GFCI tripping while generator running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TedS View Post
    That was my original thinking about tripping gfci when using inverter generators. Only unbalanced current flow in hot and neutral can trip the gfci. That leads to concluding all inverter generators that are not n-g bonded are wrongly wired. I don't think that is true. There must be some other reason for unbalanced current that n-g bonding solves.
    Does a gfci trip when self-testing when the power source does not have a n-g bond?
    Neutral bonding of the power source alone has no effect on a GFCI. GFCIs will trip if there is a neutral bond downstream, but otherwise the presence or absence of a neutral bond before the GFCI has no effect on GFCI operation.

The GFCI doesn’t use the ground wire to detect a ground fault or to test. The test function works by routing a little bit of current via a resistor from one wire on a parallel path outside the sensing coil to create a current imbalance within the coil. The test button is a very good way to verify GFCI operation.

Grounding or the lack thereof, bonding or the lack thereof, or even a ground fault prior to the GFCI won’t trip the GFCI except in the case of both an upstream and downstream bond which can result in part of the neutral current running in the EGC.

John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Update.
      After contacting Hyundai's Canadian distributor they say that the generator has "floating ground"

I asked if using a bonding plug would void the warranty and they basically wouldn't answer the question and suggested talking to an electrician. below is their response to my asking if using a bonded plug would cause issues or void the warranty.

Hi Bruce,

We recommend speaking with a certified electrician to give you the best advice as we do not want you to void the warranty by providing incorrect information.

Best regards,

Not sure why the Hyundai customer support would not know the answer to this. So I pushed back and said they should know what would / would not void the warranty and this was their response.

Hi Bruce,

UL/CSA/ETL has no standard in place for testing a bonded plug, so there is no way for us to certify that this kind of device can or can not be used safely. If we tested this ourselves and found it caused no issues, we still can not recommend it to a customer without first testing with one of these accredited labs.

We hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Frustrated now. Guess I will try the bonded plug again, as I did try it before and it put my generator into overload and shut down the output , but kept the engine running.

Feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall

Comment

You might want to verify that the output on the generator is correct. If you feel comfortable working around live electricity, check that the "HOT" is truly the only power source. It could be that the generator is running 1/2 power on each of the "HOT" and the "NEUTRAL" providing the full voltage. This should NOT be the case, but I have seen stranger things.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BwrightS View Post
          Update.
          After contacting Hyundai's Canadian distributor they say that the generator has "floating ground"

I asked if using a bonding plug would void the warranty and they basically wouldn't answer the question and suggested talking to an electrician. below is their response to my asking if using a bonded plug would cause issues or void the warranty.

Hi Bruce,

We recommend speaking with a certified electrician to give you the best advice as we do not want you to void the warranty by providing incorrect information.

Best regards,

Not sure why the Hyundai customer support would not know the answer to this. So I pushed back and said they should know what would / would not void the warranty and this was their response.

Hi Bruce,

UL/CSA/ETL has no standard in place for testing a bonded plug, so there is no way for us to certify that this kind of device can or can not be used safely. If we tested this ourselves and found it caused no issues, we still can not recommend it to a customer without first testing with one of these accredited labs.

We hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Frustrated now. Guess I will try the bonded plug again, as I did try it before and it put my generator into overload and shut down the output , but kept the engine running.

Feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall
          Adding a bond at the generator won’t affect a GFCI downstream.

John & Kathy
          2014 Reflection 303RLS
          2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Working...
          X