of materials).

I want to thank those who previously posted great information and tips that I freely swiped. It was a fun project! Well, sitting with my neck bent in the pass-through got old...
    Last edited by AlexPeterson; 10-22-2022, 08:19 AM. Reason: Noted updated diagram in later post.
    Ottertail, Minnesota
    2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
    2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Additional pictures:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220502_131529290.jpg
Views:	1459
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	83821

Name:	IMG_20220502_131447395.jpg
Views:	1457
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	83822
    Ottertail, Minnesota

Comment

Great info here Alex. Just getting into the RV thing with a new Imagine 23 mle. have just started researching this same modification. Just wondering if you made any changes to your solar panel?
      2022 Imagine XLS23LDE
      2022 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 High Country Duramax
      Hensley Arrow Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Collin Ellis View Post
        Great info here Alex. Just getting into the RV thing with a new Imagine 23 mle. have just started researching this same modification. Just wondering if you made any changes to your solar panel?
        Collin, thanks. No changes to the solar yet nor planned.
        Ottertail, Minnesota

Comment

Very impressive Alex. That's a nice clean install, and the wiring diagram is very helpful.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
            Very impressive Alex. That's a nice clean install, and the wiring diagram is very helpful.

Jim
            Jim - thanks.
            Ottertail, Minnesota

Comment

Alex, that is a really neat/clean install! Great work! You wont' find too many shops doing pretty work like that!!
              Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
              2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
              2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

Jimmer Thanks for the kind words!

I will be making one small change - I used a 12g power cord between the transfer switch and the inverter, but simply put a male plug on the inverter end. However, the receptacles on the inverter are only good for 8.3 amps. I will connect a 12-2 to the hard wire ports on the inverter instead.

I'm still contemplating a time delay relay, to give a few seconds' delay between inverter activation and transfer switch engagement...
                Ottertail, Minnesota

Comment

Really dig that battery box. You have a dovetail jig / machine?

I think the reason they do the disconnect with things staying powered has a lot to do with the switch and it's location. If it were more difficult to put in break mode, they may make it a true disconnect.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2 Joseph - thanks. I use a router and a Porter Cable jig. I wanted to protect the batteries, yet keep it lightweight and allow cooling of the batteries. It is 1/2" Baltic birch plywood, cover 1/4". Nothing on the bottom - the batteries sit on the floor.
                    Ottertail, Minnesota

Comment

Updates to modifications:

Since the 7 pin charge to DC/DC charger was erratic (truck too darn smart - didn't like the sustained high current and seemingly shut it down when it felt like it), I decided to do a more direct connection from the TV battery to the DC/DC charger.​

Here's the updated electrical diagram:

Name:	2500RL electrical mods 20OCT22.jpg
Views:	1126
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	97783

I found a nice automotive style relay which I mounted next to the TV battery in an existing ground lug bolt:

Name:	Charge relay.jpg
Views:	951
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	97784

I located an ignition/start circuit inside the cab, and put a piggy-back fuse harness on that. This circuit is only hot in the run position (disabled during start). (The truck's circuit I tagged onto is a 5 amp one which enables the 120v inverter in the cab.) I put a small switch in the glovebox which can be used to disable the relay as well. It was fairly sporting to get from inside the cab to forward of the firewall...

Name:	Charge enable.jpg
Views:	945
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	97785

I found a good location in the bumper to cut (eek!) a hole for the Anderson connector. I only had to cut plastic as the bumper structure has an opening there already.

Name:	Andersen connector 1.jpg
Views:	945
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	97786

The Anderson parts I used are below, ordered from Powerwerx:

Name:	Anderson part list Powerwerx.jpg
Views:	940
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	97787

I used AWG8 THHN from the relay to the bumper, same for the trailer. I did transition to AWG8 welding cable for the 2 feet or so from the tongue to the bumper so it would be more flexible. The truck's chassis serves as the ground return (I ran about a foot from the TV connector to an existing chassis ground just forward of the rear bumper.) I did run the negative wire all the way from the DC/DC charger to the Anderson connector.

