GFI Switches All Dead, as is Microwave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFI Switches All Dead, as is Microwave

During a recent trip in our 2020 Imagine 2670MK, all of the GFI switches and the microwave all stopped working. We reset the GFCI in the bathroom with no change. The breaker had not been tripped but I turned it off and on again just in case and no change. I also looked at the fuse and it appears to be in good order. Any other thoughts on why these outlets are not working?

If its a 50a service unit my first guess would be to check the plug to see if both LED's are lit or verify that you have both legs of the 220v.
    Its also possible that the park you were at had a faulty power distribution box/receptacle or your power cord had an issue. You could also check the male end of the plug and look for evidence of arcing on one of the tabs. Issues like this are where an EMS (electrical management system) are handy to have.
    Last edited by familytruckster4; 06-16-2022, 08:00 AM.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by TonyKentucky View Post
      During a recent trip in our 2020 Imagine 2670MK, all of the GFI switches and the microwave all stopped working. We reset the GFCI in the bathroom with no change. The breaker had not been tripped but I turned it off and on again just in case and no change. I also looked at the fuse and it appears to be in good order. Any other thoughts on why these outlets are not working?
      Morning Tony, welcome to the forum! I looked at your floorplan, your microwave is in a slide out. There are plugs under the slide called Molex adapters that transition the solid Romex wire to flexible stranded cord used in the slide out. They should be just inside the frame near the slide out above the coroplast. These would be the first thing I would check. This thread has some photos of what you're looking for.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...lex-connectors
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thank you both for these comments. The unit is at our storage location, so it may be a couple of days before I can get back out there and look at the suggestions you both have made. The idea of an Electrical Management System makes a lot of sense and I hope to have one before our next trip. If any other thoughts come to mind, I'm happy to hear them!

Comment

familytruckster4, if there was an arcing issue, would it not also have affected all of the other electrics on the trailer? All other things work except for the GFI marked plugs (and microwave). Thanks.

Comment

Did you notice any other items not working. When I had issues, I lost everything in the slide, including the TV and Fireplace. Turned out the plug at the camper was not fully seated.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

No, just the GFCI outlets and microwave.

Comment

My thought was that one of the 110v legs may not have been making adequate contact creating a situation where part of the panel isnt energized. Since wiring varies a little even on similar models its hard to say what losing one leg would cause. The arcing is only a possibility but would have confirmed a connection issue. There are any number of issues with some park power centers. My thought is usually to confirm the park power and then work towards the trailer in my diagnosis. I like to verify the "cheap and easy" solutions first. As Neil points out, the connector for the slide is certainly a common failure point.
                2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

X2 on Neil's comment. Also, the microwave may be on it's own dedicated circuit. Recheck the breakers and make sure the microwave breaker hasn't tripped.

As for the GFCI, try using a proximity sensor (I really like these little pen shaped things) to see if you have power into the GFCI outlet. If power in but outlet dead then you know the outlet needs to be replaced. If no power in then it may be a bad breaker.
                  John
                  2018 Momentum 395M
                  2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                  Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

In my experience a GFCI circuit will trip (every time power is present) when there is a "leak" with the neutral. I would look at the connectors as Neil suggested. If that's not the issue others have good ideas of tracking down the offending issue.
                    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

If there is a receptacle next to the slide opening on the main wall of the RV you might want to check that power is getting thru it, I found this issue on our first trip out, we had no power to one of the slides and it was fed thru a receptacle on the main wall beside the slide opening.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

This same thing happened to me this past weekend. I traced it all the way back to the campground panel. Did you have a surge protector hooked up on your main power? Even though mine went through the checks and showed "good" I still had no power to the right side of my breaker panel which was GFCI, Microwave, and Refrigerator breakers. I removed the surge protector and plugged straight into the campground breaker for troubleshooting and everything worked. My second A/C unit also would not kick on.

Comment

Working...
                        X