Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

howson I guess its possible I have reached out to Hyundai

Comment

Spend a few $ (yes we are extremely helpful in helping you spend money) and pick up a https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 or https://www.amazon.com/Receptacle-Te...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ== and plug it in to the generator. This will help determine if the generator is wired backwards.

Also you may try testing the connection hot to neutral, hot to ground, neutral to ground to see what's going on. Be careful and only do this if you are comfortable working around live electricity.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

I guess the generator could be the issue.

Reached out to Go Power (they make my Inverter). They say there is a bonded ground built into the Inverter so adding 1 to the generator would cause more issues.

Still waiting to hear back from Hyundai

Comment

Originally posted by BwrightS View Post

Reached out to Go Power (they make my Inverter). They say there is a bonded ground built into the Inverter so adding 1 to the generator would cause more issues.

Speaking only from my experience with Magnum and Victron inverters here, but the inverter bond should only pull in (it's usually a relay) when you're running off of the inverter. Otherwise this would cause a problem when you're on shore power and the service is bonded in the main panel. This should be easy to check with a meter, when connected to your generator set your meter to ohms (resistance) and see if you have continuity between the ground and neutral. You should read near to 0 ohms (short) vs infinity (open). If it reads open you're not bonded when connected to the generator.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Just to add a little information from a GoPower manual. Your model may be different.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220518-114957_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	85431
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

This is from the Go Power IC2000 Inverter / Charger

Click image for larger version

Name:	GoPower manual pg34.PNG
Views:	194
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	85436 Click image for larger version

Name:	GoPower manual pg33.PNG
Views:	159
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	85437

Comment

BwrightS According to that manual it operates as I described and you'll need to bond the generator. The inverter automatically bonds the neutral and ground when it comes on, but when it detects power coming in (either but shore or generator) then it removes it's bond.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Thank you ncitro

Comment

Thank you ncitro
                    No problem. Unfortunately that does not help you with the question of why your generator overloaded when you tried to bond the two.

Neil Citro

Comment

The "short version" of the logic behind this is that the ground should be bonded to the neutral only at the source of the electricity. The "safety" ground is only there as an emergency return path the the source . . . it does no good to have it connected to neutral somewhere else. When the generator is the source of electricity there should be no neutral/ground bond at the inverter and vice versa. Neutral/ground bonds at inverter and generator should both be lifted when connected to shore power.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Update.

Borrowed an old Honda contractor grade generator 5000w connected to that have had it running for several hrs and it has not popped my GFCI. Must be something with my Hyundai gen Grrrr

Comment

Oh yeah it does not have the bonded plug connected.

Comment

Contractor generators are different than the inverter generators and it may be internally n-g bonded.
                            Ted
                            2021 Reflection 310RLS
                            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

A GFCI doesn’t care if the neutral is bonded on the power source. A GFCI doesn’t care if the power source is grounded or if there is even a ground wire coming from the power source. A GFCI isn’t affected by the power source at all unless the power source is mis-wired or defective such that current flows through the ground wire

A GFCI responds to two things and only two things: A difference in hot and neutral current passing through the GFCI, and a connection between the ground and neutral wires downstream of the GFCI. If either of these situations occur, the GFCI will trip immediately, every time
                              John & Kathy
                              2014 Reflection 303RLS
                              2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

That was my original thinking about tripping gfci when using inverter generators. Only unbalanced current flow in hot and neutral can trip the gfci. That leads to concluding all inverter generators that are not n-g bonded are wrongly wired. I don't think that is true. There must be some other reason for unbalanced current that n-g bonding solves.
                                Does a gfci trip when self-testing when the power source does not have a n-g bond?
                                Ted
                                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                                X