Converter/Charger Output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post
    Dave27 -- what PowerMax model? Usually the manual has specific recommendations for fusing and wire sizes (not forgetting the length of the wire is also a consideration).

The number of batteries in parallel is not a consideration for the fuse. Think of it in terms of a water tank connected to a standard RV pump. Given there's water in the tank the pump will push X amount of water through over Y time. Just because an additional tank is added (or a larger one is installed) the pump will still push the same X amount of water over Y time. The only difference is the pump will do it longer since there is more water available. Same with the battery bank. What's connected to the batteries (charger, inverter, etc) and the most critical consideration--wire size--determines the fuse. If I remember correctly 25% over the maximum sustained current expected is the fuse rating (google will know).
    Hi Howard,
    It is PowerMax PM3 100LKL. The manual says the min wire is 8AWG. It also says "the 12 vac output wiring does not need over-current protection because the converter/charger limits current output."

Dave
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Brian and I both run the Power max, mine is only a backup but I did not fuse the output. For the 100A model (which is what I have), I'd go with larger wire than 8 gauge. I think I ran 2 on mine. It's a short run for mine so the cost was minimal, and I wanted to minimize loss.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
        Brian and I both run the Power max, mine is only a backup but I did not fuse the output. For the 100A model (which is what I have), I'd go with larger wire than 8 gauge. I think I ran 2 on mine. It's a short run for mine so the cost was minimal, and I wanted to minimize loss.
        What did you and Country Campers use (what size fuse and type) to protect the input side?
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Dave27

​​​​​​​I did not fuse the output of the charger either. I also ran 2 ga wire from charger to batteries, and most other connections and from roof down for solar.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

howson Input side is 120, I ran a dedicated circuit from my front bay back to the main panel. I hacked apart an old 12AWG extension cord and put it on a 20A breaker since I had empty slots in the panel. If it was full I'd have used the factory converter breaker.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

My converter plugged into the back of the breaker panel so I just plugged my extension cord in when I removed the stock converter plug so it is on the stock breaker. With this setup I can remove the upgrades and return to the stock converter with little effort.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                A question has arose in a conversation that I thought might be a good one to ask here.

If the converter/charger output is say 100 amps, Will this be split between 2 batteries, only 50 amps going to each battery?

I realize that there is amps being used by the RV but this is just to keep it general.

Brian
                With proper size cabling and batteries of the same capacity and approximate age....YES.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                X