No announcement yet.

Converter Replacement Basics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone added ventilation between the pass-through and the forward compartment when you moved the converter? According to Progressive, the operating range for their converter is 0-50C, so I’m guessing that’s why the manufacturer put the converter in a space that’s (pretty much) climate controlled. It looks like it would be as simple as making two holes in the wall separating the compartments and putting a plastic vent cover on each.

the wall between the pass-through and forward compartment looks like nothing more than coroplast with carpet on the pass-through side. How is it attached to the body - maybe a wooden frame to which the solar controller is also attached?
    2022 Reflection 280 RS
    2020 Silverado 2500 HD

Comment

Doing some research on replacing my stock WFCO 9855 I stumbled on this informative post. Got me thinking about maybe getting a converter with built in inverter as mentioned by Yoda. Right now I have simple AGM setup (2) 100 ah batteries and do not have a 12 volt fridge so this setup works great for us overnighting even 3 days with a portable solar panel.

Would be nice to charge laptop and maybe run instant pot but not necessary. Should I even bother with my setup or keep what has worked well and get another WFCO?
      Vivian
      2018 Reflection 303rls
      Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
      Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
        Doing some research on replacing my stock WFCO 9855 I stumbled on this informative post. Got me thinking about maybe getting a converter with built in inverter as mentioned by Yoda. Right now I have simple AGM setup (2) 100 ah batteries and do not have a 12 volt fridge so this setup works great for us overnighting even 3 days with a portable solar panel.

Would be nice to charge laptop and maybe run instant pot but not necessary. Should I even bother with my setup or keep what has worked well and get another WFCO?
        Of course you NEED a 3K Multiplus wired into a full set of Battle Born LifePO4 batteries...

Seriously, a buddy had very modest power needs so we wired in a 2K inverter and he uses an extension cord to get power wherever he wants it in his 297RSTS (make coffee, etc). Only turns on the inverter when he needs it. Everything (including his Battle Born batteries) are under the bed.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I did similar for my in laws old rig. We installed an outlet in the kitchen that was inverter all the time, and then when they were dry camping and wanted more of the rig available they plugged their shore cord into the inverter. I rigged up a 20A light switch near the inverter that killed the power to the converter and fridge so those would not run off of the inverter. You can make it as complicated or simple as you want. I have another friend with a small single axle unit where we did exactly as Howard described, they pull out that cord and turn on the inverter whenever they want to use it.

I can say that having seen and used all those methods if you have the budget, having the whole rig on the inverter is extremely nice to use, and very user friendly whenever we have guests in the rig who are not familiar with its "idiosyncrasies" . The power assist features of the bigger inverters is also a game changer when moochdocking or using less than 50A power.

Country Campers can attest to the slippery slope of upgrades.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

So basically wire the inverter directly to battery and run an extension…. Sounds easy even for me.

With the 303rls I don’t want to upgrade to lithium or even solar because we may trade this one in whenever we find a floor plan we like. Will put the money into that new rig instead. So guess I will be replacing with same WFCO converter, it has worked so far. But after my friends converter fiasco here in Canada. I want to carry a spare this one is almost 6 years old.
            Vivian
            2018 Reflection 303rls
            Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
            Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
              So basically wire the inverter directly to battery and run an extension…. Sounds easy even for me.

With the 303rls I don’t want to upgrade to lithium or even solar because we may trade this one in whenever we find a floor plan we like. Will put the money into that new rig instead. So guess I will be replacing with same WFCO converter, it has worked so far. But after my friends converter fiasco here in Canada. I want to carry a spare this one is almost 6 years old.
              Consider the AD version of the WFCO as it will charge a lithium battery so that option is available should you upgrade the batteries in your rig. No need to change any wiring (for the converter).

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Beachcamper

I would just get the simple converter/charger. If you are thinking of a new RV then I would get LIthium compatible stuff. I am not fond of the AD models as I think they do not always AD the right way.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Beachcamper Keep in mind if you are doing this yourself its all easy to move. My in laws just bought a new GD, and we took their batteries, panels, inverter, converter, and DC to DC out, cleaned it up to factory, in a half day. Demo is always easy. We left his BMV since we did not want the hole inside, and we are doing a SmartShunt in the new rig, but it all comes out pretty easy. I would not let the fear of a new rig put you off from going lithium, the batteries move super easy.
                  Last edited by howson; 08-14-2023, 07:09 PM. Reason: Fixed tag

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                  X