WEFCO converter reliability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WEFCO converter reliability

While chasing other electrical gremlins I have discovered my WEFCO AD(auto detect) converter is not charging. The solar charging has been running since May & the rig has been off grid. I've checked the state of charge, blue tooth lithium & rarely have they dipped below 80%.

We have needed AC the last couple of weeks, I learned the 4500w Cummings Onan will not run 2ea AC units. The dealer said it would, I suggested they do some math. I now have a 7000w Honda that easily starts up the AC units, quietly with good reserve power.

When running the Honda enjoying the AC I checked the batteries thinking they would be 100%. Very little charge going into them, from the Jaboni Solar panel & controller.

I had the WEFCO 2000w inverter on @ the same time, which should be OK. To be sure things were not related I shut down the inverter & AC units. With Honda still running the charge was coming from the Solar system only. Any other AC units such as the microwave worked as they should. The batteries were low & when I increased the house 12v load the batteries further discharged. No power from the converter.

It seems that the converter has failed, I know it did work in May when I took delivery. The solar system was not working(improper roof connection) so the converter had to charge the dead battery when I arrived home after picking up the new rig.

I've another thread started about the stove & related GF plugs n/w. I do not believe these issue's are related to one another.

I'm curious on this brand WEFCO & reliability, it was unknown to me until taking ownership of the Grand Design. Any experience with the brand & should I be suspicious.

Trying to avoid remove the false wall I'm just being a baby & need to suck it up Ha!
    2022 Solitude 310 GK, Solar Package, Awnings, Outdoor Kitchen, Dual AC & Heat Pump
    2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box
    2ea 200ah lithium BT heated

I personally do not think they are the best out there,but that said failures are generally rare. I'd pull the false wall and have a look. If it's deck mounted stand alone then there will be two reverse polarity fuses on the back that might be tripped.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Dale B -- not unheard of for a WFCO to fail. By any chance is the battery disconnect key accidentally set to "off" (key can be removed)? Should affect more than just the converter if this was the case...but worth double-checking.

Once you do remove that false wall and find the exact model number for the converter, WFCO has troubleshooting guides here: https://wfcoelectronics.com/trouble-shooting-charts/

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Don't forget to check the breakers to ensure that power is getting to the converter. If you do open the wall, again verify power to the converter.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

@ncitro @howson my very last single brain cell is starting to hurt. Today I contacted a local RV mobile guy & asked if he would give me hand to further troubleshoot my electrical woes. I wanted someone familiar with RV's, taking stuff apart & were certain things may or may not be. My real job has me running this time of year & don't have time to figure out the mind set of laying out hidden electrical agenda's. This individual said he would be a couple of days & showed up due to other issues' today.

We were quick to sync in troubleshooting technical process & he made it clear he was not familiar with lithium. I don't know the in & outs of RV's so it was awesome, so away we went.

He wanted to discharge & get a load on the batteries, shut down the solar & watch the converter after a discharge period. I turned on the inverter, switch the fridge to AC for an approx. 50ah load. The converter is off, I'm watching this on the battery Bluetooth app....kinda cool.

The batteries are in the 80-85% range, 2ea 200ah in parallel. Voltage with no converter 13.1-13.2vdc.

Lite the converter with a small incremental voltage, 13.2-13-3vdc. Turn off the fridge load & no real change, the batteries are not charging

Looking like a non AD(auto detect) converter.
          2022 Solitude 310 GK, Solar Package, Awnings, Outdoor Kitchen, Dual AC & Heat Pump
          2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box

Comment

Dale B I would agree. What makes you sure it's the auto detect? Did you verify the model number?

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
              Dale B I would agree. What makes you sure it's the auto detect? Did you verify the model number?
              The converter is a WF-9855 which is available, this is the one in the rig & I have a photo. The one in GD spec's & on my sheet from GD is a WF-9855-AD. I'm assuming mine with "no" -AD is the base model with no auto detect feature.

