Victron Orion DC-DC installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victron Orion DC-DC installation

I have a 2019 Reflection 337rls. I need to run 6awg wire from the pin box back to the front cargo bay like the 7-pin wire is run. I will have an Anderson connector on that wire and zip tied to the regular trailer cable that plugs into the truck. I will then have the Anderson mate connector connected to 6awg to the front battery/alternator. The question is how to get the 6awg wire from the pin box back to the front cargo area. Has anyone done this? I cannot fish it easily. The 7-pin cable goes as a bundle. Do I need to unscrew the skins near the pin box to do this? Some have used the existing charge wire for this purpose but the guage of wire is small to handle a larger current draw so I am reluctant to use that wire.

davidsimmonds There are a few posts here, I know howson in particular has done this. I think most do pull the skin down. I tried to fish mine and could not get it (I have a lot of experience pulling and fishing wire). For mine I finally drilled up into the compartment under my bed and then ran through the under bed storage and dropped down into the battery bay. I realize in the 337 the bed runs sideways so that's not an option, just suggesting it to make you think outside the box.

Also assuming you are doing the 40 or 60 amp charger I'd suggest at least 4AWG, that's what I ran for my 40 per the Renogy manual.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

My 315RLTS is completely different since it's a TT, not a 5vr. Sorry...can't be much help on this one. Country Campers ?
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
        My 315RLTS is completely different since it's a TT, not a 5vr. Sorry...can't be much help on this one. Country Campers ?
        Brian used the factory pigtail since he is only 20A. :(

Neil Citro

Comment

I did fish a wire thru that area but it was only 14 ga. Following the pigtail is impossible. You could loosen the screws in the cover but did not have to do that. The frame work under the skin is pretty close.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

davidsimmonds

I did exactly what you are talking about, I fished 6awg wire from the pin box to the front compartment using doubled up bailing wire , took some time but was doable. I didn’t loosen the skin and I ended up fishing two 6awg for the dc-dc charger and two 10awg for the electric over hydraulic brakes. I also used the Anderson connection works great.

Jim
            Jim and Cindy
            2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
            2021 320G

Comment

The problem fishing is that it does not go straight back. It goes at an angle and comes out the front storage on the side. So it looks like I have to skin the unit. That should not be too much trouble. Just have to caulk it back after. I have seen a view other installs of the Orion 30A unit and they all use 6awg so that should be sufficient. This and running the wires to the roof for solar are the most difficult. I saw a link for a 337rls where he showed how they got from the ceiling to the basement so that is helpful. What I do not know is if he drilled holes in the ceiling to the outside or did he exit from the bathroom ceiling fan. He never did say and I sent a message to the thread asking but no response yet.

337RLS solar wiring - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

Victron Energy Orion Tr Smart DC-DC Chargers | Inverters R US
              Last edited by davidsimmonds; 05-21-2022, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davidsimmonds View Post
                I have a 2019 Reflection 337rls. I need to run 6awg wire from the pin box back to the front cargo bay like the 7-pin wire is run. I will have an Anderson connector on that wire and zip tied to the regular trailer cable that plugs into the truck. I will then have the Anderson mate connector connected to 6awg to the front battery/alternator. The question is how to get the 6awg wire from the pin box back to the front cargo area. Has anyone done this? I cannot fish it easily. The 7-pin cable goes as a bundle. Do I need to unscrew the skins near the pin box to do this? Some have used the existing charge wire for this purpose but the guage of wire is small to handle a larger current draw so I am reluctant to use that wire.
                If you loosed the skin (field screws) and us a blunt end fish tape it can be done. You can also go from inside the compartment to to the pin box ;etting the fish tape slide along the skin.

One word of caution do not drill into or screw into the square propane cross over tube on the ceiling of the front bay as there is a propane line inside. Don't ask how I know Please take pictures and post your build. I am not too far behind you on the same project
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I looked at fishing into the pin box from inside of the compartment but there does not seem to be a way into the pin box other than the hole that is used to feed the normal 7-pin cable through. There is no opening except for that one.

Edit: never mind the previous statement. I just looked again and there seems to be a little space available from the pin box over the skin to the compartment. I will run a fish pole through to make sure. My 6 awg cable arrives tomorrow so we shall see. I will take photos to show progress.
                  Last edited by davidsimmonds; 05-21-2022, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Your 5th wheel must be different than mine , here you can see where I ran the wires at the back of the pin box hole and they come out inside. Three of the wires are next to each other the forth one is on the right side out of the picture.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	A0948289-F10F-4C47-BCFD-E95FE5025863.jpeg
Views:	356
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	85733 Click image for larger version

Name:	5104C203-D294-4883-BB6C-0A297049F69B.jpeg
Views:	339
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	85734 Click image for larger version

Name:	AB215CDE-A4A3-4C8D-8D82-775604892825.jpeg
Views:	341
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	85735
                    Jim
                    Jim and Cindy
                    2021 F350 DRW 7.3L
                    2021 320G

Comment

Yup. That is the slot that I found upon second look as noted above. I will try to fish that way. It should be successful. The original 7-pin wiring does not go through that slot though. It is routed nicer through a hole in the pin box to inside of the front to the driver side of the compartment where there is a hole in which all of the wires come out of.

Any ideas on how to get the wires to the outside roof for solar? I can follow the following link but no details on where to go after that are available:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/3...s-solar-wiring
                      Last edited by davidsimmonds; 05-21-2022, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by davidsimmonds View Post
                        The problem fishing is that it does not go straight back. It goes at an angle and comes out the front storage on the side. So it looks like I have to skin the unit. That should not be too much trouble. Just have to caulk it back after. I have seen a view other installs of the Orion 30A unit and they all use 6awg so that should be sufficient. This and running the wires to the roof for solar are the most difficult. I saw a link for a 337rls where he showed how they got from the ceiling to the basement so that is helpful. What I do not know is if he drilled holes in the ceiling to the outside or did he exit from the bathroom ceiling fan. He never did say and I sent a message to the thread asking but no response yet.

337RLS solar wiring - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

Victron Energy Orion Tr Smart DC-DC Chargers | Inverters R US
                        Right, the Orion 30amp should be good for 6AWG. I was thinking of the Renogy 40A unit.

Neil Citro

Comment

I am now excited about trying the fishing method to get the awg 6 thru. I will fish thru some cord first. Then I will anxiously await the 6awg wire Sunday delivery. Then attach it to the two wires (black and red) and drag through. Again, I will try to get photos of the fun process.

My Victron MultiPlus II 2x120 arrives on Tuesday. All I need then is to convince my wife that solar panels on the roof is needed. Needed not wanted. lol

Comment

Comment

Working...
                            X