Setting up two inverter generators to run in parallel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up two inverter generators to run in parallel

I have two inverter generators that I'd like to setup to run in parallel. One is a AiPower model that is clearly marked with red/black connectors for the parallel cable. The other is a SmarterTools model that has both connectors in black (no red). Question: How do I know where to plug the red versus the black connectors on the SmarterTools generator?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Generator - 2 of 2.jpeg
Views:	204
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	92391
    Generator

Look for and electrical diagram for the Yamaha. or remove the front cover and look at the wiring to the plugs. Last is run it and use a voltage meter between each plug and the grounding screw below. Only the positive one should show power on DC
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I am not sure about doing this with 2 different generators, hopefully someone can clear this up as I am curious.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I've not read anything where someone ran different brand inverter generators in parallel. On each generator measure continuity from one parallel plug to an outlet to determine which parallel plug is hot and which one is neutral. If it were to work, connect hot to hot and neutral to neutral between generators. You may be the first person to try connecting different brand generators in parallel.
        Ted
        2021 Reflection 310RLS
        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

This might be a good place to start:
          https://www.generatorszone.com/conne...tors-parallel/
          and https://boondockingneeds.com/can-you...ze-generators/
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

The link to boondockingneeds is interesting. Stating some, but not all, brands can be mixed with each other and listing compatible brands.
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I was able to check continuity for setting up the wires (thanks Ted S for the advice). The two generators are running well together in parallel. I was able to run the air conditioner and microwave at the same time:-).

Comment

Glad it's working.
                Ted
                2021 Reflection 310RLS
                2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
                X