Help. My 2021 imagine 2500RL will not charge while on shore power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help. My 2021 imagine 2500RL will not charge while on shore power

I have a 2021 Imagine 2500RL and when on show power my battery does not charge and the 12v system will not work with out a charged battery when on shore power. I know where the converter is but cannot find any fuses or circuit breakers. I do not see any fuses on the out side of the converter, so I am assuming I have to take out the converter and remove the cover to find one. Oh, the battery does charge when connected to my truck.

I have taken this three times to my dealer and they say they fixed it but I see the same results (no charging). To keep me rolling I have gotten a battery charger and connect it directly to the battery. I really need some help on this.

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

I'll be glad to help you out. On your 2500RL, you appear to have a 30 amp AC power center with an integrated 55 amp DC converter. Manufacturer is WFCO.
    Please confirm that you have a WFCO WF-8955-AD unit.

I'm attaching a document from WFCO that shows some good trouble-shooting info. On page 5, it shows the location of the reverse polarity fuses. If either of these are blown, the converter will not work.

Page 10 show a trouble-shooting flow chart that is very useful in tracking down the problem.

https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...anualCat-4.pdf

If you have another model of converter, let me know and I'll look up the document for you.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Has the dealer ever explained what they did to it ? You have taken the first step by getting a battery charger for your emergency kit. I keep a small trickle charger for just such occasions. At least that way you can still function while you troubleshoot.
      You have already gotten all the info you will need from Jim. ^^^
      2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

I've also got a 2021 2500RL and it has that same WFCO 8955PEC model powercenter. I haven't had any problems with it though. I just looked under the hood at it and documentation as I am getting the lithium compatible charger for it. It is inside the left door under the TV. * There are two red 40amp fuses viewable when you open the cover, parallel to and just left of the other 12v fuses. These are for the reverse polarity protection. Check those if you haven't. Question for you though. The 12 volt and 120v appliances work OK if it is plugged in and battery is disconnects? Only problem is no charging?

Theoretically, shore power to the power center should run everything with the battery disconnected. AC (microwave/AC/ plugs) and DC (lights/water pump, etc)
        Last edited by RockingKCranch; 06-11-2022, 10:05 AM.
        2021 GD Imagine 2500RL with 600 watts of Solar added.
        2017 GMC 2500 Duramax

Comment

Make sure that the battery disconnect switch is pushed in a turned so that it can not be removed, most of the RVs need to be this way to charge the battery.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

So I checked the fuses and they appeared to not have blown. I an going to replace them tomorrow. When I do disconnect the battery and have shore power the 12v system does not work.

Any thoughts?

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tripdreamer View Post
              So I checked the fuses and they appeared to not have blown. I an going to replace them tomorrow. When I do disconnect the battery and have shore power the 12v system does not work.

Any thoughts?

Tom
              Did you follow the flowchart I posted in my response above?

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Sorry it took me so long to get back. Yes I completed the flowchart. I did not get any readings 0 (amps). I tried looking for other fuses also.

Comment

Tripdreamer It might be helpful if you can relate what the dealer did and if it helped even temporarily. Any paperwork you received when you picked it up ?

Comment

The dealer was Lazydays in tampa. At first they told me the battery was just dead and replaced it. Then I took it back and they told them is still did not work. They ordered a new converter and told me they replace it. it still did not work. I took it back and they said oh it is charging the battery. I showed them it was not and they told me I was wrong. The battery was losing the charge again in the with in the next few hours so I went out and bought my own battery. Now I have done with this blog recommended and I am still getting the same results. All this in the last 6 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Tripdreamer View Post
                      Sorry it took me so long to get back. Yes I completed the flowchart. I did not get any readings 0 (amps). I tried looking for other fuses also.
                      What step are you at where you get zero? If its the step where you disconnect the battery and check the converter output, that should be volts not amps, but if you get zero there your converter is bad. Assuming you have 120V into the converter and no output, and you checked the reverse polarity fuses with a meter (never trust checking them by sight) then the converter is bad and needs to be replaced. To get you by in the short term you could plug a battery charger in and connect it to the batteries.
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Tripdreamer -- I think ncitro 's on to something. Can you take a picture of the meter configuration (and where the meter is connected to the circuit) and post it so we can see what's being done?
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I hate to even guess what the dealer did or didnt do but my gut tells me they didnt replace the converter. If you have any paperwork that came with the trailer showing serial numbers of the major components you may find the info on the converter and verify of its the same one or a new one, its a long shot but worth a try. Patience will prevail here, its all fixable with the right diagnostic info.

Comment

I'm going to ask what may seem like a dumb question, have you physically checked by tracing the positive and negative lines off the battery back to the frame and any other connections that they are correct? We are assuming that the dealer got the parity of the battery correct.

If the battery is hooked up backwards, it will discharge quickly.

Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                              I'm going to ask what may seem like a dumb question, have you physically checked by tracing the positive and negative lines off the battery back to the frame and any other connections that they are correct? We are assuming that the dealer got the parity of the battery correct.

If the battery is hooked up backwards, it will discharge quickly.
                              My dealer experiences have brought me to "assume nothing they say or do is correct"

Comment

Working...
                              X