Specs are on WFCO website for Auto Detect converter as well as their marketing for AD system. They claim you simply connect any battery & the converter chooses the correct profile. For Lithium it is 13.6-14.6vdc, others such AGM 13.2-14.4vdc.

I spoke with my dealer, my god why do I even try At first they wanted to charge me for the upgrade, then they were trying to figure out if it is the salesman fault. Possibly I've them understanding GD installed the wrong converter, GD spec'd the AD in the build........will find out someday

https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...erterCat-1.pdf
              Last edited by Dale B; 08-03-2022, 06:26 AM.
              2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box

Comment

Dale B -- yep, you do not have the auto-detect version of the converter based on the info you posted. Feel free to take a pic of the unit and post it here if you'd like someone else to double-check.

Isn't RV ownership great?

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                  Dale B -- yep, you do not have the auto-detect version of the converter based on the info you posted. Feel free to take a pic of the unit and post it here if you'd like someone else to double-check.

Isn't RV ownership great?
                  Living the dream owning & RV. I try & keep my expectation's low to avoid frustration.

2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box

Comment

Dale B -- definitely not the auto detect version.

Consider an alternative to the WFCO if you're going to upgrade (they are sufficient but IMHO there are better alternatives).

TucsonJim has had good success with a Progressive Dynamics charger, and ncitro (I think) also has had a separate charger for lithium (before he went with a Victron Multiplus). They'll be along with inputs (along with others here with similar experience). Only "gotcha" is if you intend to use the OEM wiring (swap in place) whatever is purchased cannot exceed the capability of the wires in place.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                      Dale B -- definitely not the auto detect version.

Consider an alternative to the WFCO if you're going to upgrade (they are sufficient but IMHO there are better alternatives).

TucsonJim has had good success with a Progressive Dynamics charger, and ncitro (I think) also has had a separate charger for lithium (before he went with a Victron Multiplus). They'll be along with inputs (along with others here with similar experience). Only "gotcha" is if you intend to use the OEM wiring (swap in place) whatever is purchased cannot exceed the capability of the wires in place.
                      In the future my plan is to upgrade the complete solar package. For now I want it to work as it should so we can adapt to the new rig & decide the size of system. It's worked so well I did not even notice the converter was a problem until now.

I've had very good success with Bogart Engineering & Magnum in my previous solar project. Excellent support & working a described.

We have Journey planned to Whitehorse, YT next June & I need to debug as much as I can this season. This is a very rural remote trip where you fill up whenever a fuel stop appears. No calling a tow truck for help & it maybe a long while before some drives by
                      2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box

Comment

Dale B Howard tagged you but there is a great converter discussion going on here:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...acement-basics

Neil Citro

Comment

I've been in contact with GD & they are sending out the correct version. I'm very curious now if it will work as describe

Tx's for the comments, this forum is excellent resource!
                          2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box

Comment

GD did send out the correct converter with the -AD Auto Detect feature. I just installed it. The batteries were @ 90% & accepting charge from the small solar system. As soon as I fired the Honda the charge current to the batteries doubled. Batteries are @ 95% & the WFCO is still adding to the charge.....sweeet!

I did nothing other than install it & plug it in, no switches, buttons or programming. Plug & play.
                            2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box

Comment

The plot thickens Yes the -AD is working, however not producing the 50ah charge current. The converter defaults to LA & AGM charge profile, to auto detect lithium you need to start from a fully discharged lithium battery. Inside the converter are three LED's indicating which charge profile & a high load charge current.

Some of these converters like mine are mounted in a very unfriendly location, so viewing the LED's isn't so easy. I'm told if I do a charge cycle from a discharged Lithium I don't need to see the LED's & do the recommended procedure......shown in their video. The converter will Auto Detect & switch profiles.

Honestly I would rather enter a charge profile or press a button or two. Auto Detect is bogus, not a game changer as advertised.

I'm going to disconnect one of two 200ah batteries & do this, no choice. Will follow up the process & post.
                              2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box

Comment

Working...
                              X