Simple LIFEPO4 for 2670MK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple LIFEPO4 for 2670MK

I'm looking to do the simplest LIFEPO4 install, but don't want to leave $$$$ on the tongue so I want to relocate the battery to the storage compartment. I'm not installing an inverter. I also want to leave the existing wiring on the tongue.

I've seen a couple other posts about simple installs, but sounds like they still had an inverter.

Ultimately, I'm looking for wiring tips. Where can I run the positive wire? Where can I ground? I'm thinking I just need to find a way to get to where the tongue batteries tie into the trailer. This way I don't have issues with losing emergency brake etc. I basically want everything to work the same as it does today. Nothing fancy. Prefer to not have to drill any holes to get the wiring out of the compartment. Doable?

Guest I see you responded to another post for someone doing something similar, and found one that may have done as well. Hoping you might have some guidance.
    2022 Ford F250 XLT FX4
    2022 Imagine 2670MK

If you plan to run an inverter, you may need to upgrade the wiring between the battery and the inverter. If you only want the LiFePO4 for additional aH rating, then the only things to change are the battery and possibly the converter. You will need to check the model of the converter to see if it's LiFePO4 compatible.

There is a post with someone that changed out the plastic battery box to a metal one with locks to prevent theft. Do a forum search for locking battery box and see what comes up. Be advised that not all boxes will accept all batteries, so you may need to do a bit of research and calling to get good measurements.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Lhinaz71 View Post
      I'm looking to do the simplest LIFEPO4 install, but don't want to leave $$$$ on the tongue so I want to relocate the battery to the storage compartment. I'm not installing an inverter. I also want to leave the existing wiring on the tongue.

I've seen a couple other posts about simple installs, but sounds like they still had an inverter.

Ultimately, I'm looking for wiring tips. Where can I run the positive wire? Where can I ground? I'm thinking I just need to find a way to get to where the tongue batteries tie into the trailer. This way I don't have issues with losing emergency brake etc. I basically want everything to work the same as it does today. Nothing fancy. Prefer to not have to drill any holes to get the wiring out of the compartment. Doable?

Guest I see you responded to another post for someone doing something similar, and found one that may have done as well. Hoping you might have some guidance.
      Lhinaz71,

The easiest and most cost effective solution in a lithium conversion would be to swap out the power center (converter/charger) with a WFCO switchable unit or swap out just the charger portion of the power center. From there, move both wires on your battery switch to one side and run a dedicated wire with circuit breaker from the open end of your battery switch to a lithium battery located inside the same battery box but moved inside the passthrough. Run a ground wire from the battery to the frame of the rig.
      Remove the two wires that are located out on the tongue to where your original battery was located. Save those wires.

A small inverter capable of operating only the TV and DVD player could easily be ran from the power center to the TV. I plan to do this at some point.

If you buy one of the inexpensive battery brands that have been serving folks without issue you can save some $$. I purchased an AIMS battery on Amazon and went for their card to save more. My battery was $600 by using this method of purchase. Folks here are having good luck with the Lions Energy brand from Costco and others with Battle Born. Another good battery but this one is expensive.

It is important to note that in using this method, your battery switch must be in the ON position for travel since the emergency brake switch will be running through your battery switch. If this is an issue for you, a dedicated break away kit with battery and charger can be mounted out on the tongue. You can use the original battery wires that were out on the tongue to charge the dedicated break away kit.

At some point you could install a DCDC charger which would have a lithium charge profile to charge from your TV.

Jim
      Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2022, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Jlawles2 Guest Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm new to RV'ing, and this is my first RV. At this point, I'm on information overload. I've learned way more about Weight Distribution Hitches, EMS, Solar/Solar controllers, cargo carrying capacities and CAT scales, Generators (I had to build my own Ground Neutral Bonding plug), LIFEPO4 batteries, etc. than I ever thought I would need to know about. And here I thought I was just going to hop in my trailer and enjoy the beautiful scenery and enjoy the relaxation.

That's why I'm trying to keep this install as simple as possible. As far as inverter, not yet, maybe in the future. But whatever I do should not prevent me from doing that. Instead, I did buy a small Bluetti that I can use to power my TV and other small electronics. I also bought a 200w solar suitcase panel that I can use to charge either the Bluetti, or my LIFEPO4. In addition, the existing onboard solar will charge the LIFEPO4.

I'm not going to upgrade the converter at this time (but will potentially in the future). I know it won't charge the LIFEPO4 to full charge, but when I'm off grid, that doesn't matter. I do have a Victron Bluesmart battery charger that I can use to charge when I have power. My storage facility includes power so that should work fine to top off the battery before a trip.

As far as battery I already bought a SOK 206ah battery in a metal box. Which is part of the reason I don't want to put on the tongue - since it's not sealed.

I went to my storage facility today to take a look underneath the trailer, and inside the box where the battery disconnect switch is. It looks like I should be able to run some wire through the existing hole where the existing wiring goes through. Then, I could just mount to the existing connections on the frame. If that proves too difficult, I like your idea Guest about connecting to the battery switch. That would certainly be the easiest solution. And, in my case, I've never had a need to turn it off since I have power at my storage facility. I keep it on so I can keep the current battery charged. Though, if I ever sell, I'd have to change that, or I just wouldn't feel good about it. But for me, that might be a good short term solution so I can get it working for my next trip if I can't route the wiring in the existing holes.

