Lithium and Converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithium and Converter

I understand going to a lithium battery should have a compatible lithium battery charger. I heard the factory installed converter in the 2021 337RLS Reflections will charge a lithium battery but not as efficiently. Is this correct?

Originally posted by Mike Burns View Post
    I understand going to a lithium battery should have a compatible lithium battery charger. I heard the factory installed converter in the 2021 337RLS Reflections will charge a lithium battery but not as efficiently. Is this correct?
    Yes it will charge...but to about 80%. But even at 80% that's probably 2x what you flooded battery can deliver. Its recommended to consider a lithium comparable charger to get max usage out of the battery. There are many ways to do this. howson Howard and other here are experts. If you use the search feature there are probably hundreds of threads worth reading. The best choice depends on you future goal. Do you want an inverter? if so then going with a Victron Multiplus https://www.victronenergy.com/ is a great solution as it has a Lithium compatible charger built into the converter. Just one of many solutions.

Safe travels
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Keith thanks for your insight and help.

Comment

Hi Mike. I would suggest you visually check your model of converter as there have been some reports that different converters are being installed because of supply chain issues. Although with a 2021 you quite likely have the standard WFCO 9855 (does not have a LiFePO4 charging profile) . It's a simple check and might save you some grief/$$$ - it should be directly behind the aft wall of your passthrough storage (like 6 or 8 screws to remove that wall).

As Keith noted, you will probably get to ~80% or so with the 9855. But, if you have solar (rooftop or "suitcase"), this would be less of a concern as your solar charge controller (with a LiFePO4 profile) will usually top-off the battery (assuming you get sun on the panels).

I run a single 100Ah LiFe PO4 with that same WFCO converter and 200W of solar and this has been my experience. YMMV.

However, if I were to build out my battery bank to 100's of Ah to support an inverter then I would change out my converter - probably to a combo inverter/charger. So as Keith said - kind of depends what your plans are.

Ken & Sandra
        2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

KSC_Travels -- the good news (for future owners) is the industry is moving to auto-detect converters installed in Power Distribution Centers. Below is an example. Owners with this type of setup won't have to do a thing--the unit will automatically choose the right profile for the installed battery.

Note the "AD" at the end of the model number (that's the clue it's an auto-detect model).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Auto Detect.JPG
Views:	834
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	83875
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
            Note the "AD" at the end of the model number (that's the clue it's an auto-detect model).
            Thanks Howard - that IS a nice feature for future owners... makes the decision to go with a drop-in LiFePO4 battery (instead of LA or AGM) much simpler.
            Last edited by howson; 05-03-2022, 11:16 AM. Reason: Trimmed quote
            Ken & Sandra
            2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

Yes thanks all for the insight. Lithium compatible converters only make sense to install since so many put in lithium batteries.

Comment

My goal is to replace the lead acid battery with lithium with the best I can afford. Is the minimum one 100 ah battery? Any brand recommendations and are these basically available only from an online purchase? This is my converter Click image for larger version

Name:	2AF87F36-1F84-4AC2-A085-D3B2E1B6099C.jpeg
Views:	908
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	84049

Comment

My goal is to replace the lead acid battery with lithium with the best I can afford. Is the minimum one 100 ah battery? Any brand recommendations and are these basically available only from an online purchase? This is my converter Click image for larger version  Name:	2AF87F36-1F84-4AC2-A085-D3B2E1B6099C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	167.9 KB ID:	84049
                  That converter should be replaced if you are going to lithium. I just went through this getting WondersAwait setup with his Lithiums. I have used Lion Energy in my rig and a few friends I have setup. I personally find them a nice compromise between quality and price. They are not built as stoutly as Battleborn, but are priced lower. Occasionally they are on sale at Costco either in store as part of a traveling ""roadshow" or on the website. They are currently on the web site for two 100ah for $1,400.

https://www.costco.com/lion-energy-s...100663833.html

For a converter there are a variety of options. I am a fan of relocating it as closely to the batteries as possible, to minimize efficiency loss due to voltage drop. I spoke with the folks at Lion Energy about charger settings (my primary is the charger in my Multiplus inverter) and they recommended a fixed output charger and to let the BMS handle disconnecting the charger. I know some do not like that approach, but if you want to go that route I recommend this charger. It has a switch to put it into fixed voltage mode and I find it to be affordable, high current (shorter generator run times) and works very well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Mike Burns -- my own experience is with Battle Born. Not the cheapest, but I've been very pleased with them.

For a list of options from Will Prowse (someone I watch regularly) see https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/li...batteries.html

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I'm finally going lithium, Costco Lion, they will be here this week. I did some searching and decided on this for my 8955 series panel. It is apparently an new version that is auto detecting. Even thought I don't need AD at this point I figured the newest technology couldn't hurt.

https://parts.unitedrv.com/products/...wf-8955-ad-mba

I'll try to sell my two 6 volt AGM's locally.
                      Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
                      TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

I insstalled 2 Lion Energy UT1300's last fall and I am waiting the delivery of 2 more. They seem to be a good battery and a good price compared to others. I also went with the Powermax conerter/charge that ncitro Neil has listed above and has worked great.

1 battery will get you by if you are not dependent on it for more than a day or 2 , depending on your usage. If you are dry camping for 2 or 3 days then 2 batteries may be in order. I have went almost 4 days on 2 batteries and also had to run the furnace, power hog to say the least.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                        X