Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (for us) 2022 395MS power issue

Hello Community!

We just took delivery of our new 395MS and it has been connected to shore power for several days. I noticed that the motor that moves the back bunk in toy hauler wasn't moving and a few hours of troubleshooting I realized our rig has no DC power at all. I'm not sure exactly what happened but its seems our inverter was not charging the battery and it (the battery) has died... like dead dead. The generator will not start now either (I assume it uses the batter to start.)

Anyway, I guess my question is two fold:
    - Is my understanding correct that if the battery dies the inverter will no longer provide DC power at all?
    - Since I likely need to replace the battery... can I just go Lithium?

I appreciate your patience with this RV newb

Thanks,
    Todd
    Todd & Steph
    2022 Momentum 395MS-R
    2018 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie Diesel

Hi bsonposh,

​​​​​​Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

First some basics . . . you have a converter (which is RV for "battery charger") that converts 120VAC shore power to 12VDC to charge the battery. You have an inverter which converts battery voltage to 120VAC to run some appliances.

The converter charges the battery through a switch in the pass through storage area. First thing to check is whether this switch is on. If your battery is completely killed, you may be right that it is destroyed . . . but if it is a reasonable quality deep cycle battery it might come back.

There is more to the question of matching chargers and voltages if you go to lithium batteries . . . that is a longer discussion. Check the switch first .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks Cate & Rob,

That is helpful to know there is another "thing" involved. I didn't know about the converter. Is it possible that the converter would not work if the battery is dead? I think I understand my current position but I am struggling to understand how I got here so I can avoid it in the future. I am not sure why the battery did not charge.

Thanks,
      Todd
      Todd & Steph
      2022 Momentum 395MS-R

Comment

Once you get the problem solved..........
        Quite often a battery can be brought back using a NOCO genius charger that also has a conditioning mode. I have several dual purpose starting/deep cycle batteries in my collection that were previously condemned as bad and I have brought them back to function using one of the small NOCO units.

I always carry a small charger with me as a backup in case the converter goes bad.
        2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Originally posted by bsonposh View Post
          Thanks Cate & Rob,

That is helpful to know there is another "thing" involved. I didn't know about the converter. Is it possible that the converter would not work if the battery is dead? I think I understand my current position but I am struggling to understand how I got here so I can avoid it in the future. I am not sure why the battery did not charge.

Thanks,
          Todd
          Todd. As Rob mentioned if the disconnect switch is not ON (red key is in and turned and can not be remover) the converter will not charge the battery when on shore poser. Also that disconnect switch does not disconnect the battery from everything when off, The safety devices (CO, propane detectors and some other items) are always powered and will kill a battery in short time. So for storage the best way is to remove a battery cable from a fully charged battery.

As for switching to lithium battery you may need to change your converter to properly charge one. Lithium batterys require different charging equipment and charge profile form flooded lead acid. Use the Search here to learn more. However check your converter first as it may have a lithium setting built in..

Last - do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it? If its not the disconnect switch you can double check the converter is actually working by checking the voltage output.

Hope this helps

Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thanks Keith,

I was able to resolve the overall problem by replacing the battery with a new one (lead/acid) and adding a smart battery shunt (to avoid this in the future.) I will move to Lithium in the future but for now we are attached to shore power almost 100% of the time. Once we start traveling and boondocking I will move to lithium. I am still unclear how the issue occurred but I did verify the battery cut off was "on" w/ means it should have been charging.

All in all... it was a good experience and learned a lot about what DC things will fail when the battery dies

Thanks,
            Todd
            Todd & Steph
            2022 Momentum 395MS-R

Comment

Being on shore power all of the time it is a good idea to check the battery electrolyte levels, distilled water is used to replenish, and be careful that is battery acid inside the battery and will eat just about anything if ti gets out of the battery.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Unfortunately internal battery faults that ruin the battery are not uncommon.
                2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Working...
                X