Tapping 12V from the truck to charge Battle Borns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Curious question. As it is a starter relay is it rated for continuous operation?
    Not sure about the starter relay, but the name I'd say maybe not. The solenoid I bought is.

PAC PAC-200 200 Amp Relay Battery Isolator, standard https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CEBXRS...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

• Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Not sure about the starter relay, but the name I'd say maybe not. The solenoid I bought is.

PAC PAC-200 200 Amp Relay Battery Isolator, standard https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CEBXRS...ing=UTF8&psc=1
      Now That looks like a relay

Ill save it for a future project - I just need to be patient.SWMBO is watching.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Now That looks like a relay

Ill save it for a future project - I just need to be patient.SWMBO is watching.
        Understand completely lol. I’ll say the connection in the bed is nice. I took a set of jumper cables and cut one end off and put an Anderson connector on them. Have used them twice to jump start someone and it was super convenient. Also used them to power the winch on my car hauling trailer, and to power the pump I use to transfer water from my fresh water bag to the rig. Really useful place to have a high amperage connection.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Curious question. As it is a starter relay is it rated for continuous operation?
          Good question given the name. In the Q&A, that question was asked and someone answered that it was - not clear whether the responder actually knows or not. There was a review that said one failed in a week of continuous power. I noticed after you mentioned it that the 250 amp version of the relay is listed as continuous by the supplier. It was only a couple of dollars more and I would have purchased it had I noticed. The link is here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

Thanks for the reply.
          2018 Reflection 303rls
          MORryde IS, FlexArmor roof
          Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
          2017 Ford F350 CCSB SRW

Comment

• Quick question of the purpose of the relay. The relay allows the power to flow to the DC/DC charger and the relay is turned on/off by the upfitter switch correct? I will be doing a similar install this spring. If you had to do it again would you use the same size wire?

John

Originally posted by wygieman View Post

I noticed after you mentioned it that the 250 amp version of the relay is listed as continuous by the supplier. It was only a couple of dollars more and I would have purchased it had I noticed. The link is here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

Thanks for the reply.
            John & Beata, Waterford, WI
            2021 Reflection 337 RLS
            2017 Ford F350 Lariat, Diesel, Crew Cab, Demco 21K Recon 5th Wheel Hitch
            1200 watts solar, Multiplus II, 4 BB batteries, Orion DC/DC charger

Comment

• Originally posted by John L View Post
              Quick question of the purpose of the relay. The relay allows the power to flow to the DC/DC charger and the relay is turned on/off by the upfitter switch correct? I will be doing a similar install this spring. If you had to do it again would you use the same size wire?

John

Yes, you are correct. The purpose of the relay is to prevent the cables from being hot all the time. It allows you to turn the charging on and off as needed. The upfitter switch used is also not hot when the ignition is off to prevent you from accidentally discharging the trucks batteries when the truck isn’t running. I would use the same gauge wire again. It can certainly handle the current and the voltage drop is acceptable. Larger cables would definitely be harder to manage. I believe that some have used 6 AWG from the king pin to the charger but I am more comfortable using 4 AWG for the whole path.
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              MORryde IS, FlexArmor roof
              Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
              2017 Ford F350 CCSB SRW

Comment

• Originally posted by howson View Post

Your note, and looking at the MICTUNING diagram, sparked an idea/thought. Why not just move the D+ signal wire (not shown in diagram below) from the Black, 12+ Auxiliary (where the D+ signal gets power now and is subject to all the issues I documented in post 56) to the Green, Running/Tail Lights post? I always run with my lights on. Gives me an easy way to remove the D+ signal if I want, too--just turn off my lights.

What do you think, Jim? Anyone have an opinion/thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mictuning.JPG
Views:	985
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	13329
                howson where/what is that MICTUNING box? I've learned a LOT on this thread about the upfitter switches and the plug wiring but wondering is that a ford part on the TV, or a breakout box you added for this project?

