Victron Multiplus II 2x120v 3kva install Reflection 29RS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victron Multiplus II 2x120v 3kva install Reflection 29RS

So I have completed the "rabbit hole" and installed the Victron Multiplus II.

I started with 2 Lion Energy UT1300 batteries and this spring added 2 more, then I had the chance encounter with another owner and ended up with 2 more, total of 6 now. We initially were just going to use a stand alone inverter but after the cost of the "extra" items and not powering the whole rig I decided to go with the Multiplus with all of the added things that it does it just made sense. I used a extra power cord that I had, another story for another time, and cut it in half to go from the front storage to the power distribution panel as well as the Progressive Industries EMS. Power comes in the RV to the EMS then to the inverter then to the power distribution panel. Although the cord is a little heavy it was the "easy button" and worked very well. One issue with the new Multiplus is it is tall almost floor to ceiling in the front bay, I could have moved it up a little more but that thing is heavy and installing the cleat that it hangs on was done by measuring and I was not doing it again. The problem with it being so close to the floor is the bottom cover for the wiring is held on by 2 screws that are install from the bottom, pain in tookus to reinstall but a short screw driver does the trick. I also installed a board to protect the Multiplus from "stuff" that will be stored in front of it. There are 2 battery switches, Blue Sea 600 amp battery switches, one for the inverter and one for the main. A new style Lynx power distribution block, at some time there will be an update for it to show power flow and what the fuses are doing but that is not out yet. I did not realize this was like this until it came there is a circuit board inside it and hopefully an update will be along. I also installed the Cerbo GX and Touch 50 , this will be used to set the incoming power from shore connection so the Multiplus knows what power is available. To install the Touch 50 inside the RV I needed an HDMI and USB extension cables, coming this week, but I did have it all running in the front bay. 4/0 wire was used for all connections, 10 feet of red and black was enough with about a foot of each left over. I did get the VIctron MK3-USB interface to program the Multiplus, you can buy the Multiplus preprogrammed but I chose this route to learn, howson helped me with that and was very patient in teaching, there is still more to learn but it is working.

There is also an Easy Start on the ac which we did a test run and it worked well drawing 120 amps from the battery bank.

I used 1/4" x 1" copper bar to tie the batteries together in pairs then 4/0 wire to connect the pairs and pulled negative and positive off of opposite ends. This is what Lion Energ shows to connect batteries. I used the copper bar as I had some and it saved on crimps and wire, sorry I do not have a picture of that.

Not much to the install, I am not a very good documentarian when it comes to that I just work at the task and get it done with out thinking of taking a lot of pictures.

Here is the finish install.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220703_105229.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.9 KB ID:	89252

And the new Lynx Power Distribution with the circuit board
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220702_170514.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.2 KB ID:	89253

And of course with all of the important "stuff" placed

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220703_113243.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.7 KB ID:	89254

You can see the 2 different shelves because this was supposed to be just 4 batteries so I had to add another. Not much space left but it works and I did get rid of some stuff that was not needed.

Thanks to all who have done this type of install and posted here it helped a lot. If there are any questions please ask.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Brian
    Very well done.
    I see what looks like a touch 50 screen in the second photo above the Lynx. Did you mount it inside the trailer somewhere?
    Enjoy

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
      Brian
      Very well done.
      I see what looks like a touch 50 screen in the second photo above the Lynx. Did you mount it inside the trailer somewhere?
      Enjoy

Keith
      Yes, I had it temporarily mounted in the front bay then moved it here,
      Click image for larger version

Name:	panel.jpg
Views:	963
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	89264

Waiting on extension cables to wire it up so the display is not on now. I had to make a new wood panel to move the factory switch panel and the EMS display to make room for the Touch 50 display. Now with all of the talk about the See Level tank gage's I may have to make another wood panel, not sure that the tank level display will fit though.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Nice install Brian! You and I have extremely similar setups. I'm also running a Multiplus 2, lynx distributor, cerbo/touch 50, and UT1300s. It's been going well here and look forward to hearing how your setup works too. I have a ton of pictures of mine but just keep neglecting making time to post on here about my install process.
        David and Deana
        2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
        2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

I spent one weekend about 5 weeks ago upgrading to 4 batteries, then the other 2 came along and I had to almost start all over. It has taken quite a while but having a shop to work in I could just leave it, the mess that is, then return when I wanted but did work pretty steady at it about 2 weeks, evenings and weekends.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Yes, I had it temporarily mounted in the front bay then moved it here,

Name:	panel.jpg
Views:	963
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	89264

Waiting on extension cables to wire it up so the display is not on now. I had to make a new wood panel to move the factory switch panel and the EMS display to make room for the Touch 50 display. Now with all of the talk about the See Level tank gage's I may have to make another wood panel, not sure that the tank level display will fit though.

Brian
            Sure puts my install to shame. I like the location you chose.
            BTW I got my extension cables at Walmart if I remember correctly

Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Country Campers What I finally ended up doing was remove the cabinet door, and found some paneling that matched the shelf material. I boxed in the top cabinet so its only accessible from the other side, and gave me more room for displays. I had thought about getting a custom panel made and moving my switches as I do not use the stock tank display anymore but never did it. This photo is a while ago, I have added a few 12V switches and the Truma control (shh don't tell @howson's wife lol) since:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1819.JPG Views:	0 Size:	55.3 KB ID:	89274
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

hmph. Where's the "dislike" button on this forum? ncitro
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                  hmph. Where's the "dislike" button on this forum? ncitro
                  I will be accepting bribery at the rally to not bring it up.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Wanted to add a picture of the Touch 50 display since I got the extension cables and it actually works.
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	panel2.jpg Views:	48 Size:	58.4 KB ID:	89549

Moderator note: The SeeLevel vs Victron GX140 discussion (only reference to it is Brian's below--all the rest was moved from this thread to: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...on-gx140-setup -Howard

Now thanks to Jim , JRKJR I may be installing the SeeLevel system (just what I needed was another project and dropping the belly again).

Brian
                    Last edited by howson; 07-10-2022, 10:42 AM.
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Posting some screen shots of the VE-config. There was one that Howard, howson , mentioned would be a good question to ask the EE's about but I forget which one.

Name:	Screenshot (87).png
Views:	691
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	89743

Name:	Screenshot (88).png
Views:	703
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	89744

Name:	Screenshot (89).png
Views:	704
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	89745

Name:	Screenshot (90).png
Views:	685
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	89746

Name:	Screenshot (91).png
Views:	710
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	89747
                      This can also be used by others if installing a similar setup.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Update on system usage.

We are camping this week with full hook ups so this is a good time to test everything out.
                        Today I have turned off shore power at 8:45 am. There is an alarm that shows up on the Touch 50 and an annoying beeping that comes from the Cerbo GX in the front bay that alerts you to power failure at the shore power connection. I would guess that this alarm may sound as well if the "Power Assist" is needed as well but not sure. You can clear the alarm but it does keep a record of them in the "Notifications" setting on the Touch 50 as there was another alarm when I disconnected from shore power at home when leaving.
                        The travel day was good weather with plenty of sun and the solar panels, 400 watts, and the DC-DC charger charged the batteries from 95% to full charge while on the road. There was also usage from the 12 vdc fridge as well as the 120 v ac fridge in the outside storage/kitchen.
                        Today, with shore power off at the pedestal, the solar is making about 275 watts which is not too bad considering I do not have the panels tilted.

We will see how the day goes, it is suppose to get warm and the AC will be required sometime soon which will surely deplete the battery bank significantly. Cate&Rob , Rob told me "get the largest battery bank that you can afford", I went 2 batteries past that to 6 and wish that I could have 8, no room and no more $$$$, but there would need to be some way to charge all of that also.

I am currently researching the "watt hours", "amp hours", and other conversions to understand and try to calculate what kind of usage I could expect when we are really "off grid" dry camping.

Plenty more to learn and any and all input is invaluable.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers -- go to SETTINGS > SYSTEM SETUP > Monitor for Shore disconnect and change the setting to Disabled. No more alarm.

Name:	disabled.JPG
Views:	538
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	89758
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Country Campers -- this is why I had AES unselected (from the VictronConnect manual):

Name:	Screenshot_20220710-203010_Firefox.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	89841

Comment

Howard,
                              Can that setting be changed on the Touch 50 or only thru VE Direct cable?

Brian
                              Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X