No announcement yet.

Battery drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Propane detector, radio memory even when off might be 2 places to look.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Let's nor forget any lights that are in automatic mode and the unity board if present.

And it is possible that there is a leak in the converter where it's actually drawing a touch of amperage.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        Let's nor forget any lights that are in automatic mode and the unity board if present.

And it is possible that there is a leak in the converter where it's actually drawing a touch of amperage.
        A "leak" at the output, effectively drawing in thru the output? That would be a first (for me). If his converter is a standalone, easy enough to isolate the output to verify.

If you were trolling me...well...you win.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Ron39914721 View Post
          I’m up hunting
          I expect pictures of the successful hunt.....maybe a story to go with...

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

A "leak" at the output, effectively drawing in thru the output? That would be a first (for me). If his converter is a standalone, easy enough to isolate the output to verify.

If you were trolling me...well...you win.
            I think he means the converter itself consumes a bit
            Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

I think he means the converter itself consumes a bit
              The converter is powered by ac. I suspect the dc output has diodes to prevent reverse dc flow. Reverse output connection will blow the output fuses.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

By any chance is your brake break-away plunger pulled? That 10A draw kills a battery quickly.

The factory WFCO is a lousy converter for getting a quick charge off a generator. The WFCO won't go into "bulk" mode easily and drop out too quickly when it does.

My current setup is an IOTA-55 deck-mount converter that's been in 3 trailers now, two 6V golf cart batteries, and 200W of portable solar panels. The last backup is my old Honda 2000i generator.
                2017 Imagine 2650 & 2019 F-250 (Got tired of the F-150)

Comment

Its easy to quantify the draw on various items with the Victron BMV. If heat is used at night a lead acid battery must be charged for hours (2x2.5 hr sessions for us) before hitting the hay with a WFCO converter doing the charging. I never measured over 10 amps from the near worthless WFCO converter.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post

The converter is powered by ac. I suspect the dc output has diodes to prevent reverse dc flow. Reverse output connection will blow the output fuses.
                    Yes, but it still distributes the DC. During which it may have an led glowing showing battery connected or fuse good, or whatever..causing a parasitic drain.........it may not.

Comment

Originally posted by humunuku View Post
                      howson One would think. I intentionally mentioned converter. As far as I know, my rig does not have an inverter. So I am at a complete loss regarding 1 amp drain whether I am connected to shore power or not. I will continue the investigation. Thank for reading my comment and providing feedback. You observations are always welcome.
                      You basically have 2 DC systems. One at the distribution panel (DC shutoff disconnects power to this) and one that is "always on" for the tongue jack, emergency brake, sometimes smoke detectors/carbon monoxide detectors and possibly other things. The only way to truly disconnect all devices is to remove cables from batteries or add a cut-off switch at the batteries.

Also, any solar charge controller, inverter, charger, system monitoring device, camera's, motion detecting lights, etc will have a small drain on your batteries.
                      Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

If you add a cut of switch on the ground cable from the battery to the frame, you need to turn the new switch and the OEM switch to "OFF" to completely disconnect the battery. Yes, you know how I know this.
                        John
                        2018 Momentum 395M
                        2018 Ram 3500 Dually
                        Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

I currently have everything off in my unit, including the fridge fuse pulled. My 712 is showing about 12W DC usage - currently solar charging a 5A from overnight darkness. That 12W can only be parasitic drain for the items powered at all times. So without the fridge there is a 1 amp draw. Given a typical RV battery say 75 ah at 50% usable it will last about 35 hours. Not supersizing folks are finding batterys dead after a few days.

As anyone checked the power draw on a schwintec slide controller - it uses power to lock the motors when closed - just wondering what that drain is by itself as it is on the always hot side of the bus bar.

Keith
                          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Not operating the TV (Tow Vehicle) for a few weeks will also result in a dead battery. Same issue where there are systems that use the vehicle battery to maintain memory functions.

Jim

Last edited by Guest; 09-18-2022, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X