Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Conditioner stopped working after connecting to 20 amp

Hello,

We are on our first RV trip and learning a lot the hard way. You may have seen my post about our sagging underbelly yesterday.

Our middle AC of our momentum 397 TH is blowing only hot air. Two days ago we visited family and hooked up to their home 20mm outlet. Our trouble started there. The compressor does not seem to be turning on. My husband is the engineer and understands electricity, but I am the researcher, so here I am on this forum. My husband thinks we fried the capacitor. How do I know which capacitor to purchase and where do I find one? We are in Sayre OK and traveling to Albuquerque in the morning. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Tina

Originally posted by THolden View Post
    Hello,

We are on our first RV trip and learning a lot the hard way. You may have seen my post about our sagging underbelly yesterday.

Our middle AC of our momentum 397 TH is blowing only hot air. Two days ago we visited family and hooked up to their home 20mm outlet. Our trouble started there. The compressor does not seem to be turning on. My husband is the engineer and understands electricity, but I am the researcher, so here I am on this forum. My husband thinks we fried the capacitor. How do I know which capacitor to purchase and where do I find one? We are in Sayre OK and traveling to Albuquerque in the morning. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Tina
    We can try and help you, but we will need to know what make and model of AC unit you have. I would suspect it is a Coleman Mach of some point, if so parts should be available from any RV dealer on your route. I believe the Coleman only has one start capacitor in it, so it should be easy for a dealer to identify.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

We can try and help you, but we will need to know what make and model of AC unit you have. I would suspect it is a Coleman Mach of some point, if so parts should be available from any RV dealer on your route. I believe the Coleman only has one start capacitor in it, so it should be easy for a dealer to identify.
      Yes, it is a Coleman Mach. I can see that written on the unit.

Tina

Comment

So just recently i had our front AC do something similar. After I turned it off and waited a few minutes, I turned it back on and all was good. Almost like a contractor was stuck open.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          So just recently i had our front AC do something similar. After I turned it off and waited a few minutes, I turned it back on and all was good. Almost like a contractor was stuck open.
          Do you mean cut the power to it, like turn off the breaker?

Comment

No I literally turned it off at the thermostat, waited about 1-2 min and restarted. It then came back to life. You may be tripping the compressor on a 20A circuit. not enough to trip the breaker, but just enough voltage drop to cause the AC to do funny things.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by THolden View Post
              Hello,

Tina
              You may want to look into a soft start such as https://www.microair.net/ This reduces the initial amperage surge that prevent the compressor from starting on a lower amperage circuit. I had an issue with an overloaded Rv park 30 A service. Just a suggestion. I have one awaiting my gumption to get on the roof

Keith
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

You may want to look into a soft start such as https://www.microair.net/ This reduces the initial amperage surge that prevent the compressor from starting on a lower amperage circuit. I had an issue with an overloaded Rv park 30 A service. Just a suggestion. I have one awaiting my gumption to get on the roof

Keith
                If you have multiple units I think a softstart is a really good choice. A lot of State parks (in Texas) have just 30 amp service. Trying to start multiple units while using lights, fans, charging laptops/phones, watching TV is a big ask.

I recently installed MIcro-Air Easy start. It took less than 20 minutes for the install and about 40 minutes of "programming" (turning AC on for a couple minutes, then turning it off and waiting 5 to 10 minutes, then turning it on for a couple minutes.....doing that 5 times). Total time was just under an hour. Quick and easy.
                Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

If you have multiple units I think a softstart is a really good choice. A lot of State parks (in Texas) have just 30 amp service. Trying to start multiple units while using lights, fans, charging laptops/phones, watching TV is a big ask.

I recently installed MIcro-Air Easy start. It took less than 20 minutes for the install and about 40 minutes of "programming" (turning AC on for a couple minutes, then turning it off and waiting 5 to 10 minutes, then turning it on for a couple minutes.....doing that 5 times). Total time was just under an hour. Quick and easy.
                  Even with soft start devices, I think you are going to be pulling too much current trying to run multiple A/C units on a 30 amp circuit. Am I wrong?
                  2020 Reflection 273MK
                  2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post

Even with soft start devices, I think you are going to be pulling too much current trying to run multiple A/C units on a 30 amp circuit. Am I wrong?
                    Once started I think they pull around 12 amps. I could be wrong. The smaller units are a little less. I don't think you can run both AC's and a microwave with a 30 amp service.....
                    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Working...
                    X