one Awning not operating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one Awning not operating

One of my Awnings will no longer respond to the Command Center switch.
    ...It's currently in the Retract mode, which I guess is better than the opposite ...except that it's sunny and 100 degrees outside.

I've checked the fuses and they're good still.
    ...We've had a lot of high wind, and operating it high winds was pretty herky-jerky

Some questions for you:

When you attempt to extend the awning, is there any movement at all of awning? Is there any noise (humming or clicking) from the awning motor.

Is there a secondary switch for the awning, and if yes, does the awning operate from this switch?

Is there power to the awning? The awning motors are on the 12-volt system, so you are looking for a blown fuse as well as any loose or broken wires. An electricity proximity sensor can help in this stage of trouble shooting.

Have you tried to manually extend the awning. Typically removing the end cap from the drive end of the awning will provide access to the motor shaft. Make sure there is no power to the motor before attempting this.
    John
    2018 Momentum 395M
    2018 Ram 3500 Dually
    Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Hello and thanks for responding...
      No, there is no movement, and no sound.
      I'm not aware of any secondary switch.
      The fuses look fine.
      I have not yet tried to extend manually, though I see where that is, and the Manual says I need a 7/16 socket ...Don't have that handy, but I can certainly go down to Ace Hardware

Comment

Recently had my awning not operate. No movement, either way, pushing its switch. Did a manual override to partly open. Awning would then fully extend. At fully retract it would not operate. Checked wiring in the arm, it's OK. Now I just operate it from less than complete retract until I can find the fully retracted fault.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

If the awning was attempting to unroll but the arms not moving, I would suspect that the arms were slightly twisted, or the arm bases had moved just enough to increase the friction in the arms to point where they need a little help to extend. I have this condition on the front arm of my front awning and just giving it a little tug when we extend it is the easiest solution so far.

That said, with the motor making no attempt to unroll the awing I would be looking for an electrical issue, loose wire or even a motor failure. TedS situation is baffling in that the motor operates but not when the awning is fully retracted.

Wish I could be more help, but that's about all I got other than wondering if the lights in the cabin dim when the awning switch is activated. Mine do when the motor lugs down when the awning is fully retracted. If this happens on extend, then I would suspect something is keeping the roller from rolling. A snag in the fabric or bad bearings. Of course, if you're more electrically inclined than I am you can measure the amp draw on the motor and see how that compares to the rating.
          John
          2018 Momentum 395M
          2018 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

JBill9694 is a puzzlement.
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

IceMan probably has already figured out that the next step is to determine if it is the Command Center, the awning motor, or the wire connecting the two. Remember that the Command Center is basically a fancy switch that still needs to be wired to what it is controlling. I would start by pulling the end cap off the awning to access the motor and then use a multi-meter or amp meter to determine if the Command Center switch is closing when trying to extend or retract the awning. If the answer is yes, then the problem is most likely in the awning motor.

If the answer is no, then the answer is either the wiring or the Command Center. Since the awning is the only thing that is not working, I would lean more towards the wiring than the Command Center. There are many circuit tracers available and many youtube videos on how to trace a circuit, so I won't go into details here.
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually

Comment

Thanks everyone for attempting to help. I received another suggestion on the other GD Forum to try holding down the switch in the Retract position for a long time -- I counted to 100. And of course, nothing happened because it was already fully retracted. But then, I let up and moved the switch to the Extend position -- and it starting working!
                ...I sort of think this solution is like "rebooting" your computer; when all of a sudden everything starts working correctly again!

Comment

Originally posted by IceMan View Post
                  Thanks everyone for attempting to help. I received another suggestion on the other GD Forum to try holding down the switch in the Retract position for a long time -- I counted to 100. And of course, nothing happened because it was already fully retracted. But then, I let up and moved the switch to the Extend position -- and it starting working!
                  ...I sort of think this solution is like "rebooting" your computer; when all of a sudden everything starts working correctly again!
                  Please fill out your signature line --what model-year GD?
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

So I have a 2021 395 and had this same problem. Holding down the button and then pushing extend again actually worked. Thanks for figuring out what was wrong with yours because it helped me out. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by mike_23us View Post
                      So I have a 2021 395 and had this same problem. Holding down the button and then pushing extend again actually worked. Thanks for figuring out what was wrong with yours because it helped me out. Thanks!
                      Glad you found the forum useful. Check out the Welcome Letter to New Members--it (hopefully) help you get the most from your time here. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                      X