Thanks again.
        Lee

2022 Ford F250 XLT FX4
        2022 Imagine 2670MK

Comment

Lee, I thought you might be looking for a simple solution to keep the LiFePO4 from getting stolen off the tongue. https://www.rvlockbox.com/shop/14-si...inum-box-y59xf looks like it will fit the SOK and be in the original position. Since you are not planning on an inverter at this time, all of the factory wiring should be fine in the stock location.

If you choose to put the battery in the storage area, using the battery disconnect as suggested is a good option. If the disconnect wiring is inside, you could repurpose the postive wire coming from the factory location and make it a ground wire (label and tape the end or couple a different color wire for clarity) to keep from having to add extra holes in the camper.
          Joseph
          Tow
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

I used a RV Lockbox to house 2 Battle Born batteries on the tongue. Fit a disconnect switch in there as well with 2 buss bars and a fuse. Tight fit, but it works and I reused most of the stock trailer wiring where the existing gauge was sufficient. RV lockbox has a variety of sizes and styles with dimensions listed on their website.
            Attached Files
            Dan M.
            2022 Momentum 23G
            2019 F250 6.7L

Comment

My simple install is anything but...

After realizing that relocating the battery in the passthrough was adding about 4 feet of wire to the already on the cusp or too small 8awg wire for the converter, I started considering the RV lockbox more seriously.

Unfortunately, my battery is too tall at 13 inches. I checked the inside dimensions listed for each box on their site. No luck.

I'm not sure what to do at this point.
              2022 Ford F250 XLT FX4
              2022 Imagine 2670MK

Comment

Lhinaz71 since you have a single battery will it fit if you lay it on its side in the box?
                Ted
                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Keep temperature in mind when choosing a mounting location. A lithium battery will have the best longevity when operated and stored in temperatures we ourselves find comfortable. In cold temperatures, a battery outside the heated space may need to be warmed in order to be charged. In excessively hot conditions, they can simply fail. Heat is generated during charging as well as discharging. This in addition to being located in very hot conditions will reduce the longevity of a battery.

A battery temperature sensor when using the Victron BMV712 is ideal in monitoring battery temperature.

Jim
                  Last edited by Guest; 06-08-2022, 06:47 AM.

Comment

My simple install is anything but...

After realizing that relocating the battery in the passthrough was adding about 4 feet of wire to the already on the cusp or too small 8awg wire for the converter, I started considering the RV lockbox more seriously.

Unfortunately, my battery is too tall at 13 inches. I checked the inside dimensions listed for each box on their site. No luck.

I'm not sure what to do at this point.
                    I mounted my battery in its original box inside the passthrough and next to the docking station. Roughly 4ft of 4AWG was used to connect to the battery switch while 3ft of battery wire was removed from the tongue of the rig. No concern with voltage drop.

Jim

Comment

TedS No, I considered that too. It's the big 206ah battery.

​​​​​​Guest I've seen your install and your suggestions here. Its at the top of my list. I'm just mentally struggling with the switch/ebrake issue. I don't know why, in fact I never turn off the switch, so it really shouldn't matter.

Thanks all for your suggestions.
                      2022 Ford F250 XLT FX4
                      2022 Imagine 2670MK

Comment

TedS No, I considered that too. It's the big 206ah battery.

​​​​​​Guest I've seen your install and your suggestions here. Its at the top of my list. I'm just mentally struggling with the switch/ebrake issue. I don't know why, in fact I never turn off the switch, so it really shouldn't matter.

Thanks all for your suggestions.
                        There is a simple solution to the break away system where there are a couple of benefits in using a remote system like the one below. One is that the entire unit can be mounted outside the rig where this unit is not supposed to be fused. So if using this unit, it can be connected to the original battery connection out on the tongue for charging. The other advantage is that this unit does not run through the battery switch in using this method. Battery switch needs to be on only for charging the remote break away unit.

I've checked on the proper method in using the break away system and it can be set up with a breaker, but with no other items if an alternate method is desired for connection.

Using the method of moving both terminals to one side of the switch, the break away is still directly connected but it does power through the switch. I struggled with this at first and figured since we travel with the fridge on, and in order to use the tongue jack, the switch must be in the on position so its impossible to forget to turn it on.

There is one more caveat. If a transport is used, they are accustomed to not using the battery switch since the break away in its original configuration is direct connected to the battery. So they must be informed and trusted to turn the switch back off after delivery. Another advantage in using a remote break away kit with charger.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bre...ins/20400.html

Jim
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-08-2022, 08:31 AM.

Comment

I went back and looked. The metal cased battery is a bit taller. I wonder if SOK has a different top terminal or if you could change it to a shorter terminal terminal type so that it will fit in the box. They may even let you move the terminals to the end vs the top.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Ha!, You guys sent me on a wild goose chase trying to find the right high ah LifePo4 battery to match the tongue boxes mentioned. No Bueno for fit. I don't remember your sharing what RV you have. I have a 2021 2500RL and I think I'll just put mine inside the pass through as out of the way as possible, and it will be protected from elements, heat, cold, and sticky fingers. It will only add 2 ft to the wiring, so if my stock wiring from the converter is 8 or 6 ga, I won't have to worry about it. Would anyone know the WFCO 8955 Converter/charger to battery size wiring right off the top of your head?
                            2021 GD Imagine 2500RL with 600 watts of Solar added.
                            2017 GMC 2500 Duramax

Comment

Originally posted by RockingKCranch View Post
                              Ha!, YWould anyone know the WFCO 8955 Converter/charger to battery size wiring right off the top of your head?
                              I'm 92.6756% certain it's 6 awg.
                              Jim and Ginnie
                              2024 Solitude 310GK
                              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                              X