X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFCI tripping while generator running

Hello

I have a 2021 337RLS. Using a Hyundai 3400 Inverter gen

Trying to figure out what would cause the GFCI on my island to trip when my generator is running. Seems to be random, it doesn't happen every time the generator is running. It doesn't trip when the generator is not running and I am using my inverter.

I have tried grounding the generator, no change. Changed out the GFCI plug still happens. Unplugged the heated chairs as they apparently are wired downstream of that GFCI same issue.

If I had hair I would be pulling it out about now

Anybody have any suggestions.

BwrightS Sure seems like the generator would be the issue in the scenario, but to be sure I would track down all the GFCI downstream outlets and unplug everything in them. Trip the GFCI, see whats dead and unplug. See if that resolves the issue, and if so add those devices one at a time until the problem continues.

If it still happens with nothing connected, then you need to look at the generator. Are you using a neutral bonding plug (or is your generator bonded)? It should not cause that issue, but would not hurt to try. Also I assume you are connecting to the 30A plug in the generator, usually the 15/20A outlets are themselves GFCI and having two in line can cause issues. Do you have a buddy or anyone with a different generator you can try?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Yes I am using the 30A plug, but not a bonded ground. I have driven a long piece of rebar into the earth and tied that to the grounding screw on the generator after I started having the issue

Comment

I would think the neutral bonding plug should fix this. Also make sure the inverter is not on when the generator is being used.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

What about when on shore power?
          John & Kathy
          2014 Reflection 303RLS
          2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

I never use shore power. we manage a campground with no power or water

Comment

Originally posted by BwrightS View Post
              Yes I am using the 30A plug, but not a bonded ground. I have driven a long piece of rebar into the earth and tied that to the grounding screw on the generator after I started having the issue
              A ground rod alone will not solve the tripping gfci. Bond neutral to ground. Really don't need a ground rod.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I never use shore power. we manage a campground with no power or water
                There is really nothing that can affect the GFCI from the power source absent some bizarre wiring. The GFCI monitors only things after the GFCI in the wiring.

Something is changing from when running on generator and when running on the inverter. Is your inverter an integrated inverter and converter? Is there anything you manually change when switching to the inverter or anything you never use on the inverter?

John & Kathy
                2014 Reflection 303RLS
                2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Ok created a Bonded plug. Ground to Neutral as per a diagram I found. Plugged that into my generator after I disconnected the ground rod. started the generator and got an Overload alert on the generator. When that happens there is no power to the trailer.

Back to the drawing board. Will try to reach out to Hyundai (not hopeful there)

Comment

I have the Go Power IC 2000W Inverter. So integrated converter and inverter.

Comment

Ok created a Bonded plug. Ground to Neutral as per a diagram I found. Plugged that into my generator after I disconnected the ground rod. started the generator and got an Overload alert on the generator. When that happens there is no power to the trailer.

I suspect the Hot was wired to ground in the bonding plug. According to the Hyundai manual it has a floating neutral so a bonding plug should work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220517-140207_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	85317
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard beat me to it but I bet you've got the hot tied to ground not the neutral.

Neil Citro
                        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

FWIW. The wide blade is the neutral. The U-shaped blade is the ground. The narrow blade is the hot.
                          Ted
                          2021 Reflection 310RLS
                          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

yeah did this right i am sure Click image for larger version

Name:	20220517_142451.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	85326

Comment

BwrightS -- could the generator's output be wired wrong?

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                              X