No announcement yet.

Tapping 12V from the truck to charge Battle Borns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just catching up on the forum after a couple weeks of no internet access. That is sure nice work you're doing Howard.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

The wire loom worked out exactly as anticipated. Between the quality wiring and the extra protection provided by the loom the expectation is there won't be any chaffing/short issue.

Should someone want to see the entire installation, the ~6 min video below is a tour with a quick demo of the unit working. I forgot to include the D+ signal in the video--that comes from the truck's 7-pin connector's charge line.

This was a time-intensive installation. I'm glad it's (almost) done.

Note this is not a time-tested installation. This thread will be updated in ~6 months or so or as applicable.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Final installation post. Forgive the length--I have a few notes and lessons learned to document.

First, the final schematic (if anyone wants the actual parts list let me know):
        Click image for larger version

Name:	DC Charger Schematic.JPG
Views:	904
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	11278
        I knew the connection between the camper and the truck was going to be the greatest challenge (the Anderson connectors in the diagram above). I researched and talked with many vendors to see if there was a solution. No one had one specifically for this install so I'd have to figure it out myself.

Little did I realize how much of a challenge it was going to be! At the risk of shocking those who think I've got my act together, it was a comedy of errors on my part until I got it right.

1) I ordered only one Anderson SB120 connector. (I didn't realize they didn't come in pairs.)

2) I ordered a replacement pair from Amazon that caught my eye as they came with protective covers. They were not Andersons but looked the same and they came with "universal" 2-4ga pins. Needless to say they didn't work out very well. The pins were way too big (I soldered the wires initially so I could at least test how they went together. I used a LOT of solder to fill up those pins! No, I didn't leave it like that--keep reading.) Notice the Unchen does not have the groves in the front, either. That meant I could not use the Anderson panel mount I'd bought.

Name:	Nope SB120.JPG
Views:	753
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	11279

3. Not only were the pins too big for the 4ga wire I was using, but the crimper I had bought for the inverter project (which did a GREAT job on copper lugs) did nothing but punch a hole in the "Anderson" pin! I subsequently learned that the pin on an Anderson needs a different style crimper. Adios to another $89 for yet another tool.

Name:	Crimp Results.JPG
Views:	750
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	11280

4. The recommended crimper has numbers on a dial that clearly show the die to use (or so I thought). I was crimping a 4ga wire onto a 4ga pin, so set the tool at 4 and crimp--should be good, right? Nope. After a phone call to Powerwerk I found out a double crimp was required, one at 4 and one at 5, to secure the wire. Would have been nice to have a set of instructions with that information. About the only thing I did right (so far) in this process was order an extra couple pins...just in case. And sure enough I needed them!

Name:	SBCrimp.JPG
Views:	748
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	11281
        5. So when I had ordered yet another set of connectors and pins (from Powerwerk this time to ensure it was right!) I spotted environmental protection boots that looked great. I ordered them, too. Unfortunately they don't work with the panel mounts or the handle I'd already bought. (I have a bag of extra parts!)

Name:	mismatched parts.JPG
Views:	766
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	11282

I've max'd out the attachment limit on this post, so this is to be continued...
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

...final installation post continued from #48...

As mentioned previously I was going to install the Anderson with the panel mount and it was going to be near the license plate, opposite of the OEM 7-pin. Would have been a nice, clean installation. I opted to use the environmental boots instead and didn't just want to drill a hole in the truck so an alternate location was required.

Name:	Panel Mount.JPG
Views:	834
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	11285

The connection ended up threaded between the hitch and the truck bed body. There was a perfect spot just the right size. This location allowed me to make the length of the cable from the Renogy exactly the same length as the 7-pin cable from the camper.

Name:	Connector 1.JPG
Views:	754
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	11286

The bungee cord in the pictures below is an attempt to make sure the connectors stay together while towing. We'll see if this works.

The SOURCE side is zip-tied securely to the truck's hitch. It is very solid and won't go anywhere. The LOAD side cable, from the camper, as previously mentioned is secured with a bungee.

Name:	Truck Connection.JPG
Views:	757
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	11287

The only other post I'll add to this is a follow-up with performance data. All I've done so far is install the system. Hopefully soon I can actually get to use it!

Any questions, fire away.

-Howard

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post
            Anderson SB120 connector is a bit smaller than a 175A connector and can be fitted with their environment boot (Load/Source) for better protection against water getting into the contacts and wire connection.
            https://powerwerx.com/anderson-power...0&pageNumber=1
            I'm reading through my own thread and shoot--you told me about the environmental boots in this post early on and somehow during the process I completely forgot about it. Dang it--if I'd ordered from Powerwerk the first time I'd have saved myself a lot of rework. Thanks for trying, Gene! You'd think I'd know by now to read and comprehend when you take the time to post information for me. (sigh)
            Last edited by howson; 01-25-2020, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I'm reading through my own thread and shoot--you told me about the environmental boots in this post early on and somehow during the process I completely forgot about it. Dang it--if I'd ordered from Powerwerk the first time I'd have saved myself a lot of rework. Thanks for trying, Gene! You'd think I'd know by now to read and comprehend when you take the time to post information for me. (sigh)
              Howard,

You do better than I most of the time. I'm just quieter about my mistakes.

