Inverter Pre-Wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter Pre-Wire

Is anyone familiar with the pre-wire job Grand Design did for inverters? As I understand it, they split the breaker panel into two halves, and use the two 30 amp breakers to connect the halves, with a wire that runs upto the nose and back. I as wondering if there are away to re-connect the halves at the panel, which would free up the two breakers (and the wire loop) for other uses. I haven't really look inside the box yet to see what's going on, but it seems like you would just need to bridge the two sides.

Thoughts?

-Mike-
    2022 Reflection 31 MB w/ Goose Box
    2021 Chevy 2500HD

mallstott Yes thats exactly what we did for the install for WondersAwait. We ran a #10 wire from the out 30A breaker to the in 30A breaker, and a white #10 (cut both of these out of the orange romex) from one neutral bar to the other. Piece of cake.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
      mallstott Yes thats exactly what we did for the install for WondersAwait. We ran a #10 wire from the out 30A breaker to the in 30A breaker, and a white #10 (cut both of these out of the orange romex) from one neutral bar to the other. Piece of cake.
      Wow, what a nice build! Similar to where I'll end up, but not getting an inverter yet. Did you have to drop the belly to run the main electrical wires? Wasn't sure how to get the big 50 amp wires up to the nose.

You even pulled the factory breakers? Looks like you extended the wires to run through that Blue Sea fuse box, Correct?

-Mike-
      2021 Chevy 2500HD

Comment

Thanks.

We did drop the coroplast to run the 6/4 from the front bay to the passthrough, but it didn't require completely dropping it; just pulling a few of the bolts on the passenger side front of the underbelly. The wire from the shore plug goes directly into a hardwired EMS, then we ran a new 6/4 line from that (EMS was in the basement/passthrough behind the wall where you can access the plumbing/electrical) down to the underbelly and to the front bay and into the Multiplus II, then from the MP2 AC output another 6/4 line back to the AC breaker panel.

Then as Neil said we just bridged the "inverter prep" split in the breaker panel via the romex that was there.

For the DC wires going to the new Blue Sea DC sub panel in the front bay, most of them had enough length once you broke away the black foam insulation blocking the hole into the underbelly. Rip that foam out and you can pull tons of slack in the wires to get them where you want them. I think only one was not long enough and I had to splice in an extension. Then put some new marine grade Great Stuff foam into the front bay/underbelly openings to seal it back up once done.
        David and Deana
        2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
        2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

WondersAwait What is the small breaker before the Blue Sea sub panel? Leveler's maybe?

Mine is a mess right now, I realized that the grounding bus was way to big and I didn't like some of the placement I started with. I'm going to take all of this down and line it up right. I like the idea of putting some plywood back there. I also hadn't considered replacing the factory breaker strip.... going to do more thinking before I start over again. I have a month before the next trip.... so plenty of time. Still leaving space to the left for a MPII, but it may be a while before that happens.
          2021 Chevy 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by mallstott View Post
            WondersAwait What is the small breaker before the Blue Sea sub panel? Leveler's maybe?
            Spot on, it's the levelers. It had a 50a breaker on the levelers for the stock wiring and my Bluesea Panel only went up to 30a, so I put one of those 50a breakers for the levelers and the power continues around for the rest of the DC sub panel.
            David and Deana
            2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
            2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by WondersAwait View Post

Spot on, it's the levelers. It had a 50a breaker on the levelers for the stock wiring and my Bluesea Panel only went up to 30a, so I put one of those 50a breakers for the levelers and the power continues around for the rest of the DC sub panel.
              My current thought (subject to change) is to add a lynx power in (with fuses) and anything that needs 50 or more amps goes to one of the lynx bars. That gives me 8 high capacity connections which should be more then I need no matter what I come up with next. Well, 9 if you count the ends...

-Mike-
              2021 Chevy 2500HD

Comment

mallstott Yeah the Blue Sea fuse panel is great, I added one to mine to clean it up as well, I found over time I had added quite a few DC circuits and it was getting quite messy. Really easy way to clean them up.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                X