Charging batteries??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging batteries??

Hey all, should my 2 lead acid batteries charge while I’m hooked to the truck? While I’m running my generator? Seems that the only time they charge is while I’m connected to shore power. I do have a solar setup that was put in by the dealer. All the systems seems to work independently.

I have read that some truck will not allow the charge , I’ve got a 22 F350 diesel.

any info / advice would be appreciated

thanks!

Hi JD, and welcome to the forum. Your truck should provide some current to charge the RV batteries when the seven way connector is plugged in. As for the solar, it should be providing current to charge the batteries at the same time. If you have a volt meter, you can check them independently.

1. Disconnect from shore power, disconnect the 7-way connector on the truck, turn off the generator, and turn off any solar powered devices.
    2. Measure the battery voltage with the meter.
    3. Connect the truck, start the engine, and check the battery voltage again. If there is an increase in voltage, the truck is providing a charging current.
    4. Disconnect the truck, and turn on the generator. Once again, if the voltage at the battery goes up, then the generator is powering your converter and charging the batteries. If there is no increase, you'll need to find out how the generator is connected and if there is a transfer switch that may not be operating.
    5. Turn off the generator, and turn on the solar charging system. Again, check the battery voltage to see if it increases. If not, then the solar charging system needs to be checked.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Yoda posted an interesting note on the new Ford's. Something about the charging circuit not kicking in until the transmission was in gear?
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

First thing to check is you disconnect switch is on positon (red handle cant be removed) If off the battery's will not charge . As for the Ford trucks yo need to depress the brake peddle for it to activate charging to the trailer.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
          As for the Ford trucks yo need to depress the brake peddle for it to activate charging to the trailer.
          Good for Ford owners to know. Wonder why they would have it work that way?

I like the Dodge layout. 7 pin connector wired directly to the battery, no relays to fail, no canbus commands to activate. But I digress.
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Yoda -- and the driver's door closed, too. While testing the output with a multimeter (and going back and forth to the truck) that was a hard lesson-learned!
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Battery switch is in the on position, tan some tests, my generator is supplying power to the batteries. The truck is not. Interesting that you have to push the brake down to get constant power. I’m still building onto my solar setup to try and not have to worry as much about the batteries dying

Comment

Working...
              X