Anderson Power Products SB connectors - https://www.andersonpower.com/us/en.html are also color coded, only the same color connectors will mate together.
              Looks like the SB caps mate together to keep out dirt and debris while the connectors are in use.
              Gene and Kim
              2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
              2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Howard,
                Great info on the DCDC charger. I believe running your fridge from your battery bank and truck is no longer a challenge for you.
                For my needs I do not need a heavy cable from the truck but am concerned about over charging the battery via the 7 pin connector in cases that the battery is fully charged when leaving a campsite. I do not want to rely on the BMS for this task but would rather control the charge from the truck even though it would be small in my case. Is there a small DCDC charger out there that would handle the 5-10 amp charge from the truck and would stop the charge when the battery is topped off?

Jim

Comment

Guest -- on the road so I'll address your question in detail tonight. TucsonJim --any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                    Howard,
                    Great info on the DCDC charger. I believe running your fridge from your battery bank and truck is no longer a challenge for you.
                    For my needs I do not need a heavy cable from the truck but am concerned about over charging the battery via the 7 pin connector in cases that the battery is fully charged when leaving a campsite. I do not want to rely on the BMS for this task but would rather control the charge from the truck even though it would be small in my case. Is there a small DCDC charger out there that would handle the 5-10 amp charge from the truck and would stop the charge when the battery is topped off?

Jim
                    The Renogy is the only device I'm familiar with, Jim. The 20A version should serve your purpose well if your truck's 7-pin wiring can handle the load. Remember, though, that you'll need a "trigger" for the D+ signal if you go this route.

From their manual:

Name:	From Manual.JPG
Views:	699
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	11714

Comment

Howard,

Thank you for the advice. Wondering about the load on the truck since this device will draw slightly more than it puts out. I did write them to see what that draw may be at the 7 way connector. I'll need to check to see what the circuit on the truck is fused to.

I've also been traveling. Drove for the first time with the new neck and am now at my destination and sipping a little vino. Lol

Jim
                      Last edited by Guest; 01-30-2020, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Got to actually tow the camper today with this DC Charger setup for the very first time today. I do not like that I tied in the D+ signal to the truck's charger line. Every time I open the door to the truck it shut off the charger and with the distance from the driver's seat to the BMV-712 it is difficult to verify everything is working correctly. What I should have done is connect the D+ to the Battle Born batteries through an ON/OFF switch (with LED indicator) in the pass-thru. When I want to use the charger, turn on the D+ signal in the pass-thru prior to departure. Then pass power through the relay with the upfitter switch as wired (which works great, BTW).

Too many commitments at this point in the near future, so I'll just have to deal with it for now.

The good news? I ran the refrigerator (wasn't pre-cooled, so it was running at max amperage) from home to a truck stop and back. Trip was ~118 miles over ~4 hours including the stops(!) and when I got home the Battle Borns were at 100%. Awesome.

Comment

The good news? I ran the refrigerator (wasn't pre-cooled, so it was running at max amperage) from home to a truck stop and back. Trip was ~118 miles over ~4 hours including the stops(!) and when I got home the Battle Borns were at 100%. Awesome.
                          Hey, that's great news Howard! It sounds like you are very close to a perfect solution. You'll get it dialed in eventually :-)

Brian & Kellie
                          2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                          2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                          2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                          2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Got to actually tow the camper today with this DC Charger setup for the very first time today. I do not like that I tied in the D+ signal to the truck's charger line. Every time I open the door to the truck it shut off the charger and with the distance from the driver's seat to the BMV-712 it is difficult to verify everything is working correctly. What I should have done is connect the D+ to the Battle Born batteries through an ON/OFF switch (with LED indicator) in the pass-thru. When I want to use the charger, turn on the D+ signal in the pass-thru prior to departure. Then pass power through the relay with the upfitter switch as wired (which works great, BTW).

Too many commitments at this point in the near future, so I'll just have to deal with it for now.

Howard,

Not sure if you are running a monitoring camera off the back of the rig and if its powered through the marker lights. I'm thinking about powering the ignition input on the charger in this manner.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Howard,

Not sure if you are running a monitoring camera off the back of the rig and if its powered through the marker lights. I'm thinking about powering the ignition input on the charger in this manner.

Jim
                              Your note, and looking at the MICTUNING diagram, sparked an idea/thought. Why not just move the D+ signal wire (not shown in diagram below) from the Black, 12+ Auxiliary (where the D+ signal gets power now and is subject to all the issues I documented in post 56) to the Green, Running/Tail Lights post? I always run with my lights on. Gives me an easy way to remove the D+ signal if I want, too--just turn off my lights.

What do you think, Jim? Anyone have an opinion/thoughts?

Name:	Mictuning.JPG
Views:	985
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	13329

Comment

Howard,

From your post #56 I believe this is an aux circuit on your truck which is powering down when the door is opened or when the vehicle is shut down, etc. If your not liking this operation, you could NOT use this circuit, and connect your DCDC ignition circuit to the marker/running light circuit. This is what I'm planning to do.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X