No announcement yet.

WA's 303RLS Electrical Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As an aside, I had the same situation with the Dealer batteries - no discount for not taking them. I put them on Craigslist and they were gone within the hour... an extra $100 in my pocket.

Comment

In regards removing the command center and gaining access to the wire channel.

The small area behind the panel, if you go in from the cabinet side there are a couple screws that hold the panel on between the command center and the cabinet area. Remove the screws and remove the panel allows a lot more room to pull wires from the basement. I found this recently doing my setup and wish I found it earlier as it made it a lot easier to pull the wires. I second pulling an extra string as I did this on the previous mod and used the second string, and yes also pulled another string to leave in place.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

The small area behind the panel, if you go in from the cabinet side there are a couple screws that hold the panel on between the command center and the cabinet area. Remove the screws and remove the panel allows a lot more room to pull wires from the basement. I found this recently doing my setup and wish I found it earlier as it made it a lot easier to pull the wires. I second pulling an extra string as I did this on the previous mod and used the second string, and yes also pulled another string to leave in place.

Brian
        We’ll I’ll be! Great insight !
        Mark & Julie
        2021 GD 303RLS; GooseBox Hitch; towed by Ram 3500 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by WondersAwait View Post
          I'm working on the next phase. Adding 2x 200w Renogy panels in addition to the 165w Furrion. I am planning on connecting them all together in series and running off the Furrion 50a controller. Eventually I'll probably end up getting a few more panels and changing controllers to Victron so I can have them all interface, but I've thrown a lot at this new rig already. We have to save some thing to do down the road!

I got up on the roof and confirmed my layout. I have brackets all installed and getting ready to mount the new panels (probably tomorrow if I'm lucky). The 165w furrion panel I have uses the ridiculous furrion proprietary connectors coming through the roof flange, which is frustrating. As a solution I left the furrion flange and connectors in place, then just snipped the lines a few inches down and terminated some new MC4 connections into the line allowing me to use a common connector but the stock lines and roof flange. When I eventually add more panels I'll end up having to run new wires down and will change this flange out for a better combiner box but for now this will have to do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220813_144600.jpg
Views:	1150
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	92436
          David - is this what is inside that Jaboni port on the roof? Or did you remove it and add this port with the two MC4 connections ? Mark
          Mark & Julie

Comment

WondersAwait Country Campers

Many thanks for the insights and tips. I will give that a try!
            Ken & Sandra
            2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TheMcLellans View Post

David - is this what is inside that Jaboni port on the roof? Or did you remove it and add this port with the two MC4 connections ? Mark
              Mine did not have Jaboni parts. The left part of the above pic with all the self leveling sealant around it is a proprietary Furrion flange and connector. It's fine, but unfortunately the connectors don't work when everything else uses MC4. I cut the cables and added the MC4 connectors on the right/center of that above pic, so that I could wire my new panels in series with the one that came with the rig. Basically I just made my own conversion cable from Furrion-to-MC4.

I got my panels mounted yesterday and expect to get the wires all connected up in the next couple days. I'll add more pics when I am up on the roof to wire the panels.
              David and Deana
              2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
              2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

Does anyone know what GD puts inside the Jaboni termination on the roof of the solar prep? Are they bare wires? MC4 connectors? Any photos.?
                Mark & Julie

Comment

TheMcLellans -- bare wires are attached to the bottom of the Jaboni Solar Roof Gland (similar to the Furrion but with MC4 connectors). Pic below is the underside of the Furrion but it should give you an idea of what you'd find with the Jaboni.

Name:	Jaboni.JPG
Views:	449
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	92726

Howard
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Name:	565w panels.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	92762

Panels installed and wired in series. Testing will commence over the next few days.
                    David and Deana

Comment

Originally posted by TheMcLellans View Post
                      Does anyone know what GD puts inside the Jaboni termination on the roof of the solar prep? Are they bare wires? MC4 connectors? Any photos.?
                      On mine, the Jaboni port had MC4 connectors (sorry no pics). Easy enough to check... just pop off the rear facing cover plate of the Jaboni.
                      Ken & Sandra
                      2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

WondersAwait, very nicely done, especially for your first one! I did 3 trailers before I did the one I loved.

My question is a little off topic, but can you tell me how you did your diagram of the system? I would love to do a nice diagram of mine. I suspect it's maybe an app?
                        Paul and Deb Cervone
                        2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                        2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
                        2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Paul & Deb View Post
                          WondersAwait, very nicely done, especially for your first one! I did 3 trailers before I did the one I loved.

My question is a little off topic, but can you tell me how you did your diagram of the system? I would love to do a nice diagram of mine. I suspect it's maybe an app?
                          Thanks! Schematic was done on Digikey.com in a web browser.
                          David and Deana

Comment

Originally posted by WondersAwait View Post
                            Testing will commence over the next few days.
                            Early testing looks good. I have it parked out in the sun this afternoon and with about 10-15 amps of draw on the system I am at a net positive 20-23a with direct sunlight. Since my system should theoretically max out with 40amps (565w/14v=40a) I think I would call 35-ish from the panels a big success out of the gate; fingers crossed this continues as planned.
                            David and Deana

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Brian
                              Just to confirm Brian's feedback, I was working behind the control panel again over the past couple days and pulled the panel down instead of pulling the control center down and this was 100x easier. Great tip Brian. Pic below of the access given when removing the panel. FYI for mine there were 2 screws going into the back wall holding the panel in, but also about 12 small staples going through the panel around the edge. I had to give the panel a bit of force to pull the staples out. I completely removed all the staples and reinstalled with only the 2 screws holding it in and it's plenty stable enough to not go anywhere but give easy future access when needed.

Name:	20220912_190408.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	94699
                              David and Deana

Comment

Glad to pass this on. I wish I would have found this about 3 or 4 projects ago but better late than never.

Brian
                                Brian & Michelle
                                2018 Reflection 29RS
                                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                                X