Thanksl
                Jonathan

2121 Momentum 31G towed by 2017 Ford F-250 SuperDuty / Gale Banks

Comment

• Originally posted by jlackman View Post

howson where/what is that MICTUNING box? I've learned a LOT on this thread about the upfitter switches and the plug wiring but wondering is that a ford part on the TV, or a breakout box you added for this project?

Thanksl
                  Jonathan
                  Jonathan

Howard is out camping , wish we could be also , so I will answer this for him

The MICTUNING box is an item that you can find on Amazon with or without a pre-installed cord to the tow vehicle. I removed the metal factory box and bought the same box Howard used with out the cord. These are great and easy to wire.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

• Howard is traveling right now so I’ll try to help. I added the same box as he did. We both replaced the factory metal box full of wire nuts with this distribution box. Ona travel trailer it’s on the tongue, on a fifth wheel is in the pin box. Makes troubleshooting connection issues a ton easier.

Neil Citro

Comment

• Originally posted by jlackman View Post

Thanksl
                      Jonathan
                      Jonathan.

In the OEM configuration, the black wire is connected in parallel to the trailer battery so the charger will operate all the time as long as the battery plug and trailer harness is connected. Also some of us attach the trailer running/marker lights to D+ to have some control over the charger. The upfitter switch can also be set up to do this but it will require more wiring than just connecting to the trailer running/marker lights. At least in the daytime that is since it will run all the time with the TV lights on.

I have a Renogy 20amp unit where the black lead is solely attached to the input of the Renogy while the D+ is connected to the running/marker lights. My TV has been successfully operating the 20 amp Renogy from the 7 way connector. It is incapable of operating a higher output charger where the 30amp circuit on the TV is all it can handle. This setup also requires that the terminals on the trailer connector are kept clean.

Jim

Comment

• ncitro Country Campers howson I know exactly the factory metal box you're referring to; I thought it looked strange and out of place. I'll probably do the same thing. Very interesting thread. I've always wanted to research how those Ford upfitter switches work too, and I got schooled on that in this thread too. Thanks a lot! We're 5 weeks from our first trip out to the forest.
                        2121 Momentum 31G towed by 2017 Ford F-250 SuperDuty / Gale Banks

Comment

• I thought about converting my other trailer to a 7 pin rv blade connector like on the truck then buying a https://www.rvupgradestore.com/7-Way...5-12806-05.htm to connect it. Only thing holding me back is the cost of that coiled cord. The only thing holding me back is the cost of the cord. they want way too much money for such a simple thing.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

• Guess what I did at my first-ever boondocking location? Spent almost a full day showing the host the DC-DC charger setup on my truck & camper.

The host came out on day 2 and couldn't resist asking how I was managing without asking for electricity ("plug in" to his home's electrical circuits). He understood about the solar, but he couldn't believe I'd arrived with charged batteries--"everyone" he'd hosted had needed to charge batteries upon arrival. When I started showing him the DC-DC Charger setup, he was intensely interested and took copious notes (and has read this thread, though as he's not a GD owner can only "ghost" here). It was fun showing him the configuration and then we came up with a plan on how he can adapt it to his small Rockwood.

Bottom line: this mod is easily one of the top 10 I've done to my rig. Today is a classic example of why--it was foggy and overcast driving on I-10, but the Renogy DC-DC Charger had my batteries fully recharged (they started ~50% after a night and day of boondocking) by the time I got home. Awesome...
                            Last edited by howson; 03-15-2021, 03:30 PM.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

• X2 Howard. And not having two different battery types connected in parallel is also a big plus. The DC-DC is such a great addition which I was not thinking about adding (was going to cut the TV charge circuit) until I had seen your post.

Jim

Comment

• I'll be doing this DC-DC mod if I ever finish my solar upgrade.
                                Brian & Kellie
                                2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                                2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                                2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                                2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Working...
                                X