GFCI Outlet Failure/GFCI Breaker Not Found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFCI Outlet Failure/GFCI Breaker Not Found

Okay all you sparkies, need some help here.

Yesterday my outside outlet between the front door and the basement access failed. This outlet is marked as GFCI protected but doesn't have test or reset buttons. In fact, the only GFCI outlet with buttons is the one in the front bath and it wasn't tripped and functioning.

I checked the breaker panel and did not find any tripped breakers. I have a single pole15 amp breaker that is labeled "GFI" which I think is a misprint, however, the breaker doesn't have test or reset buttons, none of the breakers do. Also the GFCI outlet in the front bath is not wired to this breaker (might by mis-labeled).

I checked other GFCI protected outlets and they are not working either. Again, no test or reset buttons on them. I even looked for the mythical second panel under the steps and it wasn't there.

Yesterday afternoon was warm and we had the ACs on when all this happened, SWMBO wasn't too happy about the idea of me turning of the shore power to really dig into things. Today is a travel day so not much will happen today.

Here are my questions: Should I have a GFCI breaker with test and reset functions? Is there a second panel board that I need to keep looking for? Do I need to go back and look for another outlet with test and reset buttons.

Oh, I'm fairly certain that the GCFI outlet in the front bath is not connected to the other GFCI protected outlets. When I tested it in the past none of the GFCI protected outlets lost power.
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

It is highly likely that you have another GFCI outlet which sends power to the outside outlet that is not working.

You said that the GFCI outlet in the front bath is not connected to the other protected outlets. I would try again just to be sure. Test and reset that outlet. Look around for another outlet that has the GFCI test and reset buttons. If there's no breaker that it tripped, it has to be an upstream GFCI outlet that is causing the issue.
    Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
    2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

JBill9694 I know my buddy with a 303 has a second GFCI outlet on the side of his island. In my 28BH all my GFCI outlets are fed by the resettable one in the bathroom. They're all regular outlets connected to the load side of the GFCI in the bathroom.

I do remember seeing some units with factory inverters having a dedicated subpanel in the pass through with additional breakers. Possibly one there could be the one you're looking for? I can't say I've seen any Grand Design rigs that use GFCI breakers rather than outlets, but I suppose anything is possible.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

The breaker labelled GFI probably is circuit protection for all of the GFCI outlets, but not intended to be a GFCI device itself.

Look up under cabinets during your search for the outlet.
        John & Kathy
        2014 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Is there a gfci receptacle in the basement protecting that outside receptacle?
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

JBill9694 do you have factory solar? If so, you will have a second breaker "subpanel" somewhere not too far from the main panel. This is the panel the inverter distributes through. Mine has a breaker for GFCI outlets.
            Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
            2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
            2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
            2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
            Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

Jimmer , ncitro , Jkwilson , I agree that if there is not a GFCI Breaker then all GFCI protected receptacles need to be down line of a GFCI receptacle, which has the test and reset buttons. The only GFCI receptacle is the one in the front bath and it is hot and was tested and reset on Sunday. The receptacles labeled GFCI protected are the exterior outlet between the basement and the front door, in the water cabinet adjacent to the Nautilus valves, under the upper cabinet above the galley sink, on the side of the kitchen sink cabinet, and on the side of the back bath sink cabinet. We.ve been full timing in this rig for four years now, pretty sure that I've found all the outlets, but if you can think of another place to look, let me know.

Maybe an interesting aside: None of the GFCI protected receptacles are in the slides. The receptacle under the upper cabinet above the stove is not labeled GFCI protected and is hot.

We regularly plug the coffee maker into the receptacle under the upper cabinet above the galley sink. When I've tested the GFCI receptacle in the front bath in the past I have not needed to reset the clock on the coffee maker. This has led me to conclude that the two receptacles are not connected. That said, I did double check the GFI breaker this morning and it is connected to the GFCI breaker in the front bath. I must have flipped the wrong breaker on Sunday.

TedS , there is not an exposed receptacle in the basement. There is, I think, two hidden ones for the vacuum and the converter. I pretty sure neither of them are GFCI protected but will pull the bulkhead later today and make sure.

DarnDave, I don't have factory solar, just the plug for a suitcase system, but the leads from that plug aren't connected to anything.

