No announcement yet.

WEFCO converter reliability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depending on your battery brand some will take 100 amps of charging power, you can take advantage of this with a larger charger/converter, this is what I used until I went with the Multiplus 2 , Amazon.com: PowerMax PM3-100 110V to 12V DV Power Supply Converter Charger for RV 100 Amp : Automotive

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

For what its worth, I installed the WF-8950-L2 lithium only converter on my trailer when I upgraded to 2 Battleborn 100ah lithium batteries. Different setup; however, sometimes when I kick on the generator the converter only charges at 5 amps or so even though the batteries are definitely below 60%. To fix this problem I flip the converter breaker off and then back on and the converter starts putting out 25-30 amps like its suppose to. So try flipping the converter breaker off/on next time to see if this gets your converter to "reset" and put out more amps.

Not saying this is a good solution, just a possible "fix". Not happy I have to do that on my setup, but for now that seems to work and is good enough for my purposes.​
      Dan M.
      2022 Momentum 23G
      2019 F250 6.7L

Comment

Originally posted by 74barrio View Post
        For what its worth, I installed the WF-8950-L2 lithium only converter on my trailer when I upgraded to 2 Battleborn 100ah lithium batteries. Different setup; however, sometimes when I kick on the generator the converter only charges at 5 amps or so even though the batteries are definitely below 60%. To fix this problem I flip the converter breaker off and then back on and the converter starts putting out 25-30 amps like its suppose to. So try flipping the converter breaker off/on next time to see if this gets your converter to "reset" and put out more amps.

Not saying this is a good solution, just a possible "fix". Not happy I have to do that on my setup, but for now that seems to work and is good enough for my purposes.​
        I tried that, only because WFCO states high current will only last one or four hours. Hadn't been charging that long, only a few minutes & just wanted to try. There was something I did do to cause a high charge, this is my comment from another forum.

Here is what I did yesterday & wonder if I did the same thing, I did this for a different reason. I turned every light on & the inverter with electric kettle, my meter was connected across the batteries & I remember seeing 12.8vdc.

My inverter start a low voltage warning @ 12.5vdc, my battery voltage did not agree. I do have have a .3-.4 drop @ the inverter so the alarm trigger voltage is correct. So the battery @ 12.8 drops to 12.5 @ the inverter & the beep begins.

For giggles I fired the Honda with the load on & the WFCO went to full current output, it continued to a complete charge. I've no idea how or why that happened as the WFCO is in green mode meaning default AGM LA charge cycle.

I will also add the Jaboni solar was connected & very little contribution. The sun angle is far to low with for a flat panel
        2022 Solitude 310 GK, Solar Package, Awnings, Outdoor Kitchen, Dual AC & Heat Pump
        2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box
        2ea 200ah lithium BT heated

Comment

I did call WFCO as they had "not" responded to my follow email string. The first response was that they have never heard of converter reverting back to green after switching to blue, they have had green revert to blue. They tried explaining the process the converter uses, I didn't follow it as I do not want this auto detect converter style.

My offering was to return it, pay any difference in upgrade to a higher capacity & a user program lithium converter. There offer was to do a software update no charge, no upgrades, when I asked who pays shipping I was transferred to wtty dept. Shipping from Canada & back is expensive & probably near the value of the converter. Funny thing the wtty dept did not answer the phone, I left a message & have not heard back.

The kicker to this is all of there converters are now "auto detect" no user programable. Already they have a software upgrade & my mine is only a few months old. If I remove this converter I will not reinstall the same, first reason is the AD is not a favorite & the second is I would like 100ah capacity.

My rig will be going into storage within a couple of weeks, I'm not sure what we need or want from our off grid system. Re configuring for a 100ah converter is a bit of retrofit especially fi I don't have an end game plan.

It's difficult for me to imagine how the average RV user is making this factory solar package work especially if going to Lithium batteries. Maybe it is just the lack of knowledge from my dealer, leaving it to the end user to figure it out. I've kept my dealer expectations low from my previous 10 year RV life.

I've decided to once again fully discharge 1ea lithium battery, there are two charge cycle processes to follow. I will try the other one this time. Then hopefully I can store this rig away with most of the gremlin's resolved & pick up next season.
          2022 Solitude 310 GK, Solar Package, Awnings, Outdoor Kitchen, Dual AC & Heat Pump
          2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box

Comment

Dale B -- super disappointing the WFCO isn't "foolproof". For what it's worth, I think determining the end state desired for your system is a wise course of action before plunging into any further upgrades.

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

If you choose to replace the converter yourself, try https://www.progressivedyn.com/power-converters-2/ as that is what was factory installed in our trailer. They do make a dedicated lithium charger.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Here is some good reading in how the Progressive Dynamics lithium models operate.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/wp-co...ge-lithium.pdf

Jim
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                  I think determining the end state desired for your system is a wise course of action before plunging into any further upgrades.

Howard
                  Definitely follow Howards advice here. Otherwise you will likely find yourself spending more money than you should have.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                  Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                    If you choose to replace the converter yourself, try https://www.progressivedyn.com/power-converters-2/ as that is what was factory installed in our trailer. They do make a dedicated lithium charger.
                    We have the same model and year of trailer and we have a WFCO 9855. Is your PD lithium capable by any chance?

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy Unfortunately the installed converter is not Li Compatible. Ours was built in April IIRC. Could have been supply chain issues or just a change in vendor due to cost or issues.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Converter-More.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	96345
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Once again the -AD is in lithium mode. I followed the first set of instructions that is in video form, the printed material makes no mention. Come on WFCO! The first time I flattened one battery & let it go thru a complete charge cycle.

This time I flattened the battery, the internal battery BMS Bluetooth will still report....cool. Fire the Honda with a clamp on current meter & multimeter all monitoring the converter output, the LED is green indicating AGM or default charge status. After a short period of time the converter goes into hi current, 45ah showing on the clamp on & 14vdc output of the converter. At this point you are suppose to have the cover off the converter & you should see a red LED plus the green. My converter is not mounted in a friendly location, I can barely see thru the opening a faint red glimmer.

Now you are suppose to power down the inverter & wait for the Blue LED. It worked as the video indicated & the Blue LED is on. Power the inverter back up & within a short period of time I can barely see the red LED indicating hi current.

I let it go thru the charge cycle & it maintained hi current until the last few percent of the charge cycle. The blue LED is still on today, I let the batteries discharge with a few extra draws on last evening. Fired the Honda & the AD converter is working as described.

As much as I want to crush this converter it could serve a useful purpose. Occasionally we are travelling off the grid with only the 2000w Honda, this time of year in the mountains sunlight is limited. The small Honda will run most everything we need & the smaller converter can charge the batteries.

Nothing friendly about this Auto Detect converter, WFCO thinks its a game changer 🤣 Who in their right mind would go thru this process vs pushing a couple of buttons or installing a jumper........maybe flicking a switch?
                        2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box

Comment

Dale B -- thanks for the report, even though it is quite discouraging.
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Dale B Your hard work and frustration is helping others and is much appreciated. Nice detailed post.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Dale B View Post
                              As much as I want to crush this converter

Ah...the things that don't kill us make us stronger....

or

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Too bad the AD "ain't so great" but thanks for posting up your review.

Comment

Working...
                              X