Configuring GD-Supplied Battery Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configuring GD-Supplied Battery Monitor

Please forgive my posting "newby-ness", I'm new at this, will get it figured out, but need some advice. I just picked up a 2023 GD 303RLS, and have replaced the motorcycle battery with four 105Ah AGM batteries. I'm reading through the Furrion Battery Monitor setup instructions, and they say I have to discharge the batteries to 0% to set that config parameter. Is there any other way to do this? These are new batteries and I hate to intentionally flatten them for this setup.

Mark

GD 2023 303RLS, 2005 F350

Originally posted by Mark Panasci View Post
    Please forgive my posting "newby-ness", I'm new at this, will get it figured out, but need some advice. I just picked up a 2023 GD 303RLS, and have replaced the motorcycle battery with four 105Ah AGM batteries. I'm reading through the Furrion Battery Monitor setup instructions, and they say I have to discharge the batteries to 0% to set that config parameter. Is there any other way to do this? These are new batteries and I hate to intentionally flatten them for this setup.

Mark

GD 2023 303RLS, 2005 F350
    Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum. Sometimes, new products are added to the line up without telling us and we need to play catch up. This is one of those cases. Can you please provide the model number of the monitor and I'll check with our Furrion contacts about your question. BTW, the "motorcycle battery" comment made me chuckle.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The device is a Furrion High Precision Battery Monitor, FBM08A35C. I searched the Internet and this model number gets no hits, and I could not find it on Furrion's website. Hope you have luck with your Furrion contacts.

Mark

2023 Reflection 303RLS
      2005 Ford F350 (aka 'ol smokey)

Comment

This battery monitor was discussed in another post.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...r-instructions

Unfortunately, when I consulted the instructions, they were pretty clear on discharging the battery bank to set the lower limit. Wow. That is just nuts. On Victron, you just simply program the lower setting.
        Here is a link to the on-line instruction set.

file:///C:/Users/15203/Downloads/IM-FEN00032_V3.0_EN-1%20(1).pdf

I guess you could discharge the battery bank to the lowest level you want to see and then set it from there. But no way would I run the bank down to 10.5V as the instructions state. For an AGM, I'd use the depth of discharge chart as shown in the table below. I'd run the battery bank down to 11.81 volts (70% discharged) and set the meter there.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DOD AGM.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.3 KB ID:	94383

Jim
        Last edited by TucsonJim; 09-08-2022, 05:15 PM.
        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Huge thanks. I've been searching this forum and the Internet since yesterday, but didn't find anything that I trusted. I never found the thread you cite above.I'll have to play with the advanced search a bit more.

So, I don't plan to ever discharge this battery bank below 50%, at least not intentionally. That gives me 220Ah to work with, and with the factory installed 370 Watt solar panel and a 4200 Watt generator in the truck we should be good. I have basically this identical setup (a bit more PV, about 425W) before this RV and while boondocking our batteries were back on float charge by 1100 every day. That rig had Victron electronics, but Keystone had mis-wired them so while it never showed the correct state of charge, the PV panels and solar controller did a good job recharging the batteries.

Thanks again for the reality check, I'm glad I found you all.

Mark

2023 Reflection 303RLS
          2005 Ford F350 (aka 'ol smokey)

Comment

Mark Panasci Yeah the search function here is definitely a little lacking. Something we are trying to work on with a software upgrade but its slow going. In the meantime I like to use google to search the site. In the search box type site:gdrvowners.com space and your search criteria and it should work well. You can also include a member name if looking for someones post. For example typing in:

site:gdrvowners.com furrion battery monitor

Returns results including the thread Jim linked above.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Mark Panasci

I fixed the link up above so they should be active now. Also the link for the Furrion instructions is in the thread I linked to.

JIm
              Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Working...
              X