2nd Bedroom Dometic Evolution AC drawing 123A on startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Bedroom Dometic Evolution AC drawing 123A on startup

We are on our very first camping trip with our new 2022 2800BH and the 2nd AC is drawing 123A on startup. I have my RV connected to 50amp electrical service and connected to a 50A power watchdog surge protector and did a screen video when the 2nd AC compressor turns on. Nothing else was running except the power converter was drawing 80W. The living AC unit works great.
    2022 Imagine BH2800
    ProPride P3 hitch
    2013 Ford F-150 4x4, 3.5 Ecoboost

jdfritz - That sounds like a locked up compressor. I'd report it for warranty repair.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      jdfritz - That sounds like a locked up compressor. I'd report it for warranty repair.

Jim
      Or bad run capacitor.
      Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
      2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
      2020 Momentum 351M
      2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try a new run capacitor.
        2022 Imagine BH2800
        ProPride P3 hitch

Comment

So I went up and was going to change out the Run cap and noticed the wires didn’t match the diagram. I checked the living area AC and it was wired correctly according to the diagram. Does anyone know if the Herm (Red wire and Common white) were switched if it would fry the coils in the compressor?
          Attached Files
          2022 Imagine BH2800
          ProPride P3 hitch

Comment

jdfritz -- definitely not right and why the start capacitor is not doing it's job. While it would be easy to move the wires that compressor could be damaged or at minimum have reduced life left due to stress starting. I'd ask for a replacement.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220528-154925_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	86346
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Report it to the dealer. If lead time is too long on the replacement call the MFG directly.

I would not accept switching the wires and hoping the unit last. With that much input, it's possible as Howard suggest that something inside the compressor is compromised.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Just heard back from GD. My local dealer refuses to do any warranty repairs on my new RV because I didn’t buy it from them.

My local dealer is RV Country and I reported them to GD as not doing warranty repairs on GD RVs not purchased from them. They wanted to charge me $6,000 for delivery charges when I was looking to purchase so I went somewhere else who only charged MSRP.

Anyways I called GD directly and they will be shipping me a new AC which I can install myself. Local RV repair shops are too busy right now.
                2022 Imagine BH2800
                ProPride P3 hitch

Comment

Just to be clear . . . no RV dealer is obligated to do service work on a unit that they did not sell. This is their agreement with the manufacturers across the entire towable RV industry. This is not like your truck where you can make your best purchase deal at one dealer and expect warranty service at another.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Double check the warranty on the replacement unit if you do the install. When I had the AC replaced on my first TT, I was informed that if it was not done by an authorized repair / install facility (mobile tech) it would not have a warranty.

You may be able to find a mobile tech that will show up and verify the work (minutes vs hours of work) or just make the last few plugs so the warranty is active, and since they are only there for a few minutes be able to work you into their schedule in a more acceptable time frame.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                    X