Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardwiring Hughes Autoformer/Progressive Industries HW50C

Hi all,

Just wanted to get some feedback from everyone on the attached diagram. The long and short is I want to hardwire a Hughes Autoformer plus a PI HW50C inside the coach so this equipment is 100% out of view at all times. By my estimates this will require 2 additional 50a plugs + 4' of SOOW + whatever SOOW length is included on the Hughes Autoformer. It's an elementary diagram, but does anybody see an issue with this plan?

Thank you in advance!

Brian
    Attached Files

If you are hard wiring in the components, why all of the plugs???

Plugs create the possibility for loos connections, increased resistance, and can even work themselves loose over time leading to a no power issue.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

I agree about the plugs. Would it be possible to just hardwire into the Hughes and out?

I also thought that the Hughes Autoformer needed to be well ventilated, open air for cooling, maybe.

Another thought, If you are installing the Victron Multiplus 2 it has power assist that would use battery power to "fill in the gap" if the shore power is low.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

B380 I agree with Brian and Joseph, eliminate all of the plugs, they are just possible sources for heat and problems. If you are going with hard wired equipment, hard wire it.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I had a similar setup in my prior RV with the 50 amp Autoformer first and 50 amp surge protector second and transfer switch third. I agree that hardwire is good, but I used plugs and electrical tape and it worked fine. I did have air flow to both units. What is your planned install location?

Best,

Charles
          2021 Solitude 310 GK-R. 2020 F-250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

Comment

Jlawles2 Country Campers ncitro Thank you for the responses! My plan was plugs because the autoformer comes with a female output on one side and the male plug for the input on the other. In taking another look at my diagram, I could be able to cut off the male plug of the autoformer and wire that direct to the Furrian recep, but I am concerned about the female output end. I'll take a look at that when I get the unit. Assuming I do continue with a plug, I would hit it tape or zip ties to ensure it never came loose.

Country Campers In terms of the Power Assist, I thought about that, but my understanding is the PA is only on L1. We're on a 5 month trip, and as it starts to heat up over the summer I want the opportunity to run the A/Cs on the other leg if the shore voltage gets low. Not to mention other appliances that are on L2.

Crespro Thank you for the input. I can't find anybody that has a documented hardwire, or even plugs, so I'm glad to hear you've done it. In terms of installation location it will be behind a wall in the central passthrough of my 380FL.

Comment

I would assume (remember what assumptions are) based on the available hard wire kit for the Hughes that the plug end could be replaced with a chord.

If anyone has pictures of the inside or owns one and can safely take pictures, can they confirm how the female plug is connected?
              Joseph
              Tow
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

B380

The new Multiplus has 2 legs of 120 v ac power for 50 amp units so I would guess that it will "help" either leg. I am just learning this so there may be others with more info on this. WondersAwait , You are putting in a new Multiplus, Does it "help" either leg with the power assist or is this just for one leg?

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                  B380

The new Multiplus has 2 legs of 120 v ac power for 50 amp units so I would guess that it will "help" either leg. I am just learning this so there may be others with more info on this. WondersAwait , You are putting in a new Multiplus, Does it "help" either leg with the power assist or is this just for one leg?

Brian
                  I am indeed working on an install for my rig, I'll make a post about it soon. I'm very excited and want to share my journey.

The Multiplus 2 will invert both legs of power if wired properly but it will only provide Power Assist to one leg.
                  David and Deana
                  2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
                  2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

Country Campers -- the Multiplus' PA is not the same as the Autoformer's "boost" of voltage.

B380 -- keep in mind available POWER is still limited by voltage level at the pedestal and it's 50A breakers. Autoformer turns it into better power for your equipment but not more. On my phone...or I'd expound further...
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Country Campers Brian, according to the data sheet https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...-2x120V-EN.pdf it only power assist on L1. Also not that in invert mode, there is 0 VAC L1-L2 cos 240 VAC when in pass through mode.

If money were not an object, one could get creative and add a https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...nd-100A-EN.pdf which will provide true split phase power.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                      X