The other small change I made since the original posting is the addition of a battery monitor.
                      Ottertail, Minnesota

Comment

Thanks Ale for the post and schematic, very informative and helpful.
                        Since I new to this site and GD owners family, I'm looking for ideas on how to upgrade our new rig. Since it's still cold & snowy here, the new camper is in winter storage (yeah, frustrating to have a new camper and not using it).

If you have any information/ details about how to redirect the shore power to the surge protect and back, that too would be most helpful. Or, just more pictures to help as I too want to do something very similar.

Lastly, how many panels/ total wattage do you have with your unit, beyond the factory 165W panel?

Thanks,
                        Mark
                        Mark
                        Current: 2023 GD Imagine 2500RL, 2018 F150 CrewCab King Ranch FX4, Equal-i-zer WD
                        Previous: 2013 Cougar 31SQB, 2015 F350 CC King Ranch FX4, 2007 GMC LBZ 2500.

Comment

Originally posted by mepgray View Post
                          Thanks Ale for the post and schematic, very informative and helpful.
                          Since I new to this site and GD owners family, I'm looking for ideas on how to upgrade our new rig. Since it's still cold & snowy here, the new camper is in winter storage (yeah, frustrating to have a new camper and not using it).

If you have any information/ details about how to redirect the shore power to the surge protect and back, that too would be most helpful. Or, just more pictures to help as I too want to do something very similar.

Lastly, how many panels/ total wattage do you have with your unit, beyond the factory 165W panel?

Thanks,
                          Mark
                          Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure Howard howson will be along shortly to welcome you.

You did not say which trailer you have - in mine, I was able to fish two 10-2 wg nm wires from the pass-through back to under the vanity. The back side of the power distribution panel is also accessible under the vanity. The original wiring has the a 10-2 wg nm wire from the shore power plug to the back of the panel. I put a junction box under the vanity, pulled the original feed wire to the panel back and into the junction box. Then from the box to the pass-through to the surge protector. Then out of the surge protector and back to the panel via the transfer switch.
                          Ottertail, Minnesota

Comment

mepgray -- dig through the Modifications spreadsheet and you'll find plenty of links to threads of interest. Another way is to search the forum. The latter, and more, is detailed in the Welcome Letter. Give both a read and then feel free to start a new thread with specific questions.

Howard
                            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPeterson View Post

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure Howard howson will be along shortly to welcome you.

You did not say which trailer you have - in mine, I was able to fish two 10-2 wg nm wires from the pass-through back to under the vanity. The back side of the power distribution panel is also accessible under the vanity. The original wiring has the a 10-2 wg nm wire from the shore power plug to the back of the panel. I put a junction box under the vanity, pulled the original feed wire to the panel back and into the junction box. Then from the box to the pass-through to the surge protector. Then out of the surge protector and back to the panel via the transfer switch.
                              Alex, thanks for the reply. I queued onto your post as we purchased a new 2023 Imagine 2500RL. So, while we haven't yet been able to enjoy the camper, I've been trying to research what others have done to their rigs and looking at ideas on what I can do to upgrade mine. For awhile I've just been reading as a guest, but wanted to inquire more about your 2500RL.

I'm certainly not new to the camping world/ off-grid camping. For many years we used a popup, then jumped to a 36' Cougar 31SQB TT for the past 10-year where I had installed a panel, mppt controller, inverter, and AGM batteries, and now have downsized a bit to the 2500RL. LIke you, I'll also be pulling with my 2018 F150 EcoBoost.

With my now old Cougar camper, I experimented a lot with a rig that wasn't wired for LED or battery efficiency, so am excited about the new GD. Additionally, I really want to do it right this time... by thinking about the long-term goal and work into it as time goes.
                              Mark
                              Current: 2023 GD Imagine 2500RL, 2018 F150 CrewCab King Ranch FX4, Equal-i-zer WD
                              Previous: 2013 Cougar 31SQB, 2015 F350 CC King Ranch FX4, 2007 GMC LBZ 2500.

Comment

Working...
                              X