Couple of questions re 12V Battery connections on the 17MKE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of questions re 12V Battery connections on the 17MKE

These are related to my earlier questions on upgrading the batteries on a 2022 17MKE to 2 100 AHr Battle Born Lifepo4 batteries.

I have traced the positive battery cable back to a power buss bar located along the frame under front of the camper. Easy to get to and the battery wire terminates at a lug on the buss bar.

The negative wire travels to roughly the same place as the positive cable but then enters a bundle of wires going into a junction box and up through the insulation layer. In their wisdom, GD went with the more is better philosophy on spray foam insulation. There is about 6" of spray foam all around the cable bundle and covering where the cables enter the junction box. Without surgery on the foam, tracing that wire through it is out. It appears the wires would come up inside the nightstand beside the murphy bed on the passenger side.

(1) Has anyone with a 17MKE done the process of bringing the battery connections into the passthrough storage area? I have decided on putting the two new Battle Born batteries in there and made a box to hold the them. It fits perfectly in the notched area on the passenger side without obstructing too much of the passageway storage access. (see photos).

(2) Are there any special considerations bringing the positive cable out to the buss bar on the frame from the passthrough storage area? I'm praying to not create a mouse entrance point. Plan for now is to drill hole just big enough to get the 4 ga wire out to the buss terminal and crimp on the lug after it is outside. If the connections are brought out the floor inside the nightstand I will just drill a small hole in the paneling of the passthrough storage and feed the wires into the back of the nightstand.

The batteries on going on their side inside the box. One over the other. I will add the Victron smart shunt at the top of the box along with buss bars so that I can detach the box and remove if necessary.

Any comments, hints or suggestions greatly appreciated. I know this would be a simple task for many of the pros here but this rookie doesn't want to make any dumb mistakes.

Jack

2018 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali
    2022 Grand Designs Imagine XLS 17MKE

Hi Jack. The 17MKE is a great floor plan. I'm sure y'all enjoy using it.

If it were me, and I tend to do things the hard way, I would take advantage of the new battery location and remove all old battery wiring, then install new cables that work with the new battery location. Clean up wiring mess and make it better overall. But that's a lot more work and money.

Things to consider:
    -Size your wires/cable correctly. undersized cables can be a fire hazard.
    -Seal any intrusion points you make (holes you drilled). You can use "great stuff" foam from home depot,
    -Don't go cheap on components. Use quality stuff.
    -Try to make wiring runs as short as possible. This helps reduce cost, reduce voltage loss, and looks cleaner.

Easiest thing is as you outlined, basically swap the batteries. If you do this you will probably have to use new cables taht are a little longer. Make sure you size the cables correctly. plug any holes. Make sure you charger/converter are good with lithium.

Great idea using the Victron Smart Shunt. That will provide useful information for you. Also, great place to put your batteries. That should work really well.
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Working...
    X