Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stock Battery low voltage disconnect 2022 297RSTS ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Battery low voltage disconnect 2022 297RSTS ?

I turned on bathroom and kitchen fans one evening. next afternoon battery was dead. Evidently ruined the battery. Nothing added or removed since new purchase 2 months ago. I there not a battery low voltage disconnect from factory?
    Mitch & Anita
    2022 - 297RSTS

Originally posted by SEMOGreen View Post
    I turned on bathroom and kitchen fans one evening. next afternoon battery was dead. Evidently ruined the battery. Nothing added or removed since new purchase 2 months ago. I there not a battery low voltage disconnect from factory?
    No low voltage disconnect. Best recommendation is a good shunt/battery monitor. I am a fan of the Victron Smart Shunt or BMV, but I have also used the Trimetric in the past. I believe the Victron has an alarm for state of charge you can enable. With flooded lead acid batteries (what your dealer most likely equipped) they start to be damaged at 50% charge, and it can become irreparable at less than 30% I believe.

The dealer supplies the batteries (or batteries) not Grand Design, but if they only supplied you with a single Group 24 sized battery, with both of those fans running for 12+ hours I could see them not lasting. If you are planning to do dry camping or boondocking (camping without hookups) I recommend Lithium Iron Phosphate (commonly called Lithium batteries), or at least two lead acid batteries. The lithiums are lighter, hold more charge, and can be discharged to 0 with no damage (but are more expensive for those benefits). Many write ups here on the process, I use Lion Energy (on sale at Costco right now) but BattleBorn are favorites of RVers as well.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

No low voltage disconnect. Best recommendation is a good shunt/battery monitor. I am a fan of the Victron Smart Shunt or BMV, but I have also used the Trimetric in the past. I believe the Victron has an alarm for state of charge you can enable. With flooded lead acid batteries (what your dealer most likely equipped) they start to be damaged at 50% charge, and it can become irreparable at less than 30% I believe.

The dealer supplies the batteries (or batteries) not Grand Design, but if they only supplied you with a single Group 24 sized battery, with both of those fans running for 12+ hours I could see them not lasting. If you are planning to do dry camping or boondocking (camping without hookups) I recommend Lithium Iron Phosphate (commonly called Lithium batteries), or at least two lead acid batteries. The lithiums are lighter, hold more charge, and can be discharged to 0 with no damage (but are more expensive for those benefits). Many write ups here on the process, I use Lion Energy (on sale at Costco right now) but BattleBorn are favorites of RVers as well.
      Neil, thanks for the reply and the information. I will check into the shunt you mentioned. Mitch
      Mitch & Anita
      2022 - 297RSTS

Comment

A single discharge won’t ruin a battery. Leaving it dead will, but the idea that deeply discharging a battery damages it in some way is a myth.
        John & Kathy
        2014 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
          A single discharge won’t ruin a battery. Leaving it dead will, but the idea that deeply discharging a battery damages it in some way is a myth.
          I agree with that - well until last night. I have a couple of pretty good chargers. Neither one will do anything once connected to this battery. Taking it to a service station to get tested for sure.
          Mitch & Anita
          2022 - 297RSTS

Comment

I really don’t think this is a myth. Many Canadian snowbirds (including us) leave an electric golf cart in storage in Florida over the summer. For the usual 6 or 7 months, these (disconnected) deep cycle lead/acid batteries survive just fine. Not being able to enter the US because of Covid restrictions meant that these batteries sat for an additional year. Thus, deeply self discharged. (Agreed that this fits the “left discharged” description). Very few of these batteries (across hundreds maybe thousands of carts) came back to life. All sorts of work arounds were tried. Charging an 8 volt battery with a 12V charger. Various concoctions added to the electrolyte. Even dumping the electrolyte (acid) and replacing with new. Nothing worked.

Rob

Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have to agree with Rob here. It may not be 50% as suggested by the manufacturers, but 40 years or boat and RV battery experience has qualitatively shown me they do not do well being deeply discharged, especially for any kind of length of time. I have played the water/acid/desulfating game and they never come back right. As they said in Pet Sematary "They don't come back the same". Obviously this can vary widely depending on use (a boat starter mixed with low current loads/just low current loads/high current long duration ie inverter), which makes it hard to do a good clean study, but its far from a myth.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by SEMOGreen View Post
                Mitch - I second the BMV suggestion. I have this one https://www.victronenergy.com/batter.../bmv-712-smart
                While it wont prevent full discharge, you can visually see the issue occurring. Also remember the disconnect switch may not disconnect everything. There may be parasitic draws from the safety detectors (LP, NOX) To prevent this when in storage pull a battery cable.

Keith
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I have to agree with Rob here. It may not be 50% as suggested by the manufacturers, but 40 years or boat and RV battery experience has qualitatively shown me they do not do well being deeply discharged, especially for any kind of length of time. I have played the water/acid/desulfating game and they never come back right. As they said in Pet Sematary "They don't come back the same". Obviously this can vary widely depending on use (a boat starter mixed with low current loads/just low current loads/high current long duration ie inverter), which makes it hard to do a good clean study, but its far from a myth.
                  It’s the length of time. There is no level of discharge that results in disproportionate damage if the discharge is followed promptly by a moderately fast recharge. Any discharge that drops the electrolyte density below about 1.24 SG allows damage to occur over time. More damage occurs by drawing the battery to 70% state of charge and allowing it to sit for two weeks than drawing it down to 10% state of charge and immediately recharging.

John & Kathy
                  2014 Reflection 303RLS
                  2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

It’s the length of time. There is no level of discharge that results in disproportionate damage if the discharge is followed promptly by a moderately fast recharge. Any discharge that drops the electrolyte density below about 1.24 SG allows damage to occur over time. More damage occurs by drawing the battery to 70% state of charge and allowing it to sit for two weeks than drawing it down to 10% state of charge and immediately recharging.
                    Agreed, but in most RV (and marine) situations where you let it get that low to begin with (boondocking etc) you may not have access to recharge for several days. Obviously if you're carrying a generator or solar you could, but then it probably would not get that low. I'm willing to bet most either made it through their trip with a dead battery, or hooked up their truck and got "enough"charge in to get through their trip and run the slides and jacks to get hooked up again. Definitely not enough to rejuvenate the battery. That also assumes the battery the dealer supplied was in decent condition to start with. Then if they're taking it to storage somewhere without power, and don't want to pull the batteries to take them home to charge them that's another issue.

I will certainly grant that lead acid batteries can work fine for rvers, but the care needed, maintenance, and weight per ah all go against the cost of lithium in my book. Those prices are down to the point now, and they have a projected lifespan long enough that I'll wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone doing any kind of dry camping or boondocking. Obviously if you're going to go only to full hookups, ora seasonal full hookup site that's another story. However for any kind of dry camping, you eliminate all the maintenance and can discharge them to zero with no penalty, they're an absolute win for an RV.

Neil Citro

Comment

I've seen batteries left discharged come back, as mentioned not as strong.

As for getting one to charge that the new style chargers will not see, try hooking up another good battery to the dead one and see if the charger will kick in. once you let it charge for about 1 hr or so, un hook the known good battery and see what happens.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Mitch - I second the BMV suggestion. I have this one https://www.victronenergy.com/batter.../bmv-712-smart
                        While it wont prevent full discharge, you can visually see the issue occurring. Also remember the disconnect switch may not disconnect everything. There may be parasitic draws from the safety detectors (LP, NOX) To prevent this when in storage pull a battery cable.

Keith
                        Keith - thank you for the suggestions.

Mitch
                        Mitch & Anita
                        2022 - 297RSTS

Comment

I may have fixed this battery. At least for a while. Found an “old” charger that has a “100a start” option. I did this for about 10 minutes then switched to the 3a. It was on there for about 3 hours and showed full charged. Put it back on my RV and so far so good. Will see how it lasts with me being more careful.
                          Mitch & Anita
                          2022 - 297RSTS

Comment

Working...
                          X