12volt lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12volt lights

We have 2 12 volt lights above our bed in the slide out and all of a sudden they quit working. We checked the fuse for the bedroom but was ok. Need help

Originally posted by McKim View Post
    We have 2 12 volt lights above our bed in the slide out and all of a sudden they quit working. We checked the fuse for the bedroom but was ok. Need help
    What year and model of GD RV?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I've read that the wires for the lights run up from the passthru thru the floor to beneath the bed's false floor near the wall.
      They may have some connections there and some slack in the wires for the slide moving in and out.
      Gene and Kim
      2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
      2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

We have a 2019 Reflection 35 ft

Comment

We have a 2019 Reflection 35 ft
          Hello again, McKim! At 35'...is that the 315RLTS like mine or do you have a 5th wheel? (Knowing what model you have allows those who'd like to help advise you better.)

I put my model right in my signature so it's easy for individuals to see my setup.

I suspect the "molex" connector under the slide has an issue. It looks like the one in the picture below. It's how GD transitions from stiff, hard cable to flexible wiring for slides. (At least I think it is used for 12v in addition to 110vAC. Is that right Cate&Rob?) Edit: Nope--Molex isn't used for 12vDC. See post #9 (I learned something tonight.)

But again, document your model and we can go from there. (Just trying to help.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	molex.JPG Views:	3 Size:	133.1 KB ID:	9199
          Last edited by howson; 12-14-2019, 09:15 PM.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Ours is a 5th wheel 320 MKS. Thank you for helping us as this forum is new to us

Comment

Ours is a 5th wheel 320 MKS. Thank you for helping us as this forum is new to us
              I have a travel trailer so not familiar with how the physical wiring is laid out in your 5th wheel. Country Campers , Cate&Rob or any number of other forum members will be along here soon to help.

I can tell you this--if the info I have is correct, check the light above your theater seating or the lights over the table. Are they working? (Those slide lights are on the same fused "slide circuit" as the lights over the bed.)

Edit: And no problem on being a "newbie"--we all were at one time!

Comment

Regardless of the model, howson's diagnosis is probably right. A bad/open connection will easily take out everything on that wiring loop. The offending connector could also be behind on of the lights. A voltage meter would help tremendously.

Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
                2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
                PullRite Superglide

Comment

The connectors shown in post number 5 are for 120V AC only. They are not used for 12V connecttions. But it certainly sounds like a loose connection. Pull the lights down and make sure the wiring is in place.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

My schwintek controller is mounted below bedroom on left side of passthru, with DC wires for bed lights along with schwintek motor cables feeding up to the bed slide out floor.

Cables from another rig under the schwintek slide out floor.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	DC and Schwintek Cables under Slide Out.jpg
Views:	1010
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	9219
                    Gene and Kim
                    2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                    2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

I'll take a shot at this. Look under the slide for a bunch of wires. On my unit they were in a plastic lume. Look for where the lume goes through the main trailer frame. Just inside the frame above the colorplast (sp?)belly plastic is a major junction point with all sorts of connections. Look there. However first pull the light fixtures out and check for a splice where the two are wired to each other and the power - should be close to one of the fixtures. There is usually a lot of slack in the wiring, but pull gently. Also check the back of the switch as the wires could have pulled loose there too.
                      Hope this helps
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

We're all taking shots and some repeating others. I'll put my money on Yoda 's post above but I'd reverse the order of his advice. Having recently worked beside the wiring under the slide (I was installing my own 12V supply the same way that GD does theirs) I'd guess that the supply lines running under the slide are a long shot for being responsible for a loss of the slide lights. They are loom-protected and without connectors under there. Certainly could be a problem if they get pinched or if they've been flexed a WHOLE lot of times, but not likely.

So I'm betting that the problem is related to connections above the lights or behind the switch, and hope that the OP will report back when repaired so I can collect my money.
                        Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post
                          We're all taking shots and some repeating others. I'll put my money on Yoda 's post above but I'd reverse the order of his advice. Having recently worked beside the wiring under the slide (I was installing my own 12V supply the same way that GD does theirs) I'd guess that the supply lines running under the slide are a long shot for being responsible for a loss of the slide lights. They are loom-protected and without connectors under there. Certainly could be a problem if they get pinched or if they've been flexed a WHOLE lot of times, but not likely.

So I'm betting that the problem is related to connections above the lights or behind the switch, and hope that the OP will report back when repaired so I can collect my money.
                          I don't know Mark - the Force has been a little misguiding for me lately . Hopefully McKim finds the fix easy.
                          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thanks to all of you as we used and thought about all suggestions and went under our false bottom under the bed and found that as the slide went out the wires were too taught and a couple of wires pulled apart. Fixed and have our lights

Comment

Thanks to all of you as we used and thought about all suggestions and went under our false bottom under the bed and found that as the slide went out the wires were too taught and a couple of wires pulled apart. Fixed and have our lights
                              I lost the bet!! Yoda trust the Force, it is good to you. Congratulations McKim
                              Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Working...
                              X