Victron Inverter and Battle Born Batteries in a 315RLTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victron Inverter and Battle Born Batteries in a 315RLTS

Inspired by TucsonJim 's recent upgrade and questions about sub-panels, I updated a document authored earlier this year with current information about my electrical project. There is a lot that is not covered in the PDF so if you have any questions fire away.

Note that the info from the overload thread is also incorporated in the attached PDF. The other thread is here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...er-overloading

Updated as of 5 Jul 2020. The PDF (from a Powerpoint Presentation) now includes more of the upgrades incorporated in the trailer:
    Electrical Project Presentation v7 reduced size.pdf
    Attached Files
    Last edited by howson; 12-02-2020, 08:43 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Are you able to change the max input current from shore power or remotely turn the inverter off or on with the CCGX?

The reason I ask is when using Victron batteries and BMS the ability to control shore current and remotely turn the inverter off and on is disabled in the CCGX. Meaning you need both the CCGX and MultiControl for full functionality.

I first installed our system with just the CCGX. The first time I wanted to change the shore power input current I learned the functionality was disabled when using Victron’s BMS. Called AM Solar and learned I would need the MultiControl to change input limits or remotely turn the inverter off or on.
    Last edited by colan; 12-14-2019, 12:19 PM.
    Colan Arnold
    2016 Momentum 397TH
    Full time since 2016

Comment

Originally posted by colan View Post
      Are you able to change the max input current from shore power or remotely turn the inverter off or on with the CCGX?

...the ability to control shore current and remotely turn the inverter off and on is disabled in the CCGX. Meaning you need both the CCGX and MultiControl for full functionality.
      Hmmm...I'm not sure about remotely turning the inverter on and off. I haven't needed to do that. By "remotely" do you mean through the CCGX interface or over the internet?

When you write "ability to control shore current" are you referencing adjusting how much the Victron should expect from the shore pedestal based on the pedestal's capability? It's easy on the CCGX to change from 30 to 50 and vice versa.

Not everything AMSolar told me was correct--depended on who I spoke with. If it's Garrett or Mitchell the info I got was spot on--especially Mitchell.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

By controlling shore current, I meant limit the maximum input amperage. Example I set the input maximum to around 10
        amps when we are mooch-docking at a friends place. Letting the batteries and solar handle the rest.

By remotely controlling the inverter meant being able to turn it on or off from inside the coach rather than needing to access to physical switch on the front of the inverter. Since I’m using Victron batteries and BMS this functionality and controlling shore current is disabled in CCGX. If you try to do either from the CCGX it tells you no can do with Victron’s BMS active.
        Colan Arnold
        2016 Momentum 397TH
        Full time since 2016

Comment

By controlling shore current, I meant limit the maximum input amperage. Example I set the input maximum to around 10
          amps when we are mooch-docking at a friends place. Letting the batteries and solar handle the rest.

By remotely controlling the inverter meant being able to turn it on or off from inside the coach rather than needing to access to physical switch on the front of the inverter. Since I’m using Victron batteries and BMS this functionality and controlling shore current is disabled in CCGX. If you try to do either from the CCGX it tells you no can do with Victron’s BMS active.
          Ah--the battery setup (and BMS) is the difference. I have Battle Borns with their internal BMS so nothing in the CCGX is disabled. I can control the amperage input from the shore power with no problem, I've done it many times. Never tried to turn the inverter on or off from it. I didn't even know I could do that. I will have to figure that out.

Comment

I'm sure you believe me, but since I didn't know about the switch part I went out and played with the CCGX. Here's the video showing how mine works:

Comment

This video by All About RVs is my setup (almost) exactly! What's fantastic is that AMSolar now sells the Smart Phase Selector as a separate component. Back when they called it the "SmartATS" the only way to buy it was in a kit.

Comment

Working...
              X