Safety Recall 2022-030

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety Recall 2022-030

I recently received a recall notice from GD about a potential electrical hazard in the refigerator wiring. This is for my 2017 337RLS fifth wheel trailer. It states that a power wire may be secured incorrectl and rub against the cooling unit and could cause an electrical fire. This is a dealer fix, but my dealer is two hours away and is booked out until September. Has anyone else received this recall and is it something I could remidy myself? Any advise would be appreciated.

Cheers

Originally posted by rpaling View Post
    I recently received a recall notice from GD about a potential electrical hazard in the refigerator wiring. This is for my 2017 337RLS fifth wheel trailer. It states that a power wire may be secured incorrectl and rub against the cooling unit and could cause an electrical fire. This is a dealer fix, but my dealer is two hours away and is booked out until September. Has anyone else received this recall and is it something I could remidy myself? Any advise would be appreciated.

Cheers
    This recall requires a dealer to sign off on the inspection or if required repair as I recall. Possibly a mobile tech but that may be at your expense. Reach out to Grand Design for confirmation.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

You can remedy this yourself but it is a safety recall and that requires a sign off from a technician. There is a propane gas line involved in the inspection that will need to be disconnected and re-connected, after there needs to be a propane test to insure there is no leaks, this is where the tech comes in.

I would recommend trying to get it properly taken care of so there are no issues.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I wonder if a person could do the check and modification themselves, then have an authorized LP inspector test and certify the system?

This would be a good question for GD.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          I wonder if a person could do the check and modification themselves, then have an authorized LP inspector test and certify the system?

This would be a good question for GD.
          The resolution process is out of the hands of Grand Design. Once a formal recall is established, NHTSA sets the rules. NHTSA presumes that dealer technicians are “more capable” than owners. It is what it is. I made sure that my trailer does not have this concern. When I sell it, the dealer can take it apart again to confirm my work.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I did the same thing Rob. My inspection did not reveal any of the potential problems.
            Given my past history with my dealer I have every confidence that I have more training and skills in repair than 99% of their techs.
            However I wouldn't recommend ignoring the recall for most other folks.
            2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

The resolution process is out of the hands of Grand Design. Once a formal recall is established, NHTSA sets the rules. NHTSA presumes that dealer technicians are “more capable” than owners. It is what it is. I made sure that my trailer does not have this concern. When I sell it, the dealer can take it apart again to confirm my work.

Rob
              There is another option that I pursued with the Molex connector recall. I replaced and repositioned the connectors on my own. Then, when I attended a rally in Southern California, I dropped a small portion of the underbelly so one of the GDRV Service Response Team (SRT) technicians could inspect my work and sign off the recall. They didn't have to do the work and the inspection and documentation took less than five minutes.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

There is another option that I pursued with the Molex connector recall. I replaced and repositioned the connectors on my own. Then, when I attended a rally in Southern California, I dropped a small portion of the underbelly so one of the GDRV Service Response Team (SRT) technicians could inspect my work and sign off the recall. They didn't have to do the work and the inspection and documentation took less than five minutes.

Jim
                This is what I did for that recall as well. Similar for the fridge, since I replaced mine with residential they just looked at it at the rally and signed off on it.

So I guess the answer is you can do it yourself (assuming you're capable), but if clear the recall in their system (mainly important for selling I think) you'll need someone to inspect it.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                X