Yesterday afternoon, I picked up a proximity sensor and checked the GFCI protected outlets. None of them had power or, as far as I can tell, had power coming to them. Even though I have my doubts about it, it seems like checking the GFCI receptacle in the front bath and seeing if there are any wires leading out of it is a good place to start. Other than that, I believe I'm into back-tracing from GFCI protected receptacles, starting with the one that started this whole mess, to find the problem.
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

Originally posted by JBill9694 View Post
                Jimmer , ncitro , Jkwilson , I agree that if there is not a GFCI Breaker then all GFCI protected receptacles need to be down line of a GFCI receptacle, which has the test and reset buttons. The only GFCI receptacle is the one in the front bath and it is hot and was tested and reset on Sunday. The receptacles labeled GFCI protected are the exterior outlet between the basement and the front door, in the water cabinet adjacent to the Nautilus valves, under the upper cabinet above the galley sink, on the side of the kitchen sink cabinet, and on the side of the back bath sink cabinet. We.ve been full timing in this rig for four years now, pretty sure that I've found all the outlets, but if you can think of another place to look, let me know.

Maybe an interesting aside: None of the GFCI protected receptacles are in the slides. The receptacle under the upper cabinet above the stove is not labeled GFCI protected and is hot.

We regularly plug the coffee maker into the receptacle under the upper cabinet above the galley sink. When I've tested the GFCI receptacle in the front bath in the past I have not needed to reset the clock on the coffee maker. This has led me to conclude that the two receptacles are not connected. That said, I did double check the GFI breaker this morning and it is connected to the GFCI breaker in the front bath. I must have flipped the wrong breaker on Sunday.

TedS , there is not an exposed receptacle in the basement. There is, I think, two hidden ones for the vacuum and the converter. I pretty sure neither of them are GFCI protected but will pull the bulkhead later today and make sure.

DarnDave, I don't have factory solar, just the plug for a suitcase system, but the leads from that plug aren't connected to anything.

Yesterday afternoon, I picked up a proximity sensor and checked the GFCI protected outlets. None of them had power or, as far as I can tell, had power coming to them. Even though I have my doubts about it, it seems like checking the GFCI receptacle in the front bath and seeing if there are any wires leading out of it is a good place to start. Other than that, I believe I'm into back-tracing from GFCI protected receptacles, starting with the one that started this whole mess, to find the problem.
                Checking the wires coming out of the GFCI outlet is a good next step.

John & Kathy
                2014 Reflection 303RLS
                2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Pulled the GFCI outlet with GFI breaker off (proximity sensor confirmed no power). I found a slight dimple in the plastic housing near the copper bolt for the upper wire correction. There were incoming and exiting conductors. I connected the conductors together temporarily and flipped the breaker on. Had power to all the receptacles I listed in post #7 as GFCI protected.

Breaker back off and install new GCFCI breaker. Bottom conductor first, check for power and correct wiring, then top conductor. Checked for correct wiring and power to downline receptacles, all good. Tested GFCI breaker and no power to downline receptacles. As I noted before the downline receptacles had been staying hot after the GFCI breaker was tripped. So I consider this a win.

The outside receptacle that my compressor was plugged into when this all started is still not working, have power to and past it, but the receptacle itself is dead. I have a replacement but was having too much fun to take care of it. Will soon.

Answering my questions in post #1: Should I have a GFCI breaker with test and reset functions? NO. Is there a second panel board that I need to keep looking for? NO. Do I need to go back and look for another outlet with test and reset buttons? NO,

And I was wrong in stating that the GFCI protected receptacles were not on the same circuit as the GFCI receptacle. Bottom line is if you trip/test the GFCI receptacle and the GFCI protected receptacles stay hot the GFCI receptacle is bad, as was my case, or improperly wired.
                  John
                  2018 Momentum 395M
                  2018 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

I'm confused. Do you have a GFCI breaker or a GFCI outlet?
                    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                    2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                    2020 Momentum 351M
                    2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post
                      I'm confused. Do you have a GFCI breaker or a GFCI outlet?
                      He has a GFCI outlet. There are NO GFCI breakers installed.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

OffToHavasu, there is a single pole 15 amp breaker listed on the index card as GFI. The GFCI receptacle is wired to this breaker.
                        John
                        2018 Momentum 395M
                        2018 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

Working...
                        X