Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Negative Bus Bar - Recommendation Please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Negative Bus Bar - Recommendation Please?

All,

I am running out of room on the load side of my Smart Shunt and now that I want to add an inverter, I need to expand. Does anyone have a suggestion for a small bus bar to add? Dont need anything fancy, will only have a couple of connections.

Thanks
    Al
    Al and Diane

2022 28BH - (6) Chins 100AH, MultiPlus 2, (2) 100/30CC, 1.4KW solar
    RAM 2019 2500 Cummins crew cab short bed
    PullRite SuperGlide

This is similar to the one I used to separate all of the grounds below the breakers in the front storage https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...94649602&psc=1

If you remove a little foam you will find that the group of white ground wires are connected with a wire nut. I did not like that so I Installed the ground buss and separated the wires.

When going to the inverter you wi want one that will handle the higher amperage for that.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Blue Seas stuff is all marine grade, so the buss bar that Country Campers Brian linked (or any similar Blue Seas one) would do the job. The simplest and most compact ground connection is a single ground stud. I used a stainless steel carriage bolt through the wall. Secure the stud to the wall with a large washer and nut and then secure the ground wires between this nut and another nylock nut. I have had this assembly in place for years with no issues.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0578.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	91045
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Here's a photo and a link to the buss bars I use. You can order them with red or black insulated covers to protect your connections. $24 each.

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B07BH3...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Name:	Buss Bars.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	91050

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	91051
        Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks guys. Nice to see some options and how you have handled your cable management.

Brian, I did find all of the white grounds behind the battery, the only difference is that for 2022 appears they moved to a Wago connector rather than the wire nuts. Overall same idea and prime for a clean up.

Thanks, Al
          Al and Diane

PullRite SuperGlide

Comment

Originally posted by allenrude View Post
            All,

I am running out of room on the load side of my Smart Shunt and now that I want to add an inverter, I need to expand. Does anyone have a suggestion for a small bus bar to add? Dont need anything fancy, will only have a couple of connections.

Thanks
            Al
            Depends on the amperage you will be running through the busbar. I used Victron Lynx Distributor for my inverter, solar charge controllers and 12V main system. They handle up to 1000 amps.

Most smaller busbars handle just 150 amps. This won't work for me because the inverter alone has a 300 amp fuse. You probably need at least 600 amp busbar. Make sure you size it properly....

Edit...come to think of it I do have a large negative busbar that I use for all my other busbars and distribution panel. It's the Blue Sea Powerbar 600amp 4 stud (part number 2104).
            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

I also used the Blue Sea 600A bar. I've used the one ones Jim linked downstream when there's less current.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

A fairly easy option I used to use at work is just to get copper bar stock and make your own. Bolts can be sized to fit lugs so you can connect big cables and little wires to the same bus.
                John & Kathy
                2014 Reflection 303RLS
                2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Thanks guys. Got what I was looking for, all go recommendations.

Thanks
                  Al
                  Al and Diane

PullRite SuperGlide

Comment

Working...
                  X