Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suitcase solar wiring question

Hello,
    New member here and new 2022 303 owner. I have a suit case solar panel from our previous camper and I’m wondering if I can wire it to the charge controller that came with the camper? Would I need to bypass the controller that’s on the suitcase panel? Is their a better way to wire the suitcase panel that I’m not thinking of?
    Thanks
    2022 303RLS (9/21 build)

Chris A welcome to the forum. I am not familiar enough with the 303 to answer your question without more info. What is the controller that came with the camper? What panel do you have? Is there a solar connection on the outside of the camper?
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Bellis,
      it’s a 50a furrion charge controller I believe, with a 165W panel on the roof, all factory. No solar connection on the outside
      2022 303RLS (9/21 build)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris A View Post
        Bellis,
        it’s a 50a furrion charge controller I believe, with a 165W panel on the roof, all factory. No solar connection on the outside
        I would not use the factory controller, odds are the voltage of your portable panel is different than the rooftop panel. I'd just use the controller with your portable panel and connect it's output to your battery. Either through your front bay, or if you want a disconnect you could mount something to the right of the front bay door.

Something like this:

CERRXIAN 55cm 10AWG SAE Socket Solar Weatherproof Sidewall Port DIY Cord, SAE Quick Disconnect Wire Harness Panel Mount Power Cable with Cap https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TB7XH2H...11YK9WNF61A0JJ

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Bellis,
          I agree with ncitro . I'd just wire it directly to the battery using the connection Neil linked to.
          Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

I replaced the PCM controller and installed a Victron MPPT controller on my suitcase solar panels which is more efficient. Just plug it into the solar input on the rig which is a direct connection to the battery. The Victron controller reports via the Victron Bluetooth app as well.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
              I replaced the PCM controller and installed a Victron MPPT controller on my suitcase solar panels which is more efficient. Just plug it into the solar input on the rig which is a direct connection to the battery. The Victron controller reports via the Victron Bluetooth app as well.

Jim
              i don’t have a direct solar connection, unfortunately

2022 303RLS (9/21 build)

Comment

I just added a 200 W portable solar panel to my 2022 337RLS. I wired the RV and portable solar panels in series to the MPPT controller to maximize voltage (For PWM controllers connect the solar panels in parallel). Attached is the wiring diagram I made.
                Attached Files
                Mark & Val
                2022 Reflection 337RLS
                2020 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4X4 Long Bed

Comment

i don’t have a direct solar connection, unfortunately
                  It sounds like some basic wiring is required. I'm assuming your batteries ar in the front compartment. If it were me, I would place the sidewall port ( ncitro recommendation) on the camp side of the front area (you'll have to cut a small hole in the side of your trailer....yikes!). Run positive from sidewall port to a shutoff switch, then from shutoff to battery positive terminal. Negative goes from sidewall port to negative battery terminal.
                  Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

I just bought a Transcend 247BH and had a go-power suitcase solar panel. When we set the camp up I just wired the solar panel directly to my batteries. Just like I did on my old Jayco. Seem to work find. The rig came with 1-12v battery but will be replacing it with 2-6v batteries

Comment

Originally posted by LAHS75 View Post
                      I just added a 200 W portable solar panel to my 2022 337RLS. I wired the RV and portable solar panels in series to the MPPT controller to maximize voltage (For PWM controllers connect the solar panels in parallel). Attached is the wiring diagram I made.
                      Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for, do you happen to have any photos?
                      2022 303RLS (9/21 build)

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

It sounds like some basic wiring is required. I'm assuming your batteries ar in the front compartment. If it were me, I would place the sidewall port ( ncitro recommendation) on the camp side of the front area (you'll have to cut a small hole in the side of your trailer....yikes!). Run positive from sidewall port to a shutoff switch, then from shutoff to battery positive terminal. Negative goes from sidewall port to negative battery terminal.
                        my wife would kill me if I cut a hole in our brand new camper, not gonna happen😂

2022 303RLS (9/21 build)

Comment

The external connector looks like original equipment. Hard to see the wiring in the photo of the MPPT solar charge controller. Renogy has a lot of good information on controllers and wiring in parallel or series: Series vs Parallel Connections Explained | Renogy Solar
                          Attached Files
                          Mark & Val
                          2022 Reflection 337RLS
                          2020 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4X4 Long Bed

Comment

my wife would kill me if I cut a hole in our brand new camper, not gonna happen😂
                            Oh yea, I know the feeling...pucker factor is HIGH when the drill is in use!

Click image for larger version

Name:	hole in roof.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	85261
                            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Chris, I have an 2021 model 303. You could cut the inside front wall near the battery disconnect switch, wire in the plug as shown above, then using an extension cable run the power chord out through the wiring bulkhead in the plastic tray on the trailing side of the basement. You could even instal a bulkhead on the leading side of the plastic tray. That way no holes in the